Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Try to make a team for less than Gilbert Arenas' $22M Salary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Well, when you have Drummond, Cousins, Monroe and Larry Sanders all making around the same as Jonas, it's tough to pick Jonas. Maybe next year, if he makes a leap forward.
    Drummond -> offensively limited (can't shoot outside of...like 4 ft)
    Cousins -> Defensively limited...possibly mentally limited as well (and a sub .500 FG %!)
    Monroe -> defensively limited (too slow for PF, too soft for C)
    Sanders -> Offensively limited (does he have an offense?)

Jonas -> Already solid on both ends, and shows high potential on both ends.

I don't think it's that tough. I can certainly see the argument for taking Drummond or Sanders, who can both potentially dominate defensively, if you're getting your offense somewhere else. I don't like Monroe and Cousins that much. I like Monroe more, but I don't like his D. I don't have a lot of faith in things suddenly "clicking" in terms of attitude for Cousins.

And, well, I did pick Drummond as my third big, but I think JV and Davis have higher overall potential because of their 2-way ability....Davis having the highest overall potential because of his versatility.

Comment

Well, it depends if you are projecting the future or looking at right now based on the previous season. Jonas is not a good defensive player right now, he's far below average. He's not a good rebounder, not a passer and his efficiency relies on his limited role.

With Cousins/Monroe you have more experienced and physically developed players with more offensive ability.

With Sanders or Drummond, you have a legit defensive presence --- which to be fair most of the teams in this thread probably need more than anything because they are full of cheap rookies. I mean, Anthony Davis + Jonas is an ugly defensive frontcourt, going by last year. But long term, sure, I'm a believer. It might be brilliant.

Comment

Well, it depends if you are projecting the future or looking at right now based on the previous season. Jonas is not a good defensive player right now, he's far below average. He's not a good rebounder, not a passer and his efficiency relies on his limited role.

With Cousins/Monroe you have more experienced and physically developed players with more offensive ability.

With Sanders or Drummond, you have a legit defensive presence --- which to be fair most of the teams in this thread probably need more than anything because they are full of cheap rookies. I mean, Anthony Davis + Jonas is an ugly defensive frontcourt, going by last year. But long term, sure, I'm a believer. It might be brilliant.
        I think you're shortselling Jonas a bit. He started the season out roughly last year, but he was a far better player defensively post all-star break. And I expect him to make a bigger jump than any of those other guys this coming season.
        *Also shortselling Davis.
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 17, 2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

pg-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year guard who can shoot
          sg-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year guard who can shoot
          sf-lebron james
          pf-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year pf who can shoot
          c-jonas valuncunias

makes the finals

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            pg-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year guard who can shoot
            sg-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year guard who can shoot
            sf-lebron james
            pf-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year pf who can shoot
            c-jonas valuncunias

makes the finals
            You are over the limit with just LeBron + Valanciunas. :P

Comment

You are over the limit with just LeBron + Valanciunas. :P
              Really? Thought lebron didnt max himself out. Sorry, replace valanciunas with 4 year undrafted college player making the minimum.

We still make the finals.

Comment

Really? Thought lebron didnt max himself out. Sorry, replace valanciunas with 4 year undrafted college player making the minimum.

He didn't. Maybe, it was backloaded or something.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

You won't make the Finals with just LeBron and 4 rookie scrubs, who do you think he is, Chuck Norris?

PS: LeBron isn't making max. He's still making quite a bit, though.

Comment

Making 22 million in Orlando?... wasn't the last time he played for a team in 2012 for Memphis? He's not even on their roster anymore.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                      Making 22 million in Orlando?... wasn't the last time he played for a team in 2012 for Memphis? He's not even on their roster anymore.
                      Amnesty effect.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                        Yes, the last time he played was with Memhis. But, he was waived by Orlando and signed a separate deal with Memphis. Orlando still paying him. Memphis not.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

That's a pretty sweet deal for someone who's career has hit rock bottom lol
                          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Well, it depends if you are projecting the future or looking at right now based on the previous season. Jonas is not a good defensive player right now, he's far below average....
                            I think you could make an argument on that. I haven't checked his game numbers but I believed he improved tremendously on defense from the start of the season to the end. So if you are going by right now, you have to consider his defensive ability based on an assessment of the last 15 - 20 games of the season. I don't believe you could say Drummond improved as significantly on D from start of the season to the end.

In addition, JV has a pretty efficiency with his shot. When I checked hoopdata, he didn't show at all until you adjusted for player averaging less than 25 minutes per game (he was certainly hurt by his early foul trouble and light use coming off injuries) but when his numbers came up he was, I think, 9th for true shooting efficiency. Could be wrong.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              I think you could make an argument on that. I haven't checked his game numbers but I believed he improved tremendously on defense from the start of the season to the end. So if you are going by right now, you have to consider his defensive ability based on an assessment of the last 15 - 20 games of the season. I don't believe you could say Drummond improved as significantly on D from start of the season to the end.

In addition, JV has a pretty efficiency with his shot. When I checked hoopdata, he didn't show at all until you adjusted for player averaging less than 25 minutes per game (he was certainly hurt by his early foul trouble and light use coming off injuries) but when his numbers came up he was, I think, 9th for true shooting efficiency. Could be wrong.
                              Jonas has high efficiency but he's a low usage player, a role player. So it's a nice aspect but it doesn't make him a better offensive player than some of the centers mentioned earlier in this thread. That's last year. This year, who knows, maybe it will all be different, maybe he'll manage to be both efficient and high usage. We have to see how his added strength translates to the NBA level --- we could have a better grasp after the Euro tournament, if Marc Gasol, Noah, Pekovic, Vucevic, Kaman, etc are playing there.

Defensively, Drummond was much better last year purely because of his physical dominance combined with aggression. Like Jonas, he wasn't the smartest defender, which is normal for a rookie; he was just much more developed physically and more athletically gifted. Jonas has a ton of that same type of attitude and toughness, and now he may or may not have enough strength to be a legit presence. I don't think Jonas projects as a better defender than Drummond long term, but I do think Jonas will be a good defender. The question is when.

Comment

Working...
                              X