The point guard comparison - effectiveness of either Jose or JB at the point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Much credit for the post. That is a lot of work and very interesting findings.

Stats are a useful tool but I don't think they tell the whole story. This idea was talked about in the Everything Bayless so I don't want to go in to it again.

Unfortunately Bayless doesn't pass the 'eye' test for me - and I know that is extremely subjective.

Also I am still weary of a player who has better numbers when his team loses than when they win.
    Subjective, but still true. Bottom line is, at this point in their careers, you get much more out of Jose, especially if you include the intangibles which he brings to the table. We often hear great things about his locker room presence and leadership.

ultimately, it would be difficult to pencil either of these into the starting lineup of a championship caliber team any time soon, and we need an upgrade at the position no matter what. If you look at the league today, you need a PG that can defend. Guys like Rose and Westbrook are too powerful and quick for Calderon or Bayless, and more and more of these PG's are coming into the league every year.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
      ultimately, it would be difficult to pencil either of these into the starting lineup of a championship caliber team any time soon...
      I can honestly see Calderon a good fit with the Lakers (with or without Gasol).

Comment

Complete props in this post. Fantastic work on drawing these up.

Only minus is the number of games Bayless had compared to Calderon, which everyone is probably posting about, but never really knew how much Bayless and Calderon comparisons actually lined up.

I know that statistics don't tell the whole story, which I am guilty of saying often, but stats also don't lie....
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I can honestly see Calderon a good fit with the Lakers (with or without Gasol).
          The Lakers need a good point guard, period. They might chase Nash in the off-season.

Comment

Working...
          X