Raptors rumours in the dog days of summer - David West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors rumours in the dog days of summer - David West

So little happening at this time of year. So little to discuss. And every rumour has to be taken with a huge grain of salt because most teams have already done most or all of their summer moves. Thought having a thread for any random Raptors-related crap that pops up online at this time of year. (assuming anymore do)

Anyway, was absentmindedly looking at NBA stuff, and saw some Pacers related rumours. This is understandable given the loss of George to injury and Stephenson to Charlotte. Rumours that Hibbert and West are possibly being shopped, and rumours attaching Toronto to West as a possible trade scenario. Now, there seems to be little or no substance to this rumour, as it seems to have come from a random chat with a basketballinsiders writer/analyst. With that in mind, the scenario proposed would be centred around a West for Patterson swap.

Thoughts?

I think it's a good move, but not a necessary one. West is declining, and we'd lose spacing compared to Pat. We'd have a legit post player next to JV though, and lots of veteran experience added to the team. Also his contract has 2 years left on it max (2nd year is a player option), so it would fit with a strategy of maintaining cap flexibility for summer 2016.

Personally the most attractive part of the possibility is that last part regarding cap flexibility, while also considering West is a very good player who would probably fit in fairly well. However, from a strictly basketball perspective, I don't think he moves the needle that much with our current group. Also I'd prefer not to add players on the wrong side of 30 for young assets. Also would like any PF upgrade to reflect the types of guys we have now: either get a better stretch PF than Pat, or a better hustle/glue PF than Amir.

online chat that was source of rumour as far as I can tell:
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/ch...uncan-72914-2/

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    So little happening at this time of year. So little to discuss. And every rumour has to be taken with a huge grain of salt because most teams have already done most or all of their summer moves. Thought having a thread for any random Raptors-related crap that pops up online at this time of year. (assuming anymore do)

Anyway, was absentmindedly looking at NBA stuff, and saw some Pacers related rumours. This is understandable given the loss of George to injury and Stephenson to Charlotte. Rumours that Hibbert and West are possibly being shopped, and rumours attaching Toronto to West as a possible trade scenario. Now, there seems to be little or no substance to this rumour, as it seems to have come from a random chat with a basketballinsiders writer/analyst. With that in mind, the scenario proposed would be centred around a West for Patterson swap.

Thoughts?

I think it's a good move, but not a necessary one. West is declining, and we'd lose spacing compared to Pat. We'd have a legit post player next to JV though, and lots of veteran experience added to the team. Also his contract has 2 years left on it max (2nd year is a player option), so it would fit with a strategy of maintaining cap flexibility for summer 2016.

Personally the most attractive part of the possibility is that last part regarding cap flexibility, while also considering West is a very good player who would probably fit in fairly well. However, from a strictly basketball perspective, I don't think he moves the needle that much with our current group. Also I'd prefer not to add players on the wrong side of 30 for young assets. Also would like any PF upgrade to reflect the types of guys we have now: either get a better stretch PF than Pat, or a better hustle/glue PF than Amir.

online chat that was source of rumour as far as I can tell:
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/ch...uncan-72914-2/
    Don't know why Toronto would send 2Pats for West. If Indy trades West it would be a tank move where they get expirings back. Fields + Lou + Hands clears salary and all three are expirings. Indy can either be a .500 team or tank for Mudiay.

Comment

Why would we do 2Pat for West?

What does West give us more than 2Pat?

Plus, 2Pat is still young, he's only 25, and still has potential to improve.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Definitely doesn't seem to make that much sense. That's why I said the rumour (and probably most others that surface this time of year) need to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. And with Indy especially, since their outlook for next season has gone to shit, so there will be lots of stories about them dismantling the team.

Comment

A newly signed free agent can't be traded for at least 3 months or Jan 15 (whatever comes later)... so I can't see how Patterson is linked to that rumour.. Either way if it was an option then I think I'd rather stick with 2Pat since he's younger and has good chemistry with the team already. West is not the same guy he was even 2 years ago.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
            Why would we do 2Pat for West?

What does West give us more than 2Pat?

Plus, 2Pat is still young, he's only 25, and still has potential to improve.
            Post offence. Interior strength. Better interior D all around than Pat for sure (Pat's better defending face up guys and the p'n'r, but not good defending the power game down low, and not really much of a rim protector). Probably more consistent given his experience...and well, his experience in general. A player who's been in deep playoff runs and has solid leadership qualities.

Not trying to endorse trade, just saying there are clearly ways that West is superior, and at this point in their careers is still generally superior. Patterson may not really improve from what he gave us last year, which would settle his career into that role-playing, probably backup, stretch PF.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Aug 10, 2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              A newly signed free agent can't be traded for at least 3 months or Jan 15 (whatever comes later)... so I can't see how Patterson is linked to that rumour.. Either way if it was an option then I think I'd rather stick with 2Pat since he's younger and has good chemistry with the team already. West is not the same guy he was even 2 years ago.
              Also their salaries don't match anyway so there'd have to be filler or a 3rd team to make things work.

Just seems like a random summer rumour. A poorly thought out fabrication.

Comment

Dont feel too bad putting this post up...at least it has more meat on the bone than the one about John Bitove putting in a bid on the Bills.

Re the swap I wouldnt give up on 2Pat for West.

Comment

Yeah, kind of silly since Patterson can't be traded until mid December.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

2Pat will not be better than D-West even in his prime. 2Pat is a decent backup PF kinda like Donyall Marshall for us.
                    D-West is a starter allstar calibre of PF we need, the thing is he's getting older, 35 when the season starts. It will be a gamble for us to acquire him, I say we do this trade

Hayes + Fields + Rights for D.Daniels + 2016 1st round pick (NYK) for D-West + Ian Mahinmi

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, kind of silly since Patterson can't be traded until mid December.
                      Yes that trade would have been interesting.... 4 years ago.

today I would tell Indiana this: (take it away ambassador of #whateveyoudo)

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Dont feel too bad putting this post up...at least it has more meat on the bone than the one about John Bitove putting in a bid on the Bills.

I don't feel bad. There's nothing to talk about. Just trying hard to kill time until FIBAs. Tired of discussions on JV's weight after seeing a pic, or DeMar's handles from practice clips.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

at least this thread wasn't about derozan having learning disabilities/asbergers or whatever the hell that other shit was about.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                            at least this thread wasn't about derozan having learning disabilities/asbergers or whatever the hell that other shit was about.
                            Apparently TRoss has turned on his invisibility cloak. Didn't realize it worked off the court.

Comment

No way I give a first rounder.. not with Masai and the scouting crews abilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X