Raptors Rebuild Blueprint Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure teams are going to be giving up picks for next years draft tho.
    In order to get them, you have to be willing to eat poison.

The crazy and expensive idea I had, that I didn't include, was trading Kleiza for Michael Beasley and Phoenix's 2014 first-rounder, and then buying Beasley out of his deal. Expensive as all get out - like, it costs us a net $14 million - but is it worth it for a 2014 first-round pick which likely goes top six? I'd do it in a second. Would Phoenix give up a pick to get rid of $18 million of Beasley and Kleiza's $4M expiring as a later trade chip? I don't know.

Comment

d749 wrote: View Post
      if the cavs are interested in granny danger, maybe they would take a gay for tt kind of thing
      I found this funny as hell haha. I can't stop laughing

Comment

Opportunity Knocks

Chris Paul and Dwight Howard have been in consistent contact recently about the possibility of becoming teammates next season, according to league sources.

Paul and Howard will be the biggest free agents on the market this summer, and their desire is to play together, the sources said.

"They would love to play together if somebody can make it happen," one of the sources said.
        The preference for both players would be to play together for the Clippers, according to the sources. Because the Clippers don't have enough cap room to sign Howard as a free agent, it would take a sign-and-trade deal with the Lakers to make it happen.
        everybody is an option at this point.
        Source: ESPN.com

Don't even think about them coming here but the Raptors could be a dance partner to help get the details worked out for a team desperate to acquire these guys and in doing so obtain draft picks and/or prospects.

From the Lakers, these players interest me:
        • Jordan Hill
        • Earl Clark(S&T)

From the Clippers, these players interest me:
        • DeAndre Jordan
        • Eric Bledsoe
        • Ronny Turiaf(S&T)

And the wild card, from the Hawks, these players interest me:
        • Al Horford
        • Louis Williams
        • Jeff Teague(S&T)
        • DeShawn Stevenson

The Lakers or Hawks may be interested in Bargnani, DeRozan and Gay. On draft night, 2008, the Hawks were rumored to be interested in drafting Bargnani if he fell to them. It didn't happen. DeRozan trains with Kobe sometimes in the off-season. Gay could take pressure off Kobe now that he's getting near the end of his career. On the flip side, the Hawks may lose Josh Smith and so Gay could interest them.

These are the conversations Ujiri needs to butt into; capitalizing on teams desperate to land superstars and capitalizing on teams desperate to show their fans they didn't walk away empty handed.

Comment

I believe you meant "Clippers" in the second group listed.

D'Andre Jordan must be pissed at CP if there is any substance to this. This is like deja vu pre cba.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
            In order to get them, you have to be willing to eat poison.

The crazy and expensive idea I had, that I didn't include, was trading Kleiza for Michael Beasley and Phoenix's 2014 first-rounder, and then buying Beasley out of his deal. Expensive as all get out - like, it costs us a net $14 million - but is it worth it for a 2014 first-round pick which likely goes top six? I'd do it in a second. Would Phoenix give up a pick to get rid of $18 million of Beasley and Kleiza's $4M expiring as a later trade chip? I don't know.
            No, they wouldn't.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Source: ESPN.com

Don't even think about them coming here but the Raptors could be a dance partner to help get the details worked out for a team desperate to acquire these guys and in doing so obtain draft picks and/or prospects.

From the Lakers, these players interest me:
              • Jordan Hill
              • Earl Clark(S&T)

From the Clippers, these players interest me:
              • DeAndre Jordan
              • Eric Bledsoe
              • Ronny Turiaf(S&T)

And the wild card, from the Hawks, these players interest me:
              • Al Horford
              • Louis Williams
              • Jeff Teague(S&T)
              • DeShawn Stevenson

The Lakers or Hawks may be interested in Bargnani, DeRozan and Gay. On draft night, 2008, the Hawks were rumored to be interested in drafting Bargnani if he fell to them. It didn't happen. DeRozan trains with Kobe sometimes in the off-season. Gay could take pressure off Kobe now that he's getting near the end of his career. On the flip side, the Hawks may lose Josh Smith and so Gay could interest them.

These are the conversations Ujiri needs to butt into; capitalizing on teams desperate to land superstars and capitalizing on teams desperate to show their fans they didn't walk away empty handed.
              That is one approach.

Another would be to help teams looking to clear space so they can take away the leverage LAC or LAL might have in refusing to negotiate a sign and trade (each can still offer $30M more than any other team).

Houston and Dallas would be the teams to work with their.

The Raptors would not be able to take on salary outright but they could become a dumping ground for larger contracts.

The max salary is likely to be around $16.5M for Howard and Paul next season. See here for explanation.

Looking at Dallas if they lost Marion, Cunningham, and possibly Carter while renouncing Roddy/Collison and declining James/Akognum, the Mavs could sign both.

Comment

I feel like there could be big money in putting together an exclusive forum which is open only to NBA players. There could be threads like "Who wants to go to the Clips?" or "How to grab a big payday then bow out of town" etc.

Comment

Why on earth would you sign a backup PG and 3rd string PG, neither of whom is young, to multi-year deals?

And people want to criticize BC... ***.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    I feel like there could be big money in putting together an exclusive forum which is open only to NBA players. There could be threads like "Who wants to go to the Clips?" or "How to grab a big payday then bow out of town" etc.
                    Fred jones has started something similar: playerpopulation.com

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      That is one approach.

Another would be to help teams looking to clear space so they can take away the leverage LAC or LAL might have in refusing to negotiate a sign and trade (each can still offer $30M more than any other team).

Houston and Dallas would be the teams to work with their.

The Raptors would not be able to take on salary outright but they could become a dumping ground for larger contracts.

The max salary is likely to be around $16.5M for Howard and Paul next season. See here for explanation.

Looking at Dallas if they lost Marion, Cunningham, and possibly Carter while renouncing Roddy/Collison and declining James/Akognum, the Mavs could sign both.
                      I'm down for the Mavs taking a dump on the Raptors payroll if the Raptors get long term beneficial assets(ie: lots of draft picks, young prospects...) as part of the agreement. I'm down for anything method that puts the Raptors ahead while not compromising the new mission statement.

However, I'd much rather see long term pieces come back this way that aren't question marks. Jordan, Hill, Bledsoe, etc. these are guys who could be good long term pieces.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Fred jones has started something similar: playerpopulation.com
                        So this is where they get it done.

Comment

Igoudala?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ion-To-Opt-Out

Looks like Iggy is hitting the market. What would it take to bring him here and pair him up with Gay? Is this something you would want to see or is it more of a lateral move from the DeRozan/Gay pairing? Clearly we lack the ability to sign him out right, so we'd need to clear some space through trades/ amnesty before we could make a run at AI.

Discuss.

Comment

To have a shot at signing him outright, the Raptors would need to clear about $23M in salary.

To have a shot at signing him via sign and trade, the Raptors would need to send Denver at least $11M in salary (assumption Igoudala signs for $13Mper), Denver would have to agree, and Igoudala would have to agree. Good timing from Coon's latest chat:

Kris

Could you explain the new rules for Sign and Trades and how they differ from the old CBA?

Larry Coon

Sure. The key points are as follows:

* The player must have finished the preceding season with the team doing the sign-and-trade. No more doing a sign-and-trade with players who have been out of the league.

* A sign-and-trade can only be done during the offseason.

* A team cannot receive a player who is signed-and-traded if they finish the transaction above the apron, which is the point $4 million over the tax line (about $75.6 million this summer). So a team over the apron can’t do a sign-and-trade unless they dump enough salary in the transaction to get under. A team under the apron can’t add salary in a sign-and-trade that takes them over.

* A team can’t receive a signed-and-traded player if they’ve used the taxpayer mid-level exception.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary...rry-coon-61413

Supposedly Detroit, Atlanta, Houston/Dallas (strike out on CP3 and D12) all have interest and have the ability to sign him unrestricted. Plus Denver has his Bird Rights.

I think Gay and AI on the wing would be a great balance assuming both return to previous season forms on 3's (and if they both return to 39% they would be deadly).

I do not think it has any chance of happening though.

Comment

Lateral movement. They both need the ball and doesn't solve the spacing issue.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Iguodala brings a lot to the table, scoring isn't necessarily one of them. I can only imagine how many fast break opportunities we would have with Lowry, Gay and Iggy ball hawking .... That's a pretty explosive line up with 2 ball handlers and Gay, who can create his own shot too.

I dont think it'll happen though ... But I'm wishing anyway.
                                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                                X