Calderon mentions Raps in same breath as OKC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calderon mentions Raps in same breath as OKC

Jose Calderon: "There are still missing pieces, but if DeMar DeRozan or Ed Davis become stars, then we are talking about a team like the Oklahoma City Thunder four years ago."
    From HoopsHype.com

I disagree with Calderon. The Raps are actually ahead of OKC in terms of rebuilding through the draft. OKC used their draft picks for Petro and Sene in the two years leading up to their first of 3 years in the top 5 with picks 2, 5, 4, and 3 (2007-2009). The Raptors used those two years to get DeRozan and Davis. Fingers crossed on this draft.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    From HoopsHype.com

I disagree with Calderon. The Raps are actually ahead of OKC in terms of rebuilding through the draft. OKC used their draft picks for Petro and Sene in the two years leading up to their first of 3 years in the top 5 with picks 2, 5, 4, and 3 (2007-2009). The Raptors used those two years to get DeRozan and Davis. Fingers crossed on this draft.
    hopefully this rebuild doesn't talk much longer and we start seeing some wins and playoff runs.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      From HoopsHype.com

They're ahead in some ways, but behind in others. The Raptors lack a player like Durant, which they will need. And it's not likely they'll get one in this draft.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        They're ahead in some ways, but behind in others. The Raptors lack a player like Durant, which they will need. And it's not likely they'll get one in this draft.
        Agreed there. Obviously players like Durant are few and far between. Hopefully whoever they draft this year or next becomes a franchise player or, while unlikely, DD or Davis could continue to evolve.

Comment

Even tho durant fell into their laps you have to really applaud their scouts. Guys like Westbrook and Ibaka had no business at all becoming great players (according to most) and yet they have probably the most effective "big 3" in the league.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Who knows, if Derozen keeps blossoming, Ed continues to develop and we strike a homerun in the draft, we could have our own big 3.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I could see Kanter turning into a much tougher, slightly slower, Brook Lopez. Put him down low with Ed Davis and that is a Front Court to be proud of. OKC never really had that. Now they've got Ibaka and Perkins, which is not too dissimilar from an Ed Davis, Enes Kanter Front Court.

I've always said Bayless could be a Westbrook type player, as he has the explosiveness and ability to get to the rim. As well as that deep-down emotional drive to be the best and get the win. If you look at guys like Westbrook and DRose, they were allowed to be 'drive first' type players (not really shoot first), because it helps keeps the defense honest when they HAVE to play the PG for the drive. That creates unlimited opportunities for your teammates once the Defense collapses, and thus helps the PG run the offense. Being an aggressive PG on the offensive side of the court should no longer be looked at being a bad thing. Give Bayless a training camp to learn the Offense, and he'll be the PG of the future. Unless we get Irving.

Demar has yet to show that he can be ELITE, and in the same league as Durant. But he has shown the ability to improve upon his game in the places that it matters. This year will be a HUGE determinant in whether or not he will be the one to take this team to the next level.

Having guys like Amir and James Johnson is just a huge bonus, as they will prove to the ones that drive our Defense, along with ED, ala Ibaka and Sefolosha.

We're on the right track. But all too often teams that are on the right track, get very seriously off course, very quickly.
              We need this ownership bullsh*t to be sorted out, fast.

Comment

All I have to say is draft Kanter BC, forget the Irvings and Walkers.
                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                  All I have to say is draft Kanter BC, forget the Irvings and Walkers.
                  You may be right! Evan Turner was a lock at the 2nd pick, but no one would take him there now. Kanter may be the steal of the draft and a foundation player. I would love to see him play. I am wondering if anyone has a verified source on how tall he is? I like Biyumbo because he is only 6 feet, 7 inches and a bit, but has a seven, seven wingspan. Tough draft this one.

Comment

every team that's rebuilding mentions the OKC model when they talk about the future

Comment

I think someone's been eating too much Peyote of late.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Lets not forget about Green who OKC used to get Perkins. They have bench pieces that could make the Raps starting 5...Cook, Harden, Maynor, Ibaka...

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Lets not forget about Green who OKC used to get Perkins. They have bench pieces that could make the Raps starting 5...Cook, Harden, Maynor, Ibaka...
                          Maybe not Cook. =P

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                            Maybe not Cook. =P
                            Yep. Got carried away with his defensive play this series.

Comment

HuskyRaptor wrote: View Post
                              every team that's rebuilding mentions the OKC model when they talk about the future
                              Agreed and it is a little bothersome. People, in general, make it sound like their success came over night. It was 5 years between playoff appearances and a lot of lottery luck (not trying to take anything away from their scouting people though).

Comment

Working...
                              X