Could the Rudy Gay trade attract free agents to T.O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the Rudy Gay trade attract free agents to T.O

Rudy comes ... Raps go 4-2 (losing to the Heat and Boston is nothing to feel bad about), Rudy gets 2 game winning shots. I actually heard reporters talking Toronto, other players and coaches are taking note.

If we somehow trade a few players, get some cap space, and we are willing to go into the taxes to get players will players actually want to come here without having to get overpaid???

I personally think with the team we have now we are a playoff team (no this year ... too big a hole), top 5 or 6 in the east next year.

Don't forget:
    - Rudy will have more time with the team.
    - Big Val and Ross will only improve.
    - DeRozan is getting more space.
    - If Bargnani stays he will be an above average 6th man.
    - This is a young team that has a Ton of room to grow.

Will Free agents actually want to come to T.O???

Milsap or bust.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I say no. It will take multiple playoff years to attract people to TO. We don't have the money until after the 13/14 season anyways.

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
        Rudy comes ... Raps go 4-2 (losing to the Heat and Boston is nothing to feel bad about), Rudy gets 2 game winning shots. I actually heard reporters talking Toronto, other players and coaches are taking note.

If we somehow trade a few players, get some cap space, and we are willing to go into the taxes to get players will players actually want to come here without having to get overpaid???

I personally think with the team we have now we are a playoff team (no this year ... too big a hole), top 5 or 6 in the east next year.

Don't forget:
        - Rudy will have more time with the team.
        - Big Val and Ross will only improve.
        - DeRozan is getting more space.
        - If Bargnani stays he will be an above average 6th man.
        - This is a young team that has a Ton of room to grow.

Will Free agents actually want to come to T.O???
        I am not sure to be honest.

I think the first factor needed to answer this is how good the Raptors will be. With a 4-2 record and 5 of 6 opponents being playoff teams, winning might be easier to sell for Toronto.

The bigger issue is going to be the CBA. The Raptors might be enticing but they are going to be limited to MLE or possibly sign and trades. They won't have cap space - even if they amnesty #tradeBargnani.

Comment

The team just won't have any money if you still have DeRozan/Gay/Bargnani on the team. Plus I don't think Toronto becomes a hot destination overnight just because they turned it on the last half of the season and finished ninth or whatever. But I do think that there's a different vibe and that it looks like a pretty fun team to play for in the limited sample size since Rudy arrived. I think any real progress starts with the playoffs though.

Comment

Note: wins against Pacers and Nuggets (without main starters).
            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
              Note: wins against Pacers and Nuggets (without main starters).
              Pacers are pretty close to where they were last year without Granger and they have played all year without him. Pacers are a good team with or without Granger.

I'll give you the Nuggets but with an asterisk: all the guys in the NBA are talented and teams scout based on the normal game plan with the normal lineup. Throwing in different players often leads to teams not prepared because the scouting report is not as thorough. I know I am grasping at straws here - just saying. haha

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Pacers are pretty close to where they were last year without Granger and they have played all year without him. Pacers are a good team with or without Granger.

I'll give you the Nuggets but with an asterisk: all the guys in the NBA are talented and teams scout based on the normal game plan with the normal lineup. Throwing in different players often leads to teams not prepared because the scouting report is not as thorough. I know I am grasping at straws here - just saying. haha
                Also must add, the *old* Raptors probably would have lost even with Denvers 3 Key players out. It's great that we can finally at least win the easy ones.
                A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

Rudy Gay's acquisition helps but winning is what attracts FA's. A 5-2 record since he came means the winning is happening. If things continue this way I don't see why FA's won't sign.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I think people overestimate free agency. A lot of big moves happen via trade.

That said, the thing that is true is that winning helps attract good value role players. If a guy is going to make a low or mid level deal somewhere no matter what, he'll go a)where he has a role, and b)where he can win....if we start making playoffs, then it can only help our chances.

Comment

Yes. Him and the wins he helping with is definitely a huge variable.

Question should be, "can we afford them?"
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

BC has one move left to make and that is trading Bargnani (+ whomever). Basically that last move will either make the Raptors a top 4 team in the east or we'll be back to being a 7th or 8th seed. If he hits a home run then yes in time we should be able to attract free agents, but I think we'll still have to over pay. Once a precedence has been set it's hard to change.

Comment

I think it does help.

A tandem of Lowry and Gay should look intriguing....especially in the weak Eastern Conference. Toronto may never be a prime destination, but I think this duo would make someone like Millsap actually consider us, whereas last year, he probably would've said, "No chance in hell I sign in Toronto".

All we need is for free agents to look at the Raptors and say, "hmmmm...maybe....", and let Colangelo's spinning/selling skills do the rest.

I think Gay's presence definitely widens the window of opportunity.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            I think it does help.

A tandem of Lowry and Gay should look intriguing....especially in the weak Eastern Conference. Toronto may never be a prime destination, but I think this duo would make someone like Millsap actually consider us, whereas last year, he probably would've said, "No chance in hell I sign in Toronto".

All we need is for free agents to look at the Raptors and say, "hmmmm...maybe....", and let Colangelo's spinning/selling skills do the rest.

I think Gay's presence definitely widens the window of opportunity.
                            Honestly, at the moment I think the Raps are likely better off taking a page from the Jays.

Let other teams sign the big free agent deals, wait a year, then make moves for guys you like who will now be making less than it would take to garner the same FA a year later. Also, look at teams who are hurting financially. The Raps traded Ed Davis (at best a backup big) and Jose Calderon (expiring deal) for a top tier SF. Why? Cause Memphis' owner wanted to dump salary. Any other teams fit that bill right now?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              Honestly, at the moment I think the Raps are likely better off taking a page from the Jays.

Let other teams sign the big free agent deals, wait a year, then make moves for guys you like who will now be making less than it would take to garner the same FA a year later. Also, look at teams who are hurting financially. The Raps traded Ed Davis (at best a backup big) and Jose Calderon (expiring deal) for a top tier SF. Why? Cause Memphis' owner wanted to dump salary. Any other teams fit that bill right now?
                              Oh the timing for 2 multi-billion dollar media corporations needing a winning product to drive advertising revenues to become owners of the Raptors has never been better!

Comment

Working...
                              X