I think we have our bigs sorted out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we have our bigs sorted out

This is a four game sample size from Ed Davis this season.

PPG: 13.3
    REB: 8.0
    BLK: 1.0
    STL: 1.0
    AST: 1.5

Free Throw Percentage 88%

I'm drawing no serious conclusions until we see the larger three week sample size.

However, I will raise one prospect that I consider to be exciting should it come to fruition

By the start of next season we could have both a PF and C averaging a double double, playing tough defense, swatting shots and knocking down 70 (realistic for Ed) to 90% (realistic for JV) of their free throws.

JV and Ed both could average around 10 boards 1.5 blocks, 10pts. Not to mention all the shots they could alter

Combine that Amir Johnson playing 26 - 30 minutes between the four and the five who should be able to average roughly the same 8-10pts 6-8 boards 1.5 blocks and 75 to 80% from the free throw line.

With Amir Johnson we know what we are going to get. I'm not saying he has peaked. The jumper will get smoother, and quicker. He may eventually get that 3pt shot down, not as a regular offensive weapon but only to punish bigs that sag way off of him. If he takes more than two of those a game I'll snap.

Both Ed Davis and especially Jonas Valanciunas have the ceilings to do much better than that.

Aaron Gray and Quincy Acy as insurance are fine. What do you really expect from your 4th and 5th big. One allows you to play small ball one allows you to play big ball/hackadwight

As much as we shit on Bryan Colangelo I am willing to make the following statement. IF he deals with Bargnani this season or in the off season (injury might force a delay to the trade deadline/off season) Then I give him full credit for building a front court with fantastic potential, who even if they don't max out and become all stars, will be gifted defensively, active on the glass, and excellent free throw shooters.

ED/JV/AMIR is a front court you can ride for the next decade provided the business end/injuries do not interfere
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

As an addendum. I do not blame Colangelo for Bargnani, as you have to draft based on potential. Bargnani's ceiling back then was a more athletic Dirk Nowitski. Any scout will tell you it takes 5 years to know what you have with a big. Entering his sixth season Bargnani looked like an all star. He seemed to take his injury seriously. He showed heart etc... 13 game Bargnani did not show back up, and frankly we don't need him anymore. This will be a huge if not the deciding factor in BCs future here
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      As an addendum. I do not blame Colangelo for Bargnani, as you have to draft based on potential. Bargnani's ceiling back then was a more athletic Dirk Nowitski. Any scout will tell you it takes 5 years to know what you have with a big. Entering his sixth season Bargnani looked like an all star. He seemed to take his injury seriously. He showed heart etc... 13 game Bargnani did not show back up, and frankly we don't need him anymore. This will be a huge if not the deciding factor in BCs future here
      +1

Drafting Bargnani wasn't a mistake, it was not only the best fit, but it was the player with the highest potential.

I disagree that we "don't need him anymore" though, regarding 13-game Bargnani. We would be a lot better off with him. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
        +1

Drafting Bargnani wasn't a mistake, it was not only the best fit, but it was the player with the highest potential.

I disagree that we "don't need him anymore" though, regarding 13-game Bargnani. We would be a lot better off with him. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to exist anymore.
        I really still dont see the fit! we didnt need another PF back then with Bosh & Bargs was never projected to be a Defensive stopper C..& we still could have used a Good SF at that point too.. BC picked Bargs because Gherardini wispered it in his ear while giving him a reach around!! LOL

Comment

Drafting Bargnani wasnt a mistake he was the clear cut best player in that draft, but where you go from there makes all the difference and well Bargnani doesnt have the work ethic to make himself a more complete player 7 years and he still hasn't become a "student of the game" as Casey would say.

Bargnani shoulda/coulda/woulda been a beast it was the right pick it just Did not happen.

Comment

Finally a reasonable thread with numbers logic about the state of the team, and the state of bargnani. Kudos to the both of you. My only concern is ED and Amir playing with Lowry, until ED develops some offensive arsenal, hes going to need to be spoon fed a little bit. I hope the losing is just wearing on Lowry and when we start grabbing some W's he'll start trusting people.

Comment

im gonna revisit this thread 3 weeks from now, but ed has been doing great all season and hope he can keep it up and develop some post moves.

I dont think we should trade bargs just for the sake of trading him. I still think he brings alot to the table offensively and think he would be a great 6th man for the raptors (or any team). With 30 mins, playing against the opposing secondary and playing crunch time, Bargs will bring great value to this team.

Comment

Don't forget Tomislav Zubcic
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

thead:

ED must develop a move to the right hand that is effective - the league will be sitting on his "always left" predisposition.

Comments on AB also apply to JV. The organization has to be in place to mold a prospect into an All Star. As with Dirk, it doesn't happen by luck and happenstance. Dirk was wallowing for several years before the light went on.

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                    im gonna revisit this thread 3 weeks from now, but ed has been doing great all season and hope he can keep it up and develop some post moves.

I dont think we should trade bargs just for the sake of trading him. I still think he brings alot to the table offensively and think he would be a great 6th man for the raptors (or any team). With 30 mins, playing against the opposing secondary and playing crunch time, Bargs will bring great value to this team.
                    Having an $11-12 million dollar player as your sixth man is not "great value". It is the opposite unfortunately. To put it into perspective, Jamal Crawford, who is just about everyone's choice as the best bench player in the league right now, makes roughly half of what Bargnani does.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                      Having an $11-12 million dollar player as your sixth man is not "great value". It is the opposite unfortunately. To put it into perspective, Jamal Crawford, who is just about everyone's choice as the best bench player in the league right now, makes roughly half of what Bargnani does.
                      While I understand this theory it's not hard to argue it with the two bigs in front of him on rookie scale contracts. It's not as if the money being spent on bigs is through the roof...

Comment

I hope we've got our Bigs sorted out but let's wait for a bit. If around mid January, Jonas and Ed are still doing a good job we can feel assured that they are our regular starting Bigs. All praise to Ed Davis who in many trade proposals was a throw in, for taking full advantage of the opportunity. He has proved that there is no substitute for hard work.

Bargnani I think should be traded if a good offer comes along, whether Jonas and Ed pan out or not. It is now clear what he can do and I don't think there's anymore to his game which IMO is not bad. He would nicely fit in as a sixth man or something on a contending team.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                          While I understand this theory it's not hard to argue it with the two bigs in front of him on rookie scale contracts. It's not as if the money being spent on bigs is through the roof...
                          I wouldn't call my comments a theory per se. Compare what the Raptors would be paying Bargnani as their sixth man relative to what some of the other top bench performers in the league are making. Bargnani would have to play out of his mind as a bench guy - which is far from a guarantee of course - in order to say that the Raps were getting even fair value for his contract let alone "great" value. It may be slightly easier to stomach if the starters in front of him are both on rookie scale deals but it doesn't make it any better value.

Comment

Working...
                          X