Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Bench! A Bench! My Kingdom For A Bench!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bench! A Bench! My Kingdom For A Bench!

Now that the adrenaline of the Rudy Gay deal has subsided, we can see more clearly where we are with this club. We gave up considerable depth to obtain a potential star. I still like the deal but our bench needs to be overhauled.

No offense to JL3 but he can lose a game more easily than he can win it.

AA has shown flashes of being a solid rotation player but is too inconsistent and chews up too many possessions taking flow killing and team morale deflating shots. Furthermore, his minutes are detracting from what was once a promising rookie campaign for flight 31.

I liked Landry Fields as a Knick but his career is in the abyss right now and he won't come out until this dreadful season is behind him. It's obvious that his surgery has messed him up pretty bad.

Bargnani........... why would he even try at this point when the fans boo him and his GM openly said he was done here? Not that it's an accuse for his terrible play and his general malaise.

Air-on Gray is a serviceable big who I have no trouble going to when I need someone to throw Roy Hibbert into the stands to send a message.

Q was playing well earlier when given an opportunity, not sure what happened behind the scenes to warrant his complete lack of playing time but I guess it boils down to trying to recover any trade value Bargnani may have had before this season.

Telfair - un-rateable at this point.

In recent years, our starters have dug a hole and our bench has pulled us out, only to have our starters blow it for us. Now we find ourselves in the opposite predicament, our starters come out fighting and our bench is a complete nightmare, digging too big a hole for our starters to recover. With our starting five achieving passable respectability in the Eastern Conference with a reasonable expectation of growth and development for next season, we need to give our rookies a chance to see what they can do with reliable minutes and then look to upgrade in the off season where appropriate.

Attention Kyle Lowry - please look to score more, we need you to be aggressive to break down defenses and generate ball movement. We were told that's why you were brought you in, oh and that you were a bulldog on defense. Maybe it's the back spasms. If you're that hurt (as evidenced by lying down every time you come out) then stop playing and get well soon. We need you long term.

PS - In the spirit of caution and the long term interests of the club I have never proposed using the amnesty until today. Sorry Bargnani. Unless a trade can be made for a rack of balls.
    Last edited by Sprechen; Sat Mar 2, 2013, 11:43 AM.

I'd like to see demar provide a scoring punch for the second unit, bring anderson into the starting lineup for defense and spacing the floor. Spread the talent a little for fucks sake.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
      I'd like to see demar provide a scoring punch for the second unit, bring anderson into the starting lineup for defense and spacing the floor. Spread the talent a little for fucks sake.
      Why would you do that? I think that's plain stupid, not many teams do that because their initial lineup isn't talented enough. A team like OKC w/ Harden, New York w/ Smith, Clippers w/ Crawford, San Antonio w/ Ginobili have the privilege to play with spread out talent from starters to bench because their initial talent is very good/strong.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post

Dumbest Internet coaching suggestion I've read tonight.
        Last edited by iblastoff; Sat Mar 2, 2013, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Anderson might bring defense and 3 point shooting, but that'll force teams to load up on Gay, and Anderson is far too inconsistent, from the field, but takes shots regardless. Defense becomes the only positive he has over Derozan, but he makes me cringe when handling the ball.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            Anderson might bring defense and 3 point shooting, but that'll force teams to load up on Gay, and Anderson is far too inconsistent, from the field, but takes shots regardless. Defense becomes the only positive he has over Derozan, but he makes me cringe when handling the ball.
            In any game situation that would destroy the Raptors.

Comment

Id say play Ross more off the bench. His skill set is the what we need! The more he plays the more he matures, maybe he will get consistent enough to do that floor spacing in the starting unit that the 2nd comment talked about. He fits Gay's play way better than Anderson (D-league Kobe) does and he is our freaking rookie for crying out loud, HE NEEDS TO PLAY.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                Id say play Ross more off the bench. His skill set is the what we need! The more he plays the more he matures, maybe he will get consistent enough to do that floor spacing in the starting unit that the 2nd comment talked about. He fits Gay's play way better than Anderson (D-league Kobe) does and he is our freaking rookie for crying out loud, HE NEEDS TO PLAY.
                +1 on Ross...I see him easily being able to fill a JR Smith type role, though it might take til is 3rd or 4th season(with better D maybe, and better character for sure)...if he can just get enough minutes to maintain confidence. His ceiling could be higher, and his floor could be lower, but I have a hard time not seeing him be at least 6th man candidate good.

*and also agree about fitting Gay well....he should get a stint every half coming in for Demar next to Gay and Lowry. He can play off the ball to those guys, especially Lowry, who can attack the rim more with Demar off the floor.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Mar 2, 2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I don't understand why everyone thinks defenders will ignore anderson and cover gay, anderson has proven he isn't afraid to shoot. If his shot isn't falling, or he starts chucking too much, put demar back. Ross isn't ready.

Comment

Working...
                  X