Hmmm ... Jose vs. Hedo Turmoil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm ... Jose vs. Hedo Turmoil?

Saw this over at the RealGM courtesy of supersub15 and thought I'd share.

This was from what he here Paul Jones say on FAN590 this morning:

Jonesy was on the fan this morning and was asked about calderon's disappointing season. He said that, while not public nor outwardly or anything like that, hedo and calderon were fighting over the ball, because both want it in their hands.

Don't know how much this affected the team, but it must have had some effect.

Their lack of chemistry was obvious from game one o game 82. Jose, like always, took the high road while Hedo complained to anyone who would listen about he was not being used right... If Hedo was as amazing has he thinks he is he would have been able to play well off the ball. Getting in the right places on the floor for open shots and opportunities to drive and kick. Didn't happen.

Comment

Jay Triano gave up on the Jose-Hedo combination too soon.

They needed more time, more opportunities, to try and figure things out.

Maybe they still fail ... but they should have had the chance. Both players were too important to the team.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

With all the scouts, coaches, helpers & hangers on in the organization, wouldnt someone with any expertise question the big signing about his tendencies and expectaions before opening the cheque book? Or was seeing him on TV enough to break the bank? With all the basketball minds here, someone didnt see any problems that might occur, or did Hedo say all the right things in the interview ? When we signed O'neal we had a similar problem where CB was getting the ball in the low blocks where Jermaine liked it and J.O. didnt know what else to do, and when J.O. got it down low, CB didnt know what to do. Thats why some organizations like Utah and San Antonio are successful, cuz they have a system in place and bring in players that they know can be successful in that system, they dont change the system to suit the players.
        JT had a bunch of babies crying to run the offense their way and did nothing to show who was in charge here.

Comment

When I pointed out this issue during preseason camp, people told me that I am nuts because Calderon is not a selfish player. There is only one ball during regular game time, it can't be in two hands in the same time. Both Calderon or Hedo are at their best when they have the ball in hands early on clock. Is true, Calderon is not selfish and he would play off the ball, but that doesn't mean that overall it wouldn't affect his game. Hedo on the other hand, never tried to adjust his game, he just wanted everybody to adjust for Hedo's style. Actually, I believe that Bosh style is even more incompatible with Hedo's current style. Bosh is not Howard to pick up offensive rebounds off Hedo's missed jumpers or to create space for Hedo's or to bail out Hedo's reckless drives to paint.
          Hedo must understand that the kind of game he played in Orlando is not going to work in Toronto and to try to find different ways to blend in. But for this to happen, we would need a head coach that knows how to convince Hedo and others to play based on the custom tailored recipe for Raptors squad.

Comment

RikkJames wrote: View Post
            With all the scouts, coaches, helpers & hangers on in the organization, wouldnt someone with any expertise question the big signing about his tendencies and expectaions before opening the cheque book?
            How do you know they didn't? How do you know that Hedo didn't say all the right things?

Comment

I don't...that why i asked " or did Hedo say all the right things in the interview ? "

Comment

I would like to believe a guy with Colangelo's experience and upbringing doesn't hand out $50M on a whim.

Comment

Me too, but the way he played...Hedo should've been wearing a mask all season cuz MLSE got robbed.

Comment

Offensively speaking, I thought the Raptors offered a very good situation for Hedo Turkoglu's game. Jay Triano gives his players a great deal of freedom on the court which Turkoglu needs + the Raptors personnel is built for pick and roll basketball which is Turkoglu's bread and butter.

Hedo Turkoglu just wasn't given enough of the ball and he doesn't have the mentality to go out there and demand it. Instead, he looked for a way to fit in in a supporting role and he did so effectively (offensively).
                    nbaroundtable

Comment

RikkJames wrote: View Post
                      Me too, but the way he played...Hedo should've been wearing a mask all season cuz MLSE got robbed.
                      I liked that one, I must admit.

Comment

Raptor stat guy says:

There’s no question, with the Hedo question, you asked about his role. I mean, yeah, we … possessions that he plays role as creator, not necessarily as ball-handler in terms of bringing the ball up the court but once you’ve gotten into the quarter-court, if he is … I don’t know how you want to characterize it in normal lingo. When he’s the guy running the offense, when it gets to him, he’s the one having to do the shot creation, those are our most valuable possessions. I mean, Jose is a great point guard, Jack is a very good point guard and they have definitely some strengths but Hedo, in the half-court, is a unique player in terms of what he does against defenses. We benefit a lot from that so if you watch Raptors games, I think you’ll see that a fairly significant percentage of our offensive plays when we’re running the half-court will go right through Hedo when he’s on the floor and that’s totally intentional. Now, did Jay do that because of stuff we told him or did he do that because he appreciates Hedo’s talents? I don’t know what the answer is. It’s probably a culmination of the two, I guess.

Source:

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2010/...ucker-part-ii/

Comment

http://www.magicbasketball.net/category/interviews/

Comment

Jose 'the matador' Calderon and Hedo Turkpocalypse were abominations this year. Jose hasn't been serviceable for two years and Hedo is incapable of being a good player on a bad team. He is a chameleon and blends into what ever the situation is. This was a shitty situation and so he turned into well shit.

Having said that, there is definitely a market for Hedo. One epic fail of a year doesn't erase all all the positives from Orlando. If you ever listen to Chuck and Kenny, they are always praising Hedo and condemning the raptors. Its reasonable to believe that other organizations see this past year as blip on his record are ignoring the blimp he has turned into.

Jose isn't going anywhere, no wants to 9 million dollar point guard who can no longer shoot, run an offense or adapt to other players strengths, oh and he's the worst defensive point guard in the league. Luckily he's a competent back up and should stay that way for the rest of his days.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              If Hedo was as amazing has he thinks he is he would have been able to play well off the ball. Getting in the right places on the floor for open shots and opportunities to drive and kick. Didn't happen.
                              Replace Hedo with Calderon and same can be applied to Calderon

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                              Actually, I believe that Bosh style is even more incompatible with Hedo's current style. Bosh is not Howard to pick up offensive rebounds off Hedo's missed jumpers or to create space for Hedo's or to bail out Hedo's reckless drives to paint.
                              +1

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              How do you know they didn't? How do you know that Hedo didn't say all the right things?
                              Hahaha. I like to hear you when you are intentionally flipping the situation Apollo. As if hedo called BC and requested a interview to join Raptors squad when he was sitting on the desk in Portland, Then convinced him to give extra 3 mil. Funny...

Dave wrote: View Post
                              Offensively speaking, I thought the Raptors offered a very good situation for Hedo Turkoglu's game. Jay Triano gives his players a great deal of freedom on the court which Turkoglu needs + the Raptors personnel is built for pick and roll basketball which is Turkoglu's bread and butter.

Hedo Turkoglu just wasn't given enough of the ball and he doesn't have the mentality to go out there and demand it. Instead, he looked for a way to fit in in a supporting role and he did so effectively (offensively).
                              I agree the rest but both Bargs&Bosh are not excellent partners for proper P'nRs.

mo-sales wrote: View Post
                              Having said that, there is definitely a market for Hedo. One epic fail of a year doesn't erase all all the positives from Orlando. If you ever listen to Chuck and Kenny, they are always praising Hedo and condemning the raptors. Its reasonable to believe that other organizations see this past year as blip on his record are ignoring the blimp he has turned into.
                              Miami !!!

If BC accept Beasley in return.

Comment

Working...
                              X