The road for any off-season free agent signing runs through Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimmie wrote: View Post
    If they want to win, they're going to (have to) go into lux tax, and that's been affirmed by Colangelo in recent interviews as A-OK by MLSE for the right player. The "right player", IMO, is not Pau Gasol (and I don't think he's BC's or MLSE's "right player" either).

I also don't think Millsap is that player. He's not some all-universe PF that teams can't live without. In fact, I don't think a "starting PF" is even that player that they need to blow the farm to acquire. Amir Johnson is doing quite alright in that role, he's only 25 (and a 7-year vet), and he's under contract at a great price for his efficient production. They're in much more dire need of a solid backup 1.

This season, Toronto doesn't have to make any more changes at all (that is, their playoff future is not staked on getting another elite player). And making no changes will not affect future flexibility. The only moves that I would guess are available this season would, in fact, harm future flexibility. If you trade Bargnani for something along the lines of what's been discussed above, you're not helping yourself now or in the summer or next season. Better by far to wait and see what happens with AB -- accepting that this team is not currently built for a playoff run -- and then figure out your next move in the spring.

I realize that's anathema to those who think Bargs is a cancer that needs to be excised before this team will ever move forward. But there's just no need to sacrifice other assets just to remove AB from the equation.
    I wouldn't be suprised if that's the case. Or perhaps Bargnani is traded in a 2-for-1 deal, returning a solid backup PG and an expiring contract (with a 1st round pick would be icing on the cake, but I'm not holding my breath). Say each player made around $5M, that would save the team $5M next season. Cutting Haddadi and using amnesty of Kleiza would bring the total savings up to $11M (and the total salary down to a very manageable $63-64M).

They would have addressed one of their weaknesses (backup PG), resolved the Bargnani issue and set the team up for full MLE and Bi-Annual Exceptions in the offseason. To me, that's probably the best/safest approach for this deadline. They can still choose to make a bigger move in the offseason, if one presents itself.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      You have Trading DeRozanitus. You would not have to include DeRozan in the scenario you laid out above.
      lol just too much reading Coon's CBA FAQ!

With the Raps sitting at $57.6M before the S&T (just below the cap of $58.044M), Millsap's contract would take them over the cap. Doesn't that mean that they then have to abide by the salary matching rule? Obviously it wouldn't have to be DeRozan, but they'd have to send enough salary somehow, wouldn't they?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        lol just too much reading Coon's CBA FAQ!

With the Raps sitting at $57.6M before the S&T (just below the cap of $58.044M), Millsap's contract would take them over the cap. Doesn't that mean that they then have to abide by the salary matching rule? Obviously it wouldn't have to be DeRozan, but they'd have to send enough salary somehow, wouldn't they?
        Oh yeah.... I've got "TPE-thru-Gasol-trade-itus".

Sorry. haha

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Oh yeah.... I've got "TPE-thru-Gasol-trade-itus".

Sorry. haha
          haha!

I think it's just wednesday, a little over 2 weeks to the trade deadline and we've all got a case of "F**K-the-CBA-is-confusing-damn-you-Larry-Coon-we-just-want-to-make-the-Raptors-better-now-and-for-the-long-term-itis"!

#HardCapWouldBeSoMuchEasierToWorkWith

Comment

I am liking JJ Hickson and Dejuan Blair
            Quite a few good FA's out there, not sure which ones would be wiling to go to Toronto though.

Comment

For this to be possible certain things have to happen and hopefully they do. This is my suggestion. Hoping that the suggested things come together Raps. trade Bargnani, Gray and Klieza for Gasol. Gasol is probably done for the season. Raps. are not making the playoffs anyway so Gasol rests for the rest of the season(if necessary). The trade will not effect their performance too much thereby ensuring they finish the season around the position they are in now. OKC gets a late lottery pick which is what Raps. want.

Plan A: Matt's suggested plan.

Plan B: Let Gasol who other than being a solid 2nd scoring option, passes and rebounds really well, be the starting PF. Use MLE to sign a reliable back up PG. Even Jose might be interested considering Gasol is in the team. Gay, Gasol, Demar, Lowry, Jonas and a capable supporting staff pretty much ensures Raps. a play-off berth IMO. 19 mil.(Gasol's salary) comes off the books at the end of the season enabling flexibility. Gasol could be re-signed(maybe) for less money and more pieces could be added.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                It's a bad plan because it looks like awfully many things are left to chance for this plan to be a success.
                I fixed that for you.

Last year plan was much more simple: overpay Fields to sign Nash.

Yes, that worked.

Comment

Working...
                X