No announcement yet.

Raptors should make Patterson their full time starter at the 4 spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id rather have Tyler start and Patterson come off the bench as the sixth man. We need his production from the bench more then we need it in the starting lineup.

Comment

relying on amir and tyler for scoring in the second lineup would not work. they would offer no spacing whatsoever.

Comment

Only way this works is if the bench unit can play to a scoreless draw every time they take the floor. With Vasquez at the point, that seems unlikely.

Patterson could eventually be the starter (next season?) but with this current group, he need's to be on the 2nd unit.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

You guys are way too quick to forget the impact Amir brings when healthy. His team defence is what makes us a top defensive team. You haven't noticed our defence slipping of late?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Raptors should make Patterson their full time starter at the 4 spot

Right now, Patterson should be part of the distant future of this team, whether it be starting or off the bench. But like it's been said above, need a couple more games of this to analyze before I make a decision.

I'd definitely be okay with Amir as the main backup big, but I think another piece would have to be added for the bench to be solidified.

Defense is a huge part of this decision, for sure.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

JV would have to be much, much better defensively to not have a huge drop off on that end of the floor by replacing Amir with PP in the starting line up. Personally not a move I would want to see.

Comment

I like the idea.

Not quite ready to jump on board after one game though.

However Patterson in the lineup allows more spacing for DeRozan and JV when they get their touches.

Amir on the 2nd unit with Vasquez would be better for pick and roll. Scary part is both Amir and Vasquez have been so hit or miss - will they ever hit together? lol

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I like the idea.

Not quite ready to jump on board after one game though.

However Patterson in the lineup allows more spacing for DeRozan and JV when they get their touches.

Amir on the 2nd unit with Vasquez would be better for pick and roll. Scary part is both Amir and Vasquez have been so hit or miss - will they ever hit together? lol
                  In theory, this is a pretty good idea, but the problem is that Vazquez' shooting and driving has been so bad that teams have been taking away the pass, forcing GV to make another play. Unlike the awesome Jose-Amir PnR tandem, GV isn't automatic like Jose with the open jumper.

However, in defense of Vasquez, he has been playing most of the time with: (a) 2Pat (nice player, but not as great a PnR big as Amir), (b) Hayes (who is utterly useless) and (c) Salmons (who has morphed into an ultra low-usage wing), so Greivis ends up being the focal point of the offense and he's just not that type of guard who can create offense at the end of the clock. So, yeah maybe that Amir-GV idea could work. Definitely worth a try.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    In theory, this is a pretty good idea, but the problem is that Vazquez' shooting and driving has been so bad that teams have been taking away the pass, forcing GV to make another play. Unlike the awesome Jose-Amir PnR tandem, GV isn't automatic like Jose with the open jumper.

However, in defense of Vasquez, he has been playing most of the time with: (a) 2Pat (nice player, but not as great a PnR big as Amir), (b) Hayes (who is utterly useless) and (c) Salmons (who has morphed into an ultra low-usage wing), so Greivis ends up being the focal point of the offense and he's just not that type of guard who can create offense at the end of the clock. So, yeah maybe that Amir-GV idea could work. Definitely worth a try.
                    I think you nailed it on the head of exactly what would happen. It wouldn't take defences long to adjust and certainly wouldn't work in the playoffs. GV just hasn't been able to shoot that well in his career. If Salmons was the Salmons of 5 years ago, it could work but with this current group I don't see how.

Any time a unit's primary scoring option is Amir, it's going to struggle to score. It's just not his game. He can be a good component in an offence, but he can't be the focal point. Too easy to defend. You'd need to add a shooter for pick and pop or slasher for weakside cuts to make it work. I'm sure Masai could acquire those pieces in the future, but for today, no thanks.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      I think you nailed it on the head of exactly what would happen. It wouldn't take defences long to adjust and certainly wouldn't work in the playoffs. GV just hasn't been able to shoot that well in his career. If Salmons was the Salmons of 5 years ago, it could work but with this current group I don't see how.

Any time a unit's primary scoring option is Amir, it's going to struggle to score. It's just not his game. He can be a good component in an offence, but he can't be the focal point. Too easy to defend. You'd need to add a shooter for pick and pop or slasher for weakside cuts to make it work. I'm sure Masai could acquire those pieces in the future, but for today, no thanks.
                      Novak?

Salmons?

Comment

Patterson in the starting lineup could work, as long as Casey is disciplined enough not to have Amir plus 4 benchers on the floor together at once. We gotta have 2 starters on the floor at all times.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Novak?

Salmons?
                          You missed the "pick and pop" part of shooter. How exactly would Novak get open? He's never been a screen and shoot guy. He's an off-ball catch and shoot player. There just isn't any evidence that he could play that role.

Surely you don't mean Salmons as a slasher at this point in his career?

Comment

Come playoff time I seriously hope Casey shrinks his bench and gives the starters many more minutes (40+). No reason why GV should get a lot of playing time when the real season begins, especially when guards usually don't get into foul trouble.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Come playoff time I seriously hope Casey shrinks his bench and gives the starters many more minutes (40+). No reason why GV should get a lot of playing time when the real season begins, especially when guards usually don't get into foul trouble.
                              No, but you still need to run a bench for stretches. A zero offence, mildly defensive unit for 5 minutes could easily mean a big run the other way. Unless you are counting on our starters to make up the points every time, in which case it won't take long for them to burn out and certainly wouldn't work against a good team (re: 2nd round)

Comment

No, but you still need to run a bench for stretches. A zero offence, mildly defensive unit for 5 minutes could easily mean a big run the other way. Unless you are counting on our starters to make up the points every time, in which case it won't take long for them to burn out and certainly wouldn't work against a good team (re: 2nd round)
                                I would assume that for that 5-8 minute stretch that the opposing team's bench would also be on the court as well. A PnR with Amir even if it can be stopped would have to be done with inferior talent on the opposing side.

Comment

Working...
                                X