Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbosa traded to Pacers for 2nd round pick (Official - post 155)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Remember Bayless' post game interview after the cavs game? (its ok if you don't). As he ran off camera he said "Free LB". Matt and Jack took it as Free LV but it sounded like LB to me. Did he, along with everyone else, see this coming? Or did I not hear right?
    You might be right! I don't know what else he would be referring to. Maybe he has been asking to be traded.

Colangelo took the best thing offered. I would be okay with that. We may have gotten a first rounder but we would have to have taken back salary. Taking back Luke Walton in a trade is definitely not something that I would have done either.

Comment

Remember Bayless' post game interview after the cavs game? (its ok if you don't). As he ran off camera he said "Free LB". Matt and Jack took it as Free LV but it sounded like LB to me. Did he, along with everyone else, see this coming? Or did I not hear right?
      Nah, Bet referring to going to a bar hoping to get free Labbat's Blue.

Comment

what the fucks lv? anyways i doubt it was that, although i hear jesse ventura could use another conspirator if youre interested.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• BC must really dislike Barbosa. Not only has Barbosa said he wanted to stay here, but he was traded to Indiana. A team that has fleeced us before and again now, as well as a team that we, the raptors, have had altercations with in the past 2 seasons.

Comment

• Hollinger's grade:

Indiana: B

I'm not crazy about Barbosa in Indy, because he's another blind gunner on a team that already has too many of them. But I can see the logic here, too. It's another beggars-can't-be-choosers deal, as the Pacers basically use their cap space to get a free player. In fact, Indiana was below the league minimum and was either going to be paying Barbosa or giving the money to all the other players on the roster to make up the difference.

He'll upgrade their backup shooting guard spot too, as Lance Stephenson has been a failure and Dahntay Jones up and down. He's an expiring deal and I'll be shocked if Indy keeps him beyond this season, but as a rental shooting guard, this was about as good as they could hope for.

Toronto: B

You knew Barbosa wasn't long for Toronto when it used Gary Forbes as the backup point guard against Cleveland two nights ago. The Raps unload their financial obligation for the rest of this season, open more minutes for the likes of Forbes and Jerryd Bayless in the backcourt, and can start seeing how everyone meshes with the recently returned Andrea Bargnani heading into this summer. We don't know the details on the pick but at best it will be in the 50 range, so that part has limited value at best.
            Source: ESPN.com

Comment

• i like the trade. was hoping for a late first or early second but the early seconds aren't going to want barbosa and the late firsts were going to have to send salary back. so it pretty much had to be indy or utah i think. does anyone have a list of the prospects slated 37-55? it will probably be one of these guys unless bc goes off the radar.

Comment

• If It becomes the 55th I wouldnt mind seeing if Laurent Rivard from Harvard
                Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                  i like the trade. was hoping for a late first or early second but the early seconds aren't going to want barbosa and the late firsts were going to have to send salary back. so it pretty much had to be indy or utah i think. does anyone have a list of the prospects slated 37-55? it will probably be one of these guys unless bc goes off the radar.
                  DraftExpress.com 2012 Mock Draft is a good place to start your research.

Comment

• What's the likelihood of packaging the two second rounders and a current player of a first round pick? I know, I know, it depends on which team you are talking about, but say a first rounder in the 20 - 27 range? Point guard? would anybody in their be an upgrade on Bayless? Kabongo?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      What's the likelihood of packaging the two second rounders and a current player of a first round pick? I know, I know, it depends on which team you are talking about, but say a first rounder in the 20 - 27 range? Point guard? would anybody in their be an upgrade on Bayless? Kabongo?
                      I think it is highly likely.

Top teams often avoid the guaranteed contracts of 1st round picks because, for the most part, they sit on the bench and either eat cap space for free agency or affect the luxury tax situation. Especially with the size of the MLE being determined regular or mini based on where the contract places the overall salary of the team, this could be a possibility. Who knows though - just one of the many changes made by the new CBA that may or may not be a factor.

I don't know the team or the players but 2 second round picks + up to $3M certainly seems possible on draft night for a 1st round pick.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I think it is highly likely....I don't know the team or the players but 2 second round picks + up to $3M certainly seems possible on draft night for a 1st round pick.
                        Made my day.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Not quite true. They do get an exception. To get the cap space they would have to renounce the TPE.
                          Nope.

The Raptors were at ~$52M before the trade. The salary cap is $58M.

So obviously no TPE.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                            Nope.

The Raptors were at ~$52M before the trade. The salary cap is $58M.

So obviously no TPE.
                            Yup.

The Raptors payroll means nothing when it comes to exceptions.

So obviously a TPE was created - the issue is whether it will be used in a trade or if it will be renounced to create salary cap space in free agency *EDIT* or renounced to absorb a larger contract than the size of the TPE within their cap space *EDIT*

20. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 30, 31, 32, 33). A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So being under the cap does not necessarily mean a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $49.5 million, and a team has $43 million committed to salaries. They also have a Mid-Level exception for $5 million and a Traded Player exception for $5.5 million. Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions are added to their salaries, putting them at $53.5 million, or $4 million over the cap. So they actually have no cap room to sign free agents, and instead must use their exceptions.

Teams have the option of renouncing their exceptions in order to claim the cap room. So in the example above, if the team renounced their Traded Player and Mid-Level exceptions, then the $10.5 million is taken off their team salary, which then totals $43 million, leaving them with $6.5 million of cap room which can then be used to sign free agent(s).

Starting January 10 of each season, the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual, Larry Bird, Early-Bird and Non-Bird exceptions begin to reduce in value. For example, if there are 180 days in the season, then these exceptions (if they are still unused) reduce by 1/180 of their initial value each day starting January 10. If a team uses their $5 million Mid-Level exception on February 1, then the exception is actually worth $4,361,111.

The Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and Traded Player exceptions may be lost entirely, or the team may never receive them to begin with. This happens when their team salary is so low that when the exceptions are added to the team salary, the sum is still below the salary cap. If the team salary is below this level when the exception arises, then the team doesn't get the exception. If the team salary ever drops below this level during the year, then any exceptions they had are lost.

For example, with a $49.5 million salary cap, assume it's the offseason, and a team has $41 million committed to salaries, along with a Mid-Level exception for $5 million, a Traded Player exception for $2.5 million, and an unrenounced free agent whose free agent amount is $2 million. Their salaries and exceptions total $50.5 million, or $1 million over the cap. What if their free agent signs with another team? The $2 million free agent amount comes off their cap, so their team salary drops to $48.5 million. This total is below the cap so the team loses its Mid-Level and Traded Player exceptions.

There is logic behind this. The whole idea behind an "exception" is that it is an exception to the rule which says a team has to be below the salary cap. In other words, an exception is a mechanism which allows a team to function above the cap. If a team isn't over the cap, then the concept of an exception is moot. Therefore, if a team's team salary ever drops this far, its exceptions go away. The effect is that a team may have either exceptions or cap room, but they can't have both.

Source: Larry Coon CBA FAQ
                            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Mar 15, 2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• I don't think you understand what salary cap exceptions do. They only count towards team salaries if the total brings it over the cap. Suppose if the Raptors brought back someone with double the salary (not possible but let's just assume they did), then a TPE would be created because the Raptors would be over the cap.

The Raptors were never over the cap to begin with (i.e. with Barbosa) hence no TPE was created. Read the first line of your quote again.

EDIT:
                              Trading under the Salary Cap - Teams under the salary cap may make trades without regard to salary as long as they do not end up $100 000 over the cap after the trade. Teams above the cap can not acquire more than 125% plus $100 000 of the salary they trade away. Free agents may not be traded until December 15th or until three months have passed since their signing, which ever is later. If a team decides to trade a player they have recently acquired in a trade they can do so immediately if the trade is straight up for another player. If the team wishes to package that player with another to make a trade they must wait 60 days before completing said trade.
                              Source: http://www.sportscity.com/NBA/Salary-Cap

Basically, NO TPE IS CREATED since the Raptors were never over the cap. Not every trade generates a TPE.
                              Last edited by Prime; Thu Mar 15, 2012, 10:15 PM. Reason: updated with supplementary info

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                                I don't think you understand what salary cap exceptions do. They only count towards team salaries if the total brings it over the cap.

The Raptors were never over the cap to begin with (i.e. with Barbosa). Read the first line of your quote again.
                                If you want to disagree with me on CBA issues - fine - but don't argue with Larry Coon.

QUOTE:

"If a team is below the cap (which Toronto is), then their Disabled Player (Toronto has none), Bi-Annual ($1.8M Raptors do have), Mid-Level ($5M Raptors have) and/or Traded Player exceptions (new $7.6M) are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap."

(Also new CBA has a 'top up' exception valued at $2.5M which is what the Raptors used to sign Aaron Gray with - even though they were below the salary cap at the time).

Toronto's payroll, after trade, is around $47M for this season. If you add the total of all their exceptions the payroll is $58.9M (remember they used the $2.5M exception on Aaron Gray and that is included in the $47M payroll).

As Larry Coon said:

A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap.
                                He then further clarifies using the example that I just related to the Raptors:

For example, with a $49.5 million salary cap, assume it's the offseason, and a team has $41 million committed to salaries, along with a Mid-Level exception for $5 million, a Traded Player exception for $2.5 million, and an unrenounced free agent whose free agent amount is $2 million. Their salaries and exceptions total $50.5 million, or $1 million over the cap. What if their free agent signs with another team? The $2 million free agent amount comes off their cap, so their team salary drops to $48.5 million. This total is below the cap so the team loses its Mid-Level and Traded Player exceptions.
                                So if Toronto wants to use their 'cap space' they have to renounce their newly created TPE of $7.6M.

If I am wrong or misinterpreting the CBA, I apologize but based on what I'm reading from the CBA guru, I think it is correct. Show me where I am wrong if you still feel the same.

*EDIT*

Further to your statement about not understanding what an exception does, an exception allows a team to operate over the salary cap. The only way the Raptors can operate above the salary cap is to avail of their exceptions. However, they can only use their exceptions if they forfeit their cap space and they can only use their cap space if they forfeit their exceptions and hence their ability to go over the cap. Or again, as Larry Coon said:

In other words, an exception is a mechanism which allows a team to function above the cap. If a team isn't over the cap, then the concept of an exception is moot. Therefore, if a team's team salary ever drops this far, its exceptions go away. The effect is that a team may have either exceptions or cap room, but they can't have both.
                                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Mar 15, 2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X