Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Lewieke's on Fan590.com in a couple minutes.
    Is this viewable in video form?

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
      Is this viewable in video form?
      i believe they broadcast some of this on sportsnet channel. but this is a phone interview, hes not at studio

Comment

http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air

Comment

interview over, just a welcome-to-toronto type of thing really.

all in all "i want to make every toronto team a champion"

nothing specific answered about GMs/coaches for each respective team

Comment

didn`t sound very enthused with Bryan
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

i think leiweke would fire colangelo on the spot, based on his past performance. colangelo's handling of bosh by itself is an utter embarrassment when compared to what leiweke and his group has done in LA.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                Here's the full espn story for yall:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/92...on-sources-say

This article has ALOT going in it, but there are two quotes that really excite me:
                Sources told ESPN.com this week that the Raptors have interest in talking with Jackson about the Pat Riley-style role he craves in charge of a team's basketball operations. ESPN.com reported last week that Jackson, after nearly two seasons in retirement, is itching to return to the NBA next season, preferably in a role similar to Riley's in Miami that allows him to oversee both the basketball department and the coaching staff
                but almost more exciting for me is:

At his core, Leiweke is a big idea man. When he wanted to make MLS and the Los Angeles Galaxy relevant in a town that usually only has eyes for basketball and baseball, he had a big hand in convincing international soccer star David Beckham to come to America after Beckham's time at Real Madrid.
                Source
                Leiweke seems like a hands on kinda guy.
                Even if we don't get Phil Jackson, I can see this being a GREAT move for all of MLSE.
                Last edited by Joey; Fri Apr 26, 2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I'm going to merge this with the Leiweke thread.
                  They're really the same conversation at their core.

Comment

From same article above:
                    Leiweke also has a longstanding working relationship with Lakers executive Jeanie Buss, Jackson's fiancee.
                    In an interview this week with the San Francisco Chronicle, Jackson said "three or four teams" have already expressed interested and that "none of it involves coaching."

"There are some interesting situations that are presenting themselves, but I really haven't made up my mind yet what I'm going to do," Jackson told the Chronicle.

Jackson also told the newspaper he's interested in a developing team "where you'd have the influence in (selecting the) coaching staff and the kind of culture that goes along with it."

"It would be a real opportunity to implant the game, a culture that I believe in -- that's the intriguing part,"
                    Jackson said.

Mould us Phil. We are your clay.

Comment

Phil is not coming here.

He will basically have to sit on his hands for two years. They have no first rounder. No cap room. Little in tradable assets. With all due respect, he's 67 years old and has battled health problems in recent seasons. He's not taking a job where has to sit around for two seasons to start putting his fingerprints on it. I'm not convinced he's taking any position unless it's something with the Lakers again... I think he just likes the attention to a certain extent.

He has has two fake hips and a fake knee to boot. His long time partner Jeanie Buss lives in California. Unless they allow him to run the team from Cali himself, he's not coming to Toronto in the winter.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                        Phil is not coming here.

He will basically have to sit on his hands for two years. They have no first rounder. No cap room. Little in tradable assets. With all due respect, he's 67 years old and has battled health problems in recent seasons. He's not taking a job where has to sit around for two seasons to start putting his fingerprints on it. I'm not convinced he's taking any position unless it's something with the Lakers again... I think he just likes the attention to a certain extent.

He has has two fake hips and a fake knee to boot. His long time partner Jeanie Buss lives in California. Unless they allow him to run the team from Cali himself, he's not coming to Toronto in the winter.
                        You know everything about Phil don't you?

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                          Phil is not coming here.

What do you mean sit on his hands for 2 years? Sure he has no draft this year, but he wouldnt even take command this year! We still have all our first round picks for every upcoming year....
                          If you think the entire point of a GM (not even the position Phil wants) is to consistently make large player moves, year after year, you are sadly mistaken.
                          Phil wants to be in charge of basketball operations, and the coaching staff. Or to be a high-order consultant. Eitherway, your assessment that he will sit on his impatient hands for the next 2 years is stupid and false.
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Here is the interview... Had to read some code but was pretty easy to find:

Interview

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              Here is the interview... Had to read some code but was pretty easy to find:

Interview
                              Nice find man! Thanks for posting this. Was bummed I missed it.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                                What do you mean sit on his hands for 2 years? Sure he has no draft this year, but he wouldnt even take command this year! We still have all our first round picks for every upcoming year....
                                If you think the entire point of a GM (not even the position Phil wants) is to consistently make large player moves, year after year, you are sadly mistaken.
                                Phil wants to be in charge of basketball operations, and the coaching staff. Or to be a high-order consultant. Eitherway, your assessment that he will sit on his impatient hands for the next 2 years is stupid and false.
                                "basketball operations" in terms of Phil = GM
                                So yes, he and leiweke would immediately begin to mold this team. As a high profile person, you don't make such a high profile move and sit on your hands for two years of mediocre results, or in other words, you don't be bryan colangelo 2.0.

Yes, our contracts our loaded. But they will try to get rid of them somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                X