Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rondo done for the season. Do celtics call for Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post
    Marc Stein: Sense I get is it's far likelier Celts pursue Kyle Lowry and his cap-friendly contract. But do Celts have assets to land Raps PG? We'll see

Just my opinion but how about a 3 way trade between Boston, TO and Memphis?

Memphis gets Green + draft picks
    Boston gets Lowry
    TO gets Gay
    Interesting idea, but I can't find a way to make this work in the trade machine without expanding it signficiantly. Raptors would need to send out about 9 million more in salary to make it work. Something like:
    Memphis gets Green + Bass + draft picks
    Boston gets Lowry + Bargnani
    Toronto gets Gay

As much as a supporter of Lowry as I am, if you can get Boston and Memphis to agree, you do it in a heartbeat. I don't see either of them agreeing to it though. Another interesting framework is this:

Memphis gets Calderon + Bass + picks
    Boston gets Lowry
    Toronto gets Gay

which obviously leaves Toronto with Lucas at starting PG so that position would need to be addressed separately. I think Boston does that but not Memphis.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
      Nope. Only Duncan, KG, Dirk and Kobe have the no-trade clause.
      Ok, thought I read that somewhere sometime; also not sure all these details are public. You might be right, I'm finding different opions about this on the net, but most sources name only those four you mention.

Comment

Colangelo should have a meeting with jose and find out where jose wants to sign next year.
        If jose wants to resign with us i think we should do that.
        If he wants to leave then we should a trade and get something back for him.
        Last edited by TdotTrizzy; Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          @MySportsLegion: Celtics could look to the Raptors and trade for either Jose Calderon or Kyle Lowry to make one last run with KG/Pierce. (via CBSSports)
          Trade him for their first round pick.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
            Y'all are missing the most obvious trade scenario:

Calderon for Rondo straight up.
            Would be great but ACL injury could be career limiting or even ending...

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
              Trade him for their first round pick.
              The question is what player(s)/salary would you want Toronto to take back from Boston, in order for the trade to work under the CBA? Boston doesn't really have anybody that I would want, especially considering their contracts.

I suppose an easly solution would Lowry for Lee & 1st round pick, perhaps. That Lee contract is pretty ugly, similar to Kleiza's but for even more years.

Check the Trade Proposal Forum... lots of ideas being tossed around in there today!

Comment

TdotTrizzy wrote: View Post
                Colangelo should have a meeting with jose and find out where jose wants to sign next year.
                If jose wants to resign with us i think we should do that.
                If he wants to leave then we should a trade and get something back for him.
                I believe that is tampering.

Once the season starts, extensions cannot be signed unless it is an extend and trade.

Colangelo would have to wait until July 1st to have that chat.

Now if Calderon's agent said, "We are not resigning here." well that is a different story.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  The question is what player(s)/salary would you want Toronto to take back from Boston, in order for the trade to work under the CBA? Boston doesn't really have anybody that I would want, especially considering their contracts.

I suppose an easly solution would Lowry for Lee & 1st round pick, perhaps. That Lee contract is pretty ugly, similar to Kleiza's but for even more years.

Check the Trade Proposal Forum... lots of ideas being tossed around in there today!
                  Boston has a lot of bad contracts. And remember they are in our division. No reason to make them a better team by taking their crap. So I say no to Lee, Green, Bass, or Terry. Sullinger is essentially a duplicate (a good player but not really worthwhile), and Bradley is good defensively but meh offensively (essentially a role player).

Pierce and KG are too old, and trading for an ACL injured Rondo is too high of a risk.

A third team would have to get involved, and from Boston the only asset I like is their draft pick. A 1st round pick unprotected in 2014 would be a start (and lottery guaranteed each year after next if they are not in the lottery would be helpful too). That way if Boston continues to make the playoffs they cannot use their own pick in any future trade.. which hurts them (and is a bonus since they are a division rival).

This trade works (suggested in the Trade Lowry thread):
                  http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bhy6tya

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Boston has a lot of bad contracts. And remember they are in our division. No reason to make them a better team by taking their crap. So I say no to Lee, Green, Bass, or Terry. Sullinger is essentially a duplicate (a good player but not really worthwhile), and Bradley is good defensively but meh offensively (essentially a role player).

Pierce and KG are too old, and trading for an ACL injured Rondo is too high of a risk.

A third team would have to get involved, and from Boston the only asset I like is their draft pick. A 1st round pick unprotected in 2014 would be a start (and lottery guaranteed each year after next if they are not in the lottery would be helpful too). That way if Boston continues to make the playoffs they cannot use their own pick in any future trade.. which hurts them (and is a bonus since they are a division rival).

This trade works (suggested in the Trade Lowry thread):
                    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bhy6tya
                    I would be very weary of sending Lowry to Boston. Lowry will explode where ever he lands next - I have nothing to base that on other than my own speculation and opinion... well, and his talent.

I could see the next trade Boston making after getting Lowry would be Pierce to Memphis (only $4M guaranteed for next year and Memphis gets better this year - even an old Pierce is better than a young Rudy) with Gay back to Boston. Any Rondo trade that brings back a big (say sign and trade Jefferson and Rondo to Utah?) quickly takes Boston from no longer a team on the decline but another nightmare in the Atlantic for Toronto.

I like your thinking on the pick part but I think Boston realizes their situation and is not going to be giving away a 2014 pick. Just as easy as things could quickly come together for them, it could go to hell too. I would look for their 2013 pick and the right to swap 2014.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                      i disagree about the Rondo part...without Rondo.. KG & PP would be retired already or at the very least traded...Rondo is the engine on that team now..& he is a very good playmaker..excellent actually. makes some highlight real passes, first PG since stockton to get 10 or more assists 30+ games in a row...he also set the record for most assists(24) while recording a triple double....& hes a triple double machine!
                      I'm not calling Rondo the next Darren Collison -- after all Collison only sustained Chris Paul-like numbers for a few months. But I don't think Rondo is a triple threat guy on a team with no other talent.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I would be very weary of sending Lowry to Boston. Lowry will explode where ever he lands next - I have nothing to base that on other than my own speculation and opinion... well, and his talent.

I could see the next trade Boston making after getting Lowry would be Pierce to Memphis (only $4M guaranteed for next year and Memphis gets better this year - even an old Pierce is better than a young Rudy) with Gay back to Boston. Any Rondo trade that brings back a big (say sign and trade Jefferson and Rondo to Utah?) quickly takes Boston from no longer a team on the decline but another nightmare in the Atlantic for Toronto.

I like your thinking on the pick part but I think Boston realizes their situation and is not going to be giving away a 2014 pick. Just as easy as things could quickly come together for them, it could go to hell too. I would look for their 2013 pick and the right to swap 2014.
                        Lowry is going to kick ass no matter where he goes - totally agree there. Other than Utah (as you mentioned already) I can't really see a team that has a high lottery pick (very important for any Lowry trade in my opinion) and/or young assets, and needs a starting caliber PG in the West. Perhaps Sacramento but their 2013 pick is going to Cleveland and as such can't offer a 2014 pick either.

I like the idea of Lowry to Boston because you could sell high. Boston desperately needs a PG (and everyone knows it), plus they are still in win now. Any Lowry deal to Boston would have to be done in such a way that it screws them as well for the next few years. Also I've read rumours that Memphis does not want Pierce. It's a huge risk for a team to trade for him. If you were giving up Gay would you trade him for a guy that doesn't want to play for you? Sounds like an Alonzo Mourning to Toronto type of deal. If I was giving up Gay I'd want legitimate assets not a rental.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                          TO gets Gay
                          yes it does.... once a year...

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Lowry is going to kick ass no matter where he goes - totally agree there. Other than Utah (as you mentioned already) I can't really see a team that has a high lottery pick (very important for any Lowry trade in my opinion) and/or young assets, and needs a starting caliber PG in the West. Perhaps Sacramento but their 2013 pick is going to Cleveland and as such can't offer a 2014 pick either.

I like the idea of Lowry to Boston because you could sell high. Boston desperately needs a PG (and everyone knows it), plus they are still in win now. Any Lowry deal to Boston would have to be done in such a way that it screws them as well for the next few years. Also I've read rumours that Memphis does not want Pierce. It's a huge risk for a team to trade for him. If you were giving up Gay would you trade him for a guy that doesn't want to play for you? Sounds like an Alonzo Mourning to Toronto type of deal. If I was giving up Gay I'd want legitimate assets not a rental.
                            I think Boston/Ainge realizes the thin ice they currently are on. Sadly the reality remains they don't have any assets.

If Memphis took on Pierce it would be all about competing for this season and the financial flexibility of his contract for next year and beyond.

I don't think any other player is out there that makes Memphis better now and saves money for the future.... but this is 100% speculation based on a few rumours read.

Bottom line for me is: Boston does not have enough to justify giving up Lowry.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I believe that is tampering.

Once the season starts, extensions cannot be signed unless it is an extend and trade.

Colangelo would have to wait until July 1st to have that chat.

Now if Calderon's agent said, "We are not resigning here." well that is a different story.
                              You can always have talks with a player you have under contract. It's only tampering when you are talking with a player under contract with another team. See Larry Coon's Faq.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                You can always have talks with a player you have under contract. It's only tampering when you are talking with a player under contract with another team. See Larry Coon's Faq.
                                Cool. Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X