Bayless a Hidden Gem in Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayless a Hidden Gem in Free Agency

According to John Hollinger, Jarryd Bayless would come cheap with better than expected returns:

"Bayless is working on his third team and hasn't gained much career traction in his four pro seasons, but he was quietly having a good year in Toronto before a torn oblique muscle ended his season last week. He's averaging a point every two minutes with a solid TS% (56.1), and he's not just jacking either -- he's averaged nearly seven assists per 40 minutes over the past two seasons.

While he'll never be a pure point guard, his knack for getting to the basket and drawing fouls has been complemented this season by a spike to 42.3 percent on 3s. Bayless has "Mr. Wright" potential on other levels too. He was a lottery pick, he's been traded twice, and he is still only 23. The combination of his injury and his playing in Toronto may leave him well under the radar this summer, but as a high-scoring combo guard he's one to keep an eye on."

Bayless is restricted so we should think long and hard before we let him walk. Every time he's played extended minutes and became comfortable in the role (i.e. starting), he's played well. But a 'hidden gem' I'm also interested in is Goran Dragic:

"Dragic's talent was clear even while he was regressing for Phoenix last season. And now that Kyle Lowry is out, he's showing it. In 14 games as a starter, he's averaging 17.1 points, 9.1 assists and 1.9 steals and is shooting 52.1 percent from the floor while helping to keep the ragtag Rockets in the Western Conference playoff race. (Quick reminder: Phoenix traded Dragic and a first-rounder to Houston last February for Aaron Brooks).

Dragic can be a bit erratic, and having the best sustained stretch of his career heading into contract time may strike some as a bit suspicious. But he's big and athletic for the position, he's 25, and he's still developing as a shooter. He won't come as cheaply as Wright, but he could pay big dividends."

These are the only point guards in a list of potential free agents that Hollinger classifies as hidden gems. With players like Ray Felton a disappointment this year, there really aren't that many good point guards that will become available this summer. Who would you guys pick between the two, if either?

Here's a link to Hollinger's insider article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ue-free-agents

Either would work for me, more preferably Dragic but if we can't have Dragic I would love to welcome back Bayless.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I would love it if we got Dragic

Comment

Dragic is my pick up of choice, I think he fits well with what we are doing and he plays with a style that isn't that different from Jose's. Bayless did impress me while Jose was out though so I would no longer be upset with him stick around.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Resign Bayless to a 4 year $18 million contract. If all goes planned get a top 5 pick. Draft bpa hopefully MKG or Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson. Hopefully BC can find hidden gem with the 2nd rounder. Add Jonas Valaciunas to the mix and next year should be exicing.
          We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
            Dragic is my pick up of choice, I think he fits well with what we are doing and he plays with a style that isn't that different from Jose's.
            Judging from our record, his style of play does not contribute to winning basketball. We've had Jose here for 7 seasons now with him at the helm in 5 of them. The result is only 1 winning season and 3 subpar ones.

Comment

Dragic is 8 and 6 as a starter right now.

Comment

Jerryd Bayless his younger and cheaper. We already know he wants to be here.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                  Dragic is 8 and 6 as a starter right now.
                  we were playing .500 ball with Jerryd Bayless
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                    Judging from our record, his style of play does not contribute to winning basketball. We've had Jose here for 7 seasons now with him at the helm in 5 of them. The result is only 1 winning season and 3 subpar ones.
                    I think we all agree that neither Jose or Dragic are huge difference makers, they need a team around them, and to be fair to Jose, he has never been on a team stacked with talent so team record is not a good judgement.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      we were playing .500 ball with Jerryd Bayless
                      2-3
                      wins over Cleveland and Memphis
                      losses to New Jersey, Charlotte, and Milwaukee

Comment

I would rather go another year with Calderon than commit 4 years to either Bayless or Dragic.

Somehow, someway, find a PG that's much less of a project (either on draft night, or at next year's trade deadline, using Calderon as bait).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I would rather go another year with Calderon than commit 4 years to either Bayless or Dragic.

Somehow, someway, find a PG that's much less of a project (either on draft night, or at next year's trade deadline, using Calderon as bait).
                          Sure to shock many but I'm not keen on keeping Bayless as a starter.

I would be interested in knowing what Calderon could fetch on the trade market. Could he bring back Wesley Matthews - maybe throw in a 2nd round pick? Portland is going to be in desperate need of a PG.

With a glaring hole at PG now, Dragic could be an interesting possibility with next year's draft focus being a PG (Kabongo maybe?).

I won't mention Nash - oh sh!t, I just did.

Comment

Seems like slim pickins out there? I would much rather spend our money elsewhere if its possible. Bayless gives off a bad vibe when I see him play, just reminds me of a Jarret Jack mentally. I wonder if he's also a cancer in the locker room like JJack. Maybe someone will put up a crazy offer and we won't have to think about it.
                            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Me too.

I don't see the point of signing a backup player for 4 years when the Raptors should, at a minimum, consider acquiring a potential long-term solution for the 2013-14 season or sooner.

Comment

Working...
                              X