Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://torontosportsmedia.com/toront...spect-sam/4263
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm a little slow. I need a little more context.
    Original article is subscriber only cause it's so old but here is the excerpt.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      http://torontosportsmedia.com/toront...spect-sam/4263

original article is subscriber only cause it's so old but here is the excerpt.
      lmao!!!

Comment

http://torontosportsmedia.com/toront...spect-sam/4263

Original article is subscriber only cause it's so old but here is the excerpt.
        That is funny.

I don't think the context it is being used in is fair though.

Ask just about every player on a team after a coach is fired what he thinks. The old coach was fired for a reason. In this case, Mitchell was not only hard on Bargnani (fwiw, I have no problem with that) but there were a lot of questions surrounding his leadership and x's and o's. Mitchell had his first coaching job in Toronto and since then was the lead assistant in NJ last year for one year only and..... well that is it. Why isn't he coaching again - even at an assistant level?

Triano at that time might have been the right man for the job. The relationship between coach and team was strained with Mitchell. Triano was well liked. That might have been needed at that time, but regardless of what was needed, it was what Bargnani knew at that time. One thing I respect with Bargnani is he gives straight answers.

As for Bargnani with Casey, I don't feel it is out of place to say Casey is what Toronto needed at this time. Bargnani's play this year backs up his claims. No he isn't rebounding but his OppPER is just 13.5. Bargnani is actually playing defense this year and the times he has not, Casey has shown him the bench. Luckily Bargnani has responded at such times.

It is tough for me to be objective as I am a fan of Bargnani and I hope nothing but success for him in Toronto. He is unorthodox in his style of play but I think he can be part of a winner in Toronto. Maybe I need to remove the rose coloured glasses but that is my opinion.

One thing to remember is Bargnani talks about his love for playing for Ettore Messina. Being challenged by a coach is not an issue for Bargnani. Being challenged by a coach he respects is another issue. I don't think he respected Mitchell therefore his challenges were for not. I don't think Triano challenged him therefore his game didn't improve in areas it needed to. I think he respects Casey and is up to the challenges he places before him.

Again all my opinion and I realize I am not the most objective poster when it comes to Bargnani. On the flip side, I don't think many other posters are objective to Bargnani either - but in the other extreme.

Comment

• To add to Matt's point, Mitchell absolutely adored Bosh. Even hearing him now as an "insider" on The Fan 590, Mitchell still talks up Bosh every chance he gets. Perhaps there was some favourtism going on at Bargnani's expense.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            To add to Matt's point, Mitchell absolutely adored Bosh. Even hearing him now as an "insider" on The Fan 590, Mitchell still talks up Bosh every chance he gets. Perhaps there was some favourtism going on at Bargnani's expense.
            I didn't raise the point to bash Bargnani and I don't disagree that Mitchell's relationship with Bargs was contentious and I am sure Bargs was happy to see him go. The point I was trying to make is that whenever I hear stuff like, "best shape of my life!" "whole new player" "better than I ever felt before" "really worked on my game this offseason" "the lockeroom has the best chemistry ever" I just take it all with a grain of salt. This stuff is said every year in all 30 organizations and is usually bullshit. The best coach is always the next one, the best offseason is always next year and the best roster is always just around the corner...

Comment

I didn't raise the point to bash Bargnani and I don't disagree that Mitchell's relationship with Bargs was contentious and I am sure Bargs was happy to see him go. The point I was trying to make is that whenever I hear stuff like, "best shape of my life!" "whole new player" "better than I ever felt before" "really worked on my game this offseason" "the lockeroom has the best chemistry ever" I just take it all with a grain of salt. This stuff is said every year in all 30 organizations and is usually bullshit. The best coach is always the next one, the best offseason is always next year and the best roster is always just around the corner...
              Very true.

Comment

All fair points.

The truth is rarely said in the here and now. When changes are made, the truth comes out. When looking forward, nothing bad can or will happen.

Comment

chicago bulls 1993 and again 98

Comment

hahaha that is so true. But i guess for this season, you can actually make Bargnani an exception because we have all seen how much he's improved. And next season, with a full camp and full practices, we might be in for another round of "best".

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                      hahaha that is so true. But i guess for this season, you can actually make Bargnani an exception because we have all seen how much he's improved. And next season, with a full camp and full practices, we might be in for another round of "best".
                      Honest question: what specific parts of Bargnani's game have improved? His shooting percentages are in line with or below his career averages. His rebounding numbers are at his career average. The only statistical differences I can see are: he's shooting about 5% better from the free throw line and he's made a negligible improvement to his assist numbers. Defensively, his DRTG is back to where it was under Sam Mitchell. I don't know how much of this is attributable to Bargnani cause: the Raptors play at a glacial pace and everyone else's DRTG is better, too.

Now, stats aren't everything, so I am ready to be convinced that others are seeing with their eyes a "new" Bargnani. To my eye, he looks pretty much the same as the Bargnani from last year and the year before that and the year before that. There isn't a long history of guys showing vast improvements in Year 7 of of a NBA career, so I expect the same guy next year.

What am I missing?

Comment

...What am I missing?
                        His help defence is tremendously improved. His defensive numbers get hurt when the rotations don't cover his guy while he is showing at the top of the key. I would say he is taking it to the basket more as well. Part of the numbers are skewed, I believe, because he came back too soon form his injury, then had that abysmal stretch of 10 games or so before he got back to playing well. Obviously a lot of the excitement is due to folks believing that he should be judged on the string of 13 good games, instead of the string of 10 bad ones when he returned form injury and didn't appear to be fully recovered.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                          His help defence is tremendously improved.
                          Not sure if I agree with this. He definitely hedges harder when defending PNRs, but if he's the last man standing under the basket, his help defense is just as poor as it's always been.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Not sure if I agree with this. He definitely hedges harder when defending PNRs, but if he's the last man standing under the basket, his help defense is just as poor as it's always been.
                            If you're the last man standing under the basket, you're not providing help, you're looking for it. :-)

Comment

• Andrea Bargnani is out for the rest of the season, according to BleacherReport from a tweet from Marc Spears! I guess Raptors are starting tanking from here on now :/
                              Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Bargnani done for year

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                                Andrea Bargnani is out for the rest of the season, according to BleacherReport from a tweet from Marc Spears! I guess Raptors are starting tanking from here on now :/
                                Right you are:

The Toronto Raptors announced Friday centre-forward Andrea Bargnani will miss the remainder of the 2011-12 season. He exited Sunday’s game in Oklahoma City at the 4:03 mark of the second quarter with left calf tightness.

Based on tests taken yesterday on his left calf and the reoccurrence of previous symptoms, Bargnani will be sidelined to eliminate any further risk.

Bargnani has averaged a team-high 19.5 points, with 5.5 rebounds and 33.3 minutes in 31 games. He led the team in scoring 13 times and recorded five games of 30 or more points. He missed 26 games with a left calf strain and one with left calf tightness.

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releases/bargnani_041312/

Comment

Working...
                                X