So Bayless is the future PG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maleko wrote: View Post
    I remember BC at the end of the season praising Bayless' play to close the year showing he could be a starter. He will give him a shot. I for one liked his game when he was in Portland, and very happy when we picked him up, so put me down on the supporter side of seeing what he can do starting for an extended period. He is still young (barely older than Kemba if I am correct), and there is a shot there, but he needs to tone his ego a bit.

I would like to have seen Kemba in a Raptor's uni, although no way I would have passed over JV. No way. Brandon Knight: I certainly liked the idea of him coming in here, but after seeing his attitude going up to the podium I was utterly disappointed that I liked him, and VERY happy we passed on him (again with JV still available there was no choice but to pick the big man). Knight's behavious was nowhere near as prima donna as Steve Francis, but I got the same feeling from his walk, expression and interview. Good luck kid, you're going to a group of malcontents to mix in well!
    Knight's character is actually incredible not sure where your getting the comparisons to Steve Francis. Perhaps read up about the kid, watch his interviews and do some research before saying foolish comments.

Comment

Bayless will, in my opinion, come off the bench in a Jason Terry role.

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
      Knight's character is actually incredible not sure where your getting the comparisons to Steve Francis. Perhaps read up about the kid, watch his interviews and do some research before saying foolish comments.
      Sorry but I agree a little with Maleko. Were you watching the draft when Brandon Knight was picked? He literally had to force a smile when he was up on stage with Stern. Maybe his character is incredible but it was not demonstrated on draft night. I wouldn't compare him to Steve Francis, but it was evident that he was not happy being selected so low (or perhaps because he was selected by Detroit, who now have three players who do the same thing: Ben Gordon, Rodney Stuckey, and Brandon Knight).

Comment

good for him he was a lotto pick and he's never had a shot, after the way he ended last season he deserves to run this team for now. jose plays better off the bench plus casey said he rewards d fence, with bayless playing much better dfence than jose plus being a younger player ill be pissed if jose is STILL starting. ever since he became our starting pg have we even made the playoffs? not sayin its joses fault just pointing out a pattern
        No Dissrespect...
        With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
          As Marz said it was his attitude at the draft last night. From the reading of him and watching interviews until now I would have agreed he appeared to have character, but his immaturity last night (surprising since I did do all the research previously) was an eye opener. Perhaps heat of the moment, but wow he turned me off his character very quickly.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
            Bayless will, in my opinion, come off the bench in a Jason Terry role.

Sorry but I agree a little with Maleko. Were you watching the draft when Brandon Knight was picked? He literally had to force a smile when he was up on stage with Stern. Maybe his character is incredible but it was not demonstrated on draft night. I wouldn't compare him to Steve Francis, but it was evident that he was not happy being selected so low (or perhaps because he was selected by Detroit, who now have three players who do the same thing: Ben Gordon, Rodney Stuckey, and Brandon Knight).
            So the guy was disappointed and isn't an actor. The guy has a great track record and I think that means more then perhaps not having a world class poker face. I'll take a guy with a long well documented past of great character then someone with a big smile on draft night any day.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
              As Marz said it was his attitude at the draft last night. From the reading of him and watching interviews until now I would have agreed he appeared to have character, but his immaturity last night (surprising since I did do all the research previously) was an eye opener. Perhaps heat of the moment, but wow he turned me off his character very quickly.
              I think you're right with thinking it was heat of the moment. And if that's what would turn you off I can only imagine your thoughts on the rest of the league. I wish you were at Real Sports for the Raptors season ticket holders draft party. You would probley have Demar and Ed out the door ASAP. People make mistakes but it's the body of work/consistency that should measure character not one time (although be it in front of the world and an awful time to slip up or show emotion).

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                Their stats in college were very close, but Bayless was a notch better. His PER was 23.7 compared to Knight's 19.2.

Bayless had a FG% of 45.8% and 3FG% of 40.7%. Knight's had a FG% 42.3% and 37.7% 3FG%. Bayless' pure point rating: -0.85. Knight's is -1.10. Bayless, at 25.3% also a had slightly higher usage rate than Knight, 24.3%. Knight's a lot longer and beat him in the lane agility, but Bayless is a much better ball handler, and can jump a bit higher. But their measurements, again are alike. (All of this is from DE.)

Kemba's much more like Ford/Lawson. And he was FORCED into a scoring role, using 30.7% of Uconn's possessions. That's KD/Westbrook territory, it won't be remotely close to that in the NBA.
                Neither Knight or DeRozan are: Good...even decent playmakers, have the ability to go left, good ball handlers. We'll lead the league in turnovers, and be bottom 5 in ASTs.

Neither Kemba or DeRozan are: Decent 3-point shooters. Need I say more here? He plays like Ford, who a lot of you hate, despite that he was well on his way to being the best PG that the team had before his injury.

Frankly, not believing in Bayless, or not being willing to take a flyer on him considering that he put up 18/7/4 and excellent efficiency when he started and then suggesting that we draft a similar player in Walker (and especially) Knight is lunacy.

Comment

I've always been of the opinion that Brandon Knight had more of an upside than Kemba, and for that reason he would be the smart pic. I must say though, I don't like his energy when being interviewed, he seems like he sulks and pouts his way through the day. I'm not so sure Toronto would warm to him..I would bet that his attitude played a role in him dropping in the draft - I didn't even like his demeanor when he was being interviewed in Toronto for the workouts..just sayin.

Comment

They'll probably be good pros, but with Knight and Kemba, it was mostly just politics.

Knight being a Calipari point guard from Kentucky, and Kemba being a NCAA champion.

They were once high on my board, but Biyombo really grew on me later on and he was probably my first pick, that is until I learned more about Valanciunas, which is now the better choice.

Comment

Does this mean if Colangelo didn't draft Valanciunas, that Alabi was the future center? If not, I'm not sure how one thing is connected to the other.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Andy in Big City:
                        In Toronto there is a debate of who to start at pg: Jose Calderon or Jarred Bayless If you were the coach of the Raptors, how do you divide the minutes at point guard and why?

Lang Greene:
                        Bayless 30 minutes. Calderon 18 minutes.

Time to see if the youngster is the poing guard of the future. Raptor nation already knows Calderon's limit.

I set the youngster loose and then sit back to see if he can hack it.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?c...#ixzz1SdwMdI51
                        For once I agree with Lang.

Comment

well bayless was a lottery pick that didn't get much playing time in Portland or New orleans because of Andre miller and CP3. I think he could be a great PG, Imo he'll end up being way better than Jose. Let him start next season with like 30 MPG and he'll tear it up. He averaged 18/7 as a starter last season so i think he'll do great.

Comment

whil he's not going to average close to those numbers with a full season as starter. i'm pretty confident in that.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              well bayless was a lottery pick that didn't get much playing time in Portland or New orleans because of Andre miller and CP3. I think he could be a great PG, Imo he'll end up being way better than Jose. Let him start next season with like 30 MPG and he'll tear it up. He averaged 18/7 as a starter last season so i think he'll do great.
                              Bayless was expected to at least compete for second string minutes, and he had trouble doing that. In his rookie season he had Steve Blake and Sergio Rodriguez ahead of him, and still couldn't make it past the third string. The next year, they signed Andre Miller and then traded Blake to give Bayless minutes at backup, but didn't perform well, so they traded him. And then he couldn't hold down the backup PG position well enough in New Orleans, so they gave up on him.

I still think he's got potential, but it's not just lack of playing time that made both Portland and New Orleans give up on him. And while he's put up good stats when given minutes in Toronto, he's still got A LOT to learn about running an offense. Basic stats don't tell the whole story. Especially for a PG.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

i agree. he's alright... but hasn't actually shown he can really run the team. all i got from last season was he was a "put up points on a bad team" type player and could only do that after calderon got shut down. i like him more in barbosas role. i think bc didn't take a pg (outside of the fact we got a franchise center) because none of the ones on the board seem like they'll ever be allstars, and if you're taking a player at #5 they better end up pretty fucking good, weak draft or not. i like kemba and i like knight but i'll be surprised if they ever make a allstar team much less get mentioned in the top 10 pg coversation. knight maybe, but it'll be way down the road.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X