No announcement yet.

Spoelstra out-coached Popovich....and my response to that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody expected the spurs to make it to the NBA finals. Not even The Spurs themselves. It's a shame they didn't win. But, clearly Popovich knows how to catch.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

People don't give enough credit to Spoelstra, he has the talent, but regardless of who you are and your basketball IQ, a coach is needed to see, handle, address the issues on the court, plain and simple. The players are in the moment, you don't see the full game in action, all 10 players, you just can't see EVERYTHING.

A big reason why Miami was able to win a championship in 2012, was the new defensive philosophy Spoelstra wanted to bring in. Quick rotations, force baseline, force turnovers. They did that, mainly because Miami obviously had the talent to do so. Pretty sure you put Casey on the Heat, the defense would stay the same assuming he brings the same mentality, but offense would stay shitty, especially because of the many isos that would be ran.

He did a better coaching job down the stretch of the series. He created different lineups that would be able to contradict what the Spurs wanted to do - make them shoot jumpers. Thus, the lineup of Chalmers/Allen/LeBron/Miller-Battier/Birdman was extremely effective all series. They exploited these things, and looking at game 1 to game 2 in the series, Spoelstra didn't even make any adjustments, they stayed with the same game-plan, and instead, they were making shots, resulting in that unstoppable 33-5 run, also a good coaching decision to stick with their identity.

The team made adjustments, and was better prepared after every single game they lost in the entire playoffs. I do not think he out-coached Popovich, that's an absolutely retarded thing to say (the series went seven games, and up until game 6, I thought the Spurs had full control of the series), but the last two games of the series, and in their wins against the Spurs in the Finals, Spoelstra just had better adjustments going into the games.. Losses for the Heat were mostly because lack of execution, and of course, most of that was because Pop and the Spurs did a great job of exploiting their defense, and having a well run offense.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
        Nobody expected the spurs to make it to the NBA finals. Not even The Spurs themselves. It's a shame they didn't win. But, clearly Popovich knows how to catch.
        i did. they were my pick from the start.

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
          I do not think he out-coached Popovich, that's an absolutely retarded thing to say (the series went seven games, and up until game 6, I thought the Spurs had full control of the series), but the last two games of the series, and in their wins against the Spurs in the Finals, Spoelstra just had better adjustments going into the games.. Losses for the Heat were mostly because lack of execution, and of course, most of that was because Pop and the Spurs did a great job of exploiting their defense, and having a well run offense.
          i agree with this.

i don't really think either out coached the other at all.. they both did outstanding jobs, and they both fucked up some that led to losses.

The only knock i really have against Spo's coaching was he waited until game SIX to adjust for the danny green factor..

it was one of the most enjoyable finals series in a long time... gotta tip the hat to both teams.. even if my pony didn't win the race

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
            it was one of the most enjoyable finals series in a long time... gotta tip the hat to both teams.. even if my pony didn't win the race
            Does this mean that you are finally willing to change your avatar?
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              Does this mean that you are finally willing to change your avatar?
              He needs to change it back to "neeerds!"
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
              X