Chad Ford speaks of Deng to Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LeeZ wrote: View Post
    Finally, a semblance of sanity has appeared in this thread. Thank you, good sir. I would make this trade in a HEARTBEAT, and I think Casey would have multiple orgasms if BC pulled the trigger. But, that being said, I don't have a clue about the severity of Deng's injury nor his prognosis. My feelings are based solely on Deng pre-surgery.
    You both need to lay off the crack cocaine. Deng is worse than iguodala and were giving up THE 8TH PICK for him. With the 8th pick we could get a player that will be much better than deng in a cople of years. Making this trade will not only make this team mediocre but it will get BC fired and the rebuilding project fucked up. If it was just deng for Calderon and maybe the 56th pick then it would make sense. But 8th pick in arguably the best draft in these past few years? Hell no

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      How doesn't having an all star ace wing defender in the prime of his career help the Raptors?
      Nothing personal about Deng and his allstar selection. He was a Reserve All Star (whatever that means) and his coach Thibodeau was the coach of the East team. He "beat out" Josh Smith for that spot which says something about the selection process. Would you rather have Deng over J Smith? Like I said this supposed deal is an exchange of the 8th pick for the 29th which is worse or just as bad as an exchange of Josh Smith for Luol Deng. Hollinger says that Deng was 53rd in PER and had missed 25% of the Bulls games at that point. Even Deng for Jose straight up is uneven because of the contracts/no. of years. And the man is going to have his wrist operated on to boot.

Comment

I like Deng and all, but this aint worth it. Even w/ out the picks. And with that, which other SF's can we target? Not involving our pick.

Comment

the guy was a huge part of what could have been a championship team this season. If Noah didn't explode his ankle and Rose his knee. I don't think we are in any position to turn down all star SFs. Having said that this deal isn't likely
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
            I like Deng and all, but this aint worth it. Even w/ out the picks. And with that, which other SF's can we target? Not involving our pick.
            Unfortunately availability of good SFs this year are minimal and is the major reason why they command a premium. This is ok I suppose if it acquisition to take your team over the top sotospeak and become a major contender (at least 2 rounds of the playoffs). The Raptors are nowhere close to that status and with all the holes that exist on the team giving up the 8th pick in a draft and transaction like this one does not make sense. I am afraid some on the forum want to speed up the process to respectability and this is a recipe for mistakes. Nicolas Batum a SG/SF is a RFA but highly valued by Portland who will probably sign him even at a high cost if another team makes a play for him. All to say that if we do not draft one we stick with JJ & Kleiza to start the year and spend our assets in areas that are not in such short supply at this time. Gay who might have been available (but at a hefty cost) might not be now that the Grizzlies have new ownership. Stay tuned.

Comment

seems like the bulls are using roses off year to retool and reload by sending out a player who has a pretty large contract. so we send them a top 8 pick and 10 million in savings next year and absorb dengs contract this year giving them another 2.5 million this year in immediate savings when they are a team who will definately not be a the top of their game next year.

bad trade for us to include the pick. why would we want to help an eastern conference team get rid of a player with history of nagging injury?

i think the immediate cap savings of joses contract and a lottery protected 2013/14 pick is more then enough help for the current chicago dilemna

Comment

Deng is one of the better SFs on defense in the NBA, but the Raptors would have to sacrifice a lot in this trade. I would prefer the Gay trade. But I wouldnt be really disapointed with this trade if the Raptors would get a solid PG in free agency

Comment

how doesn't having an all star ace wing defender in the prime of his career help the raptors?
                  x 1,000,000
                  The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

If there is a follow up deal to get Tyreke somehow then I would be alright with this trade, Deng doesn't need to have the ball in his hands to be effective at least from I've seen and that way it's not so bad that Tyreke is dominating the ball. Plus then you do have somebody else that can dribble up the court and create their own shot... IMO it would make a nice line-up
                    and since Calderon went back for him we still have some cap space after. The question is how though.
                    ????
                    Evans
                    Deng
                    Bargnani
                    Val
                    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

How doesn't having an all star ace wing defender in the prime of his career help the Raptors?
                      Deng can defend slightly better than JJ, and can hit shots when he's open...that's about it. Is that worth giving up a lotto pick for? Hell nawww!

We still have nobody to give the ball to in crunch time.

Comment

People here massively over value picks. Deng may not be a top 5 small forward but he is a good fit for this team and he comes from a team that is among the best in the league so he may bring that winning mentality. He has ridiculous size and length, plays great D, and actually shoots pretty well from 3. People here seem to like Gay but he is a pretty awful distance shooter, which is one of the things Casey said we need. Igi is better but he doesn't have much size and a line up of him an Derozen may have some trouble dealing with the big 3's around the league. I think Deng is the perfect fit here and I really like the deal, assuming we can find a good replacement for Calderon. I do think it's tipped a little bit in the Bulls favor (Calderon is pretty good) but if they threw in a protected future first I'd probably do the deal.
                        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I think people are over-valuing Deng simply because he plays for the Bulls. How integral was Deng prior to Rose and Thibodeau arriving? Was anybody raving about him while playing alongside Kirk Hinrich? Deng's a good player on a great team, but not somebody who's going to make a substantial difference on a lottery team by himself...he's not that kind of player. He's a role player.

We just witnessed 4 months of excruciatingly painful basketball. Do we really want to give it up for Deng, especially considering that someone like Terrence Jones could be Deng-like in 2 years?
                          Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:14 AM. Reason: Kurt = Kirk

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            could be Deng-like in 2 years?
                            I think we are more or less done with "coulds" we want "are already"
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Did people actually read Ford's comments? He's just saying if the bulls were going to get into the lottery how they'd most likely he able to do it. It's not a rumor at all.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Luol Deng is a nice player, but not the right player for the Raps at this time. He's basically a 3rd or 4th guy on a playoff team.. we don't need that since we already kind of have that guy in Bargnani.

If we traded Bargnani straight up for Deng, I'd probably think hard about it.. but to trade our 8th pick is not smart.

Deng is still semi-young at 27, but he's owed $27M in two years.. where as Iggy is owed about $30M in two years (and his second year is a player option). I think Iggy is more valuable and I don't want him either. I think trading for Deng is a move towards mediocrity, IMO.

Bryan I believe drafted him in Phoenix.. I hope that's not a sign that says he's interested.
                                -Deng is not as "flashy" as Iggy, but (IMHO) better scorer, much better mid range shooter & will cost us a lot less.
                                Personally I'd take Deng straight up over Iggy, but that is just me.
                                Why are we so "infatuated" with Gay & Iggy? Trying to get players we should have gotten in draft?
                                If we "have to" trade for a SF, Deng is by far the best option (remember, Deng to To is just Ford shootin' breeze) -As good a defender as Iggy, not as good (but improvement over JJ & Iggy) on offence as Gay -either as shooter or more importantly in creating his own shoot.
                                Last, but not least -Deng would likely cost less to acquire & has a cheaper contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X