If Given the Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    ....JV has been regarded as one of, if not the best, C prospect in the world since he was about 16 or 17. And now he's starting to live up to that hype. Shit, if he was Canadian, like Wiggins, fans on this site would've been drinking his kool-aid since he was 14-15 probably....
    When Valanciunas was 16 he started playing professionally against men in European pro basketball, not against other high school students. In that circumstance he sat on the bench, practiced 3-4 hours a day when not playing and was taught to defer to the veterans on the floor. In 2008, at 15, in the FIBA under 16 European Championship he dominated, "...averaging 14.3 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 23.5 minutes of action. His team went on to win the gold medal and he was chosen as the MVP."

Am year later "...in the summer of 2009, Valančiūnas participated in the European Under-18 All-Star Game during EuroBasket 2009 in Poland. He dominated the game as he scored 18 points, grabbed 19 rebounds, blocked three shots and helped the "Blue Team" beat the "White Team" 77:75. Valančiūnas was later named the MVP of the All-Star game."

etc. etc. etc.

If JV had been playing high school ball in North America I suspect he would have had the same or similar hype as Wiggins.

Comment

Oh, I voted keep JV.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
        Sort of yes, but sort of no.

Harrison Barnes was the top player in his highschool class, yes. But he wasn't a for sure one and done, top rated pick for the NBA draft before he even before he played a college game.

There are very few guys like this. Lebron was obviously one. To be honest, I cant remember another one since the rules changed to mandate a year of college (although I might be forgetting someone). John Wall and Kyrie might be close as guys who were at the top of their class going in and did their one year and kept that status.. but Im not sure even they had the hype that Wiggins does.

Anyways .. we shall see, but if I had the opportunity to do this trade right now, Id do it in a heartbeat.
        How many #1 high school recruits enter college without the expectation of one and done?

He was most definitely considered a one and done and it was not until he struggled early in his UNC career that his draft stock slipped. It was questionable if he would have pulled out of the draft if not for the lockout.

He was the first freshman named to the preseason All-American team.

He most definitely was considered a #1 pick as well.

Another example of a slippery slope rider is Shabazz Muhammad. He was the consensus #1 pick last year as well.

As I said before, this is a great question for next year after JV plays another season and Wiggins shows what he can do at the college level.

Comment

The one thing that worries me about Wiggins is that he might not have that killer instinct you would need to be a top 5 player in the NBA. This was mentioned somewhere else, but he could end up like Rudy Gay who has the ability to be a top 5 player but just doesn't seem to crave it.

Because this poll doesn't give us a chance to see Wiggins in a highly competitive league, we have to hope that he has that killer instinct and wants to be the best in the world.

JV is now a known commodity. So replacing him with a guy that is going to be good, but potentially not super is a huge risk. Lebron was still a freak when he came out of high school.. so even if he didn't have that killer instinct (and it took years for him to develop that) his athleticism made up for it. Wiggins is athletic but not a freak like Lebron was coming out of high school.

I hate to do it, but I would vote JV.. but I too would prefer to wait until next year to make that decision.

Comment

Barnes was a HUGE prospect as well coming out of HS. And i thought he played well during his 2 years in UNC. Did he live up to the Kobe Bryant expectation? no. But he was great specially in his 1st year when he was hitting game winning shots after game winning shots for the Tar Heels. Still not sure why he slipped all the way to the Warriors at 7th.

But the hype surrounding Barnes coming out of HS was not nearly as big as what we're seeing right now with Wiggins. The last time i've seen anything close to this was back in the 2003 draft. The LeBron James draft.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
              It just shows that they've grown on JV and wouldn't trade him even for Wiggins, quite simple. Not surprised, in fact I'm on the same train, get me a superstar like Lebron via trade and I won't cheer for this team more just because now they have fancy diva superstar. I mean really, for me it kills the excitement. In fact, I will slowly start looking for other team, like San Antonio, to cheer for.
              Really?

Raptors + LeBron = multiple championships.

If competing for a championship year after year doesn't excite you then i want to know what excites you as a basketball fan? Constant rebuilding every year i guess?
              Last edited by The Great One; Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:39 AM.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                Brandon Knight? are you people serious about this? LOL really?

I'm a basketball lifer and the 1st time i heard of the name Brandon Knight was when he was playing for Kentucky. Never heard of him when he was in HS. And i'm pretty sure you've never heard of him when he was in HS as well.

Andrew Wiggins? everyone know who he is for years now. Not just Canadians but every fans who loves/follows basketball/NBA. The last time a HS player got this much attention? the only thing i can think of was LeBron James back in 2003. And Wiggins i think is the best prospect the NBA have had since LeBron.

But anyway, Raptors fans once again overrating their own player. Sigh. I love JV i think he's going to be a great player in this league. But Wiggins has hall of fame talent.

The fact that there's even an argument about this whole thing is ridiculous. And there's actually 4 people here that voted for JV? Sigh.
                I'm sorry and i don't mean to be rude. But you seriously do not sound like a "basketball lifer" you sound like my little 13 year old brother who believes all the hype he hears.

Also how can you say Wiggins is hall of fame talent when he hasn't even played in college yet, let alone the nba. I haven't been watching Basketball that long but i know better than to call a player a "Hall of Fame Talent" even if he dominated High school (where the talent is very poor).

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  When Valanciunas was 16 he started playing professionally against men in European pro basketball, not against other high school students. In that circumstance he sat on the bench, practiced 3-4 hours a day when not playing and was taught to defer to the veterans on the floor. In 2008, at 15, in the FIBA under 16 European Championship he dominated, "...averaging 14.3 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 23.5 minutes of action. His team went on to win the gold medal and he was chosen as the MVP."

Am year later "...in the summer of 2009, Valančiūnas participated in the European Under-18 All-Star Game during EuroBasket 2009 in Poland. He dominated the game as he scored 18 points, grabbed 19 rebounds, blocked three shots and helped the "Blue Team" beat the "White Team" 77:75. Valančiūnas was later named the MVP of the All-Star game."

etc. etc. etc.

If JV had been playing high school ball in North America I suspect he would have had the same or similar hype as Wiggins.
                  And there you go. Valanciunas has played against men since he was 16 and Wiggins since...never. I like Wiggins a lot but a dominant C is so much more valuable in this league. Who is going to stop JV on a nightly basis? there aren't many more 7 Footers around that can defend him.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    I'm sorry and i don't mean to be rude. But you seriously do not sound like a "basketball lifer" you sound like my little 13 year old brother who believes all the hype he hears.

Also how can you say Wiggins is hall of fame talent when he hasn't even played in college yet, let alone the nba. I haven't been watching Basketball that long but i know better than to call a player a "Hall of Fame Talent" even if he dominated High school (where the talent is very poor).
                    How? instinct.

The last time i called an NBA prospect a "future hall of famer" even though i haven't seen him play a full game in the NBA was back in 2003. His name? LeBron James.

There's another one and he was part of that 03 draft as well. Watching him lead Syracuse to a National Championship in 03. I knew he's going to be in the HOF one day. His name? Carmelo Anthony.

I'd put Wiggins on that list. He'll be in the HOF one day.

Anyways, i'm done with this Wiggins/JV argument. I can't believe what i'm readin here LOL. Homerism at its finest.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                      How? instinct.

The last time i called an NBA prospect a "future hall of famer" even though i haven't seen him play a full game in the NBA was back in 2003. His name? LeBron James.

There's another one and he was part of that 03 draft as well. Watching him lead Syracuse to a National Championship in 03. I knew he's going to be in the HOF one day. His name? Carmelo Anthony.

I'd put Wiggins on that list. He'll be in the HOF one day.

Anyways, i'm done with this Wiggins/JV argument. I can't believe what i'm readin here LOL. Homerism at its finest.
                      It is actually an interesting discussion and one that can equally be given a homerism label one way or the other.

JV is a Raptor.

Most posters here appear to be Canadian, and Wiggins is the biggest Canadian basketball phenom..... ever.

I still think it is an unknown until we see what WIggins does at the NCAA level and to a lesser extent what JV does next season.

Comment

Wow. You people are writing off Wiggins' potential solely for the sake of saying JV will be better. Unbelievable.

And what's this crap about Barnes and his downward slope? As far as I'm concerned, he was one of the best rookies this year, so I don't see how slipping down in the draft/college rankings is such a worry.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rival/2447225/

Lots of Wiggins hype here.

Still think a lot can change between now and when the games are played.

I'm hoping he more than lives up to the hype.

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
                            While I prefer that style of basketball myself, the team that just won back to back titles doesn't have either.
                            LeBron James was their Point Guard, Shooting Guard, Small Forward, Power Forward and sometimes Center.
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                              Wow. You people are writing off Wiggins' potential solely for the sake of saying JV will be better. Unbelievable.

And what's this crap about Barnes and his downward slope? As far as I'm concerned, he was one of the best rookies this year, so I don't see how slipping down in the draft/college rankings is such a worry.

It's not that...it's that I'm sick and tired of hearing the word potential. Potentially/and actually may never meet
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                It's not that...it's that I'm sick and tired of hearing the word potential. Potentially/and actually may never meet
                                People said the same about Lebron. Even if theres only a 25% chance he lives up to his potential, it is a risk that many people would like to take, because those type of players put your team into automatic contention almost every year

Comment

Working...
                                X