Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phez wrote: View Post
    im pretty sure nobody actually remembers "the talk", only the actions. and when colangelo came in, we made playoffs twice (granted in a garbage eastern conference).

and i still dont understand your fascination with colangelo's new position. hes gone. hes not doing anything for the roster. why do you still care?
    and to point out what (I think) Slaw was referring to, Tim L's actions were not what he wanted them to be, and all he's left with so far is words. Stern and threatening words? Sure. But lets not forget we've only been TOLD he's the top dog - so far his actions have shown there is some level of influence from above.

I myself am trying to remain confident that this entire situation is going to sort itself out positively (ie. Colangelo is strapped in a sound proof office, with no access to phones or the interenet and he has to arrive at work before everyone and leave after everyone is already gone). But so far all we've seen is talk. If history repeats itslef we'll be left with lipstick on this pig.

This is what? The 4th straight year we've heard about 'change', been given some sort of action to indicate 'change', yet no real 'change' ever took place?

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
      and to point out what (I think) Slaw was referring to, Tim L's actions were not what he wanted them to be, and all he's left with so far is words. Stern and threatening words? Sure. But lets not forget we've only been TOLD he's the top dog - so far his actions have shown there is some level of influence from above.

I myself am trying to remain confident that this entire situation is going to sort itself out positively (ie. Colangelo is strapped in a sound proof office, with no access to phones or the interenet and he has to arrive at work before everyone and leave after everyone is already gone). But so far all we've seen is talk. If history repeats itslef we'll be left with lipstick on this pig.

This is what? The 4th straight year we've heard about 'change', been given some sort of action to indicate 'change', yet no real 'change' ever took place?
      Ahhhh bloody hell.

I had convinced myself it would work. Now I am returning to my original doubts.

The only thing keeping me optimistic is how Leiweke said he had the same arrangement with the Kings in LA.

Comment

• Interview with Nuggets owner Josh Kroenke from today, Masai is seriously considering coming to Toronto, and that owner is not gonna do anything to change his mind. (nuggets fans complain he's really cheap on all his teams).

http://www.1043thefan.com/Channels/D...spx?ID=1969454

Comment

• Dino4life wrote: View Post
          Interview with Nuggets owner Josh Kroenke from today, Masai is seriously considering coming to Toronto, and that owner is not gonna do anything to change his mind. (nuggets fans complain he's really cheap on all his teams).

http://www.1043thefan.com/Channels/D...spx?ID=1969454
          Lucky us!

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            Lucky us!
            Nuggets will hire BC then

Comment

• If they were going to keep Masai, Josh wouldn't be saying 'well keep our fingers crossed'

They aren't going to pay the amount of money that Toronto can. What they are referring to is that Masai might be able to see more 'professional relationships' and 'relationship development', which is bull.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Well maybe the bold is unfounded speculative bullshit on the part of an anonymous forum poster:
                Haha....maybe Ujiri should get the gig and retain Stefanski. We could then have 2 BC contrarians. I am not sure he was liberal with the contract terms though. Denver ownership doesnt like to overpay and the Nene deal was a strategic one (sign him to retain the asset and then trade him). The fact he was able to speaks to his correct reading of value. I do not think BC will be around long either by personal choice or Leiweke's or term of contract (just 1 more year isnt it?). The body lang. and tone by him and Tim just does not ring a happy marriage.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Masai Ujiri
                  General manager, Denver Nuggets

The reigning league executive of the year, Ujiri served under Colangelo as the Raptors’ director of director of global scouting and then assistant general manager. He took over the Nuggets in 2010, and handled the trade of Carmelo Anthony, who wanted out of Denver, deftly. He also signed Aaron Afflalo and Nene to expensive contract extensions and traded them in short order, something that might be necessary with the Raptors, given their surplus of long-term commitments to players. Despite his relationship with Colangelo, he reportedly disagreed often with the Raptors GM, just as Stefanski did, while working under him. Ujiri is not under contract with the Nuggets for next season.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...as-raptors-gm/
                  Well, Ujiri and Raptors fans have a lot in common.

Comment

• I guess one positive - assuming you take Leiweke and his comments at face value - is that he has said he does not believe the Raptors are close to where they need to be. My assumption would be that any hire agrees and is coming in to make meaningful changes to the roster.

Comment

• Masai Ujiri Likely To Leave Nuggets For Raptors

The Raptors have offered Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri a multiyear contract that will double, or perhaps triple, the best offer Denver has made, and it appears likely the executive will jump to Toronto, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports. Ujiri will take the next couple of days to consider the move, but there's "significant momentum" behind his negotiations with the Raptors, Wojnarowski writes.

A source tells Wojnarowski that Nuggets brass appears to be moving on, and it looks like the team's principal owners, the Kroenke family, aren't motivated to increase their offer to Ujiri, who reportedly made just $500K this past season as one of the league's lowest-paid executives. Marc Stein of ESPN.com reported this week that early estimates suggested the Raptors would offer Ujiri a salary of more than $2MM. That number appears to have grown close to $3MM, as Wojnarowski reported earlier today.

Ujiri served as assistant GM in Toronto under the recently reassigned Bryan Colangelo before taking over Denver's front office in the summer of 2010. Since that time, Ujiri completely revamped the Nuggets, trading Carmelo Anthony for a bounty widely lauded as the best return for a superstar in recent memory. Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun notes how Ujiri's skills as a talent evaluator and trade negotiator fit Raptors CEO Tim Leiweke's description of the ideal man for Toronto's GM job. The 42-year-old recipient of this year's Executive of the Year award has received overtures from other teams in the past, notably the Sixers last summer, but hasn't been close to leaving the Nuggets until now.

Ujiri's contract with the Nuggets expires June 30th. Raptors officials met with Ujiri today, and the two sides seemed to hit it off, expediting movement toward a deal. If Ujiri were to turn the Raptors down, the team appears to have interest in pairing Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard with Thunder assistant GM Troy Weaver.

Report From

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/05/m...r-raptors.html

Comment

• Damn. Even with management, Raptors still have to overpay.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                          Damn. Even with management, Raptors still have to overpay.
                          Rogers and Bell have an unlimited funds at their disposal. If Ujiri is the target, go get him. There's no cap in place for management.

Comment

• Agreed we want this guy so get it done!
                            Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

• And it ain't hard to beat the offer, when he's being paid 500k, of course now they offer way more, but still. I don't expect them trhowing more than several millions.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• They aren't trying very hard to retain him and that leaves me feeling like he may not be the saviour we are all hoping for.

Comment

Working...
                                X