Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeMar DeRozan or Klay Thompson - Who you got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    To be honest, I really don't know.

Neither DeRozan or Thompson are going to carry the load offensively solo so I guess it depends on the other players on your team. Lots of solid 3 pt shooters, go DD. Need outside threat to open things up, go Klay.

When it comes to defense though, there is no question. Have people forgotten DD guards the weakest link on the other team? He's made strides but he is still given the "Calderon" treatment by Casey.

Thompson was guarding Chris Paul in the playoffs. Let that sink in.
    And how did he fair guarding Chris Paul, vs DeMar guarding JJ, the Nets top dog, errrr weakest link. any videos of his guarding Chris Paul prowess available

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
      I'm curious as to how many Warriors games you guys all watched last year to deduct that Klay Thompson is an overrated defensive player?

He played 800 more minutes than Iguodala (the equivalent of just under 17 full games) and 1100 more minutes (equivalent of 23 full NBA games) than Bogut. Maybe he deserves more credit for their incredible defence than you guys think?
      i may agree with your position but the late games for tsn and sportsnet were 90% of the time golden state so their was plenty of time to watch the warriors compared to other western conference teams

Comment

chico wrote: View Post
        And how did he fair guarding Chris Paul, vs DeMar guarding JJ, the Nets top dog, errrr weakest link. any videos of his guarding Chris Paul prowess available
        Well you could always you know...watch warriors games. The statement that Iggy always defends the oppositions best player isn't always correct, if it's a point guard typically it's Klay defending them. You'd regularly see him defending Tony Parker, Paul, Westbrook etc and he does an admirable job. He's certainly not elite, but he's pretty good, and he needs to be considering how poor Curry is.

Comment

You want to compare an AS SG guarding a questionable AS SG on the down slope of his career with a SG guarding an all NBA first team selection PG????

You didn't let it sink in long enough.

Comment

GSW tried to package KT for KL. TOR made no such attempt to deal DeDe. Clearly, one player is more valuable to his organization than the other. To basketball insiders/front office personnel Mr. Thompson remains expendable, rather than invaluable. Advantage: DeRozan

Comment

godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
              GSW tried to package KT for KL. TOR made no such attempt to deal DeDe. Clearly, one player is more valuable to his organization than the other. To basketball insiders/front office personnel Mr. Thompson remains expendable, rather than invaluable. Advantage: DeRozan
              I would give the nod to DD over Thompson overall, but it's worth noting that this isn't what happened at all, nor is it a great way to figure out these things.

Comment

godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
                What? The opposite happened - GSW refused to include Thompson in a trade for Love, which is why the two teams couldn't agree to terms.

It's basically the biggest "pro" argument for Klay's defense here - a top 5 defensive team wouldn't trade him for a 26 & 12 PF because they figured they'd be worse off without Thompson's guard defense, which is essential for making a defenseless Steph Curry work as a cornerstone player.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  You want to compare an AS SG guarding a questionable AS SG on the down slope of his career with a SG guarding an all NBA first team selection PG????

You didn't let it sink in long enough.
                  Actually, you were the one comparing Klay's defense with DeMar's defense, based on no evidence beyond who he guarded, with no reference to actual basketball results to illustrate his abilities, so I was looking for something relevant to "sink in", and thought you may have it. I asked. You gave nothing but smart-ass. That sunk in quickly!

I also pointed out that the generalized "DD always guards the weakest link" in your "let that sink in" statement, isn't quite true, as DeMar guarded the opposition's strongest link, in the same first round, while also carrying the load of being his team's strongest offensive link in the series, unlike Klay's catch and shoot responsibilities. How many guys in the league can cover the opposition's top dog very well, while also being the top dog on their own team? Which brings up the fact that "questionable AS SG on the down slope of his career" JJ also caused LeBron and Miami problems as well, as he performed as well as he did vs the Raps.

Just saying. Your argument I responded to is lacking in both accuracy and substance. to be worth letting sink in.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    What? The opposite happened - GSW refused to include Thompson in a trade for Love, which is why the two teams couldn't agree to terms.

It's basically the biggest "pro" argument for Klay's defense here - a top 5 defensive team wouldn't trade him for a 26 & 12 PF because they figured they'd be worse off without Thompson's guard defense, which is essential for making a defenseless Steph Curry work as a cornerstone player.
                    I haven't heard/read anything about that being GSW's reasoning. Any source available?

Comment

I haven't heard/read anything about that being GSW's reasoning. Any source available?
                      http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...evin-love-deal

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/23/war...vin-love-trade

http://grantland.com/features/kevin-...tate-warriors/

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/klay-th...46743-nba.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...evin-love-deal

Comment

I'll stick with Demar, because he gets to the line a lot and he's already on our team. If it was a draft though, I'd rather the other guy have to chose. Thompson is also young and improving. It's just so hard to tell how much of Klay's success is due to the Curry effect.
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I like Derozan b/c he can create his own shot which is essential to a #1 or 2 option.
                          Klay doesn't have the handles to get his own shot, and his production from offense is b/c the main focus of the defense is on Steph Curry, Iguodala or David Lee is the 2nd option, and then Klay.

And on bad nights when Klay's shot is off, he doesn't really bring that much more to the table than Derozan.

Derozan is really athletic, gets to the line a lot, is showing glimpses of a post game, and when his 3 point shot gets a little better, he can easily be a number 1 option

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

I had bolded your assertion that GSW's reasoning was "because they figured they'd be worse off without Thompson's guard defense", as I hadn't heard that as given for their reasoning, which I think is much more complex than that anyway. I can't be bothered to look through more than the 1st 2 articles you've provided, as neither of them comes close to stating such reasoning.

Comment

Sam Amick of USA Today wrote a lengthy piece on the Warriors not wanting to give up Thompson for defensive reasons which can be read here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ates/12876193/

Comment

I had bolded your assertion that GSW's reasoning was "because they figured they'd be worse off without Thompson's guard defense", as I hadn't heard that as given for their reasoning, which I think is much more complex than that anyway. I can't be bothered to look through more than the 1st 2 articles you've provided, as neither of them comes close to stating such reasoning.
                                Hahaha - maybe you haven't heard about this because your refuse to read the pieces on it? You honestly just made me LOL.

I should end this right here if you've got the M.O. of asking for things, ignoring the follow up, and sticking to your uninformed opinion out of pure laziness, but I'll give you one last freebie. This is from one of the articles you claim to have actually read:

"In the context of the Warriors' backcourt, Thompson's work becomes all the more important. He's asked on a near-nightly basis to oppose the most dangerous guard, in many cases sliding over to defend the point so that Curry can be hidden on a lesser threat. As such, Thompson is often the first line of defense against the league's deepest position.

This is the case for many reasons, not least of which is that Thompson is far better at defending point guards than Curry. He's generally quick enough to prevent drives and contest shots, all while being better equipped to handle the physical toll of navigating an endless string of ball screens. Curry, on the other hand, can sometimes surrender favorable angles and tends to wear down with contact more quickly. To have Curry keep within his position on defense, then, puts at risk all that he offers on offense by extension. Thompson is, in a sense, the strategic fulcrum that helps keep the Warriors on balance.

That value is obvious."

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/23/war...vin-love-trade

If you're looking for a statement from ownership saying "We are not trading Klay Thompson because we value his defensive contributions over Kevin Love's offense" you won't get it - front offices don't make statements like that, ever. If you read any of these pieces and use your noggin, you will get it.

Whatever. Basketball nursery school is ovah. It's ovah. Let's go home.

Comment

Working...
                                X