Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was a good story, that's it. Does not fit the Raptors teams direction

Comment

Jeremy Lin would be a great pick up by the Raptors. If you watch him play, you'll notice that he's a really good passer, a great one in transition. His one-on-one man defense is really good, he doesn't bite on any fakes or hesitation moves. Defensively his only troubles are off of picks (which I believe is partially the help defense's fault, partially his) and with his help defense. He has some of the quickest hands in the league, he gets a ton of steals when he's on the court, but he has a tendency to overhelp. I think that with a good defensive coach, he actually has a chance to be a great defensive player.

Offensively, he's quick, he can shoot (although he is streaky, somewhat like Kleiza is), but sometimes he overpenetrates and sometimes he simply has a loose handle. These are problems, they're his biggest weaknesses. However, they're not as bad as his turnover numbers would make it seem. A lot of his turnovers are either from him passing when he should be shooting and trying to hit a big man with hard passes to their hands (which if made would be easy conversions). He has great court-vision. Everyone sees this, Hubie Brown mentions it, Clyde Frazier mentions it. He also plays extremely well in clutch situations. His level of play increases as pressure builds. He's been like this for his whole life, even since high school.

I do think that he shouldn't be starting now, but I also think that he's going to be a great starting point guard when he develops further. On the Raptors next year, specifically, he would play really, really well with DeRozan and Valanciunas. Valanciunas is lauded for his exceptional hands for a big man. Lin would make tons of easy plays for him. Lin and him in the pick and roll would be devastating. DeRozan is great at finishing plays, but he's a poor ball-handler. Lin, being the smart player that he is, and good passer like he is, would do an excellent job of giving him the ball in situations in which he make a quick move to the basket or for a jump shot. On a team with so many good finishers, Jeremy Lin would be perfect. He would be perfect for the 12-13 Toronto Raptors.

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
        Lin is good, but he's not worth $[insert the number of millions he'll get on his next contract, whatever it is]M.
        I agree with this but the off the court stuff is irrelevant. GM's aren't going to care about gate numbers or endorsements, they're going to care about the on court product because in the end that will lead to consistent gate numbers and sponsorships as opposed to playing out gimmicky stuff. My fear was a guy like Colangelo gets duped by stats skewed due to the "D'Antoni Effect". That won't be the case now that he'll have to play under Mike Woodson the rest of the way in a traditional system which I feel will expose the player he really is, the player all those teams cut. That conclusion is logical when you consider the teams who cut him and compare their coaches to Woodson and to D'Antoni. They match up to Woodson, not D'Anotoni. All that said, somebody is going to look at the hot streak with MDA and they're going to give out a contract which is too much.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          I agree with this but the off the court stuff is irrelevant. GM's aren't going to care about gate numbers or endorsements, they're going to care about the on court product because in the end that will lead to consistent gate numbers and sponsorships as opposed to playing out gimmicky stuff. My fear was a guy like Colangelo gets duped by stats skewed due to the "D'Antoni Effect". That won't be the case now that he'll have to play under Mike Woodson the rest of the way in a traditional system which I feel will expose the player he really is, the player all those teams cut. That conclusion is logical when you consider the teams who cut him and compare their coaches to Woodson and to D'Antoni. They match up to Woodson, not D'Anotoni. All that said, somebody is going to look at the hot streak with MDA and they're going to give out a contract which is too much.
          I think you under estimate the weight of China in this. I am ready to bet that Jeremy Lin will be a starter in the ASG next year, whatever his stats are. And the year after. And after. It took 2 games for Chinese TV channels to buy the rights on Knicks games and broadcast them to their 1.5 billion population. They are highly contaminated by the Lin fever over there, and even if he underperforms big time, it'll take a long time for them to stop being crazy about him.

GM might not care, but owners do. At some point, when you can become the #1 franchise in China's heart, selling tons of jerseys, by slightly overpaying a guard, you tell your GM to do it. At the end of the day, it is a business.

Comment

I'm not underestimating anything, I'm telling you a GM's mandate is to put the best product on the floor possible. GM's rarely get fired while they're winning lots of games. The majority of the time GM's get fired for losing games. Why? Because their job is to win games, to improve the team and eventually win a title. It is the marketing department's job to figure out ways to sell more merchandise. Lin wasn't signed by the Knicks to sell sneakers and jerseys. He was signed on a flier, was almost cut and or traded multiple times and by chance before either could happen they were forced by default to play him. I think you're crossing wires here and reading too deeply into how the Knicks have handled Jeremy Lin.

GM might not care, but owners do. At some point, when you can become the #1 franchise in China's heart, selling tons of jerseys, by slightly overpaying a guard, you tell your GM to do it. At the end of the day, it is a business.
            Frankly, as a fans we shouldn't want the team we cheer for to have priorities set to milking gimmicks instead of winning games. Further, if the MLSE board demanded Colangelo sign Lin that's the minute I boycott the team. That's the very same crap which led to the team stinking for most of the last decade and it's the very same crap they promised not to get involved in again. Number crunchers count money, basketball minds make basketball decisions. Deviate and you're headed for major troubles.

Comment

I wouldnt be opposed to Lin being in a Raptos uniform.
              His turnovers come with the territory. His style is very aggressive. Even Nash and Rondo have 7 or 8 turnover games.

And the fact that he's humble is a plus. A player's personality always translates to his on-court habits.

Comment

I agree with everything you say. I'm just saying that among 30 franchises, one will be weak and do this. Probably a losing one though. And I'm sure no one in the Knicks org saw that Lin frenzy coming. But as a marketing exec, I can tell you that there must have been a lot of high fiving in their offices when they realized what kind of gold nugget they had been about to put in the trash.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Frankly, as a fans we shouldn't want the team we cheer for to have priorities set to milking gimmicks instead of winning games. Further, if the MLSE board demanded Colangelo sign Lin that's the minute I boycott the team. That's the very same crap which led to the team stinking for most of the last decade and it's the very same crap they promised not to get involved in again. Number crunchers count money, basketball minds make basketball decisions. Deviate and you're headed for major troubles.
                Again, I agree. I would also boycott. And I don't see us doing this. I'm just saying that some franchise might : remember the exposure that drafting Carter brought us... Some small markets know they won't have National TV broadcasting, so they would kill for Intl exposure. But you need a fan fav first.

Comment

Lin is a backup, not a starter. Can't run a pick n roll, streaky shooter, terrible defender, crazy TOs and you have to wonder about his success being a product of the "system" and he's terrible under pressure

On the plus side he can get in the paint all day and is pretty crafty.

Someone is going to crazy overpay for him and I pray it's not BCo
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                    Lin is a backup, not a starter. Can't run a pick n roll, streaky shooter, terrible defender, crazy TOs and you have to wonder about his success being a product of the "system" and he's terrible under pressure

Running the Pick 'n' Roll is something Lin actually does quite well.

Comment

I'll admit to only watching a few of the early games but there was a lot of missed plays then, especially when Amare came back and he wasn't able to get anything against the Heat. From what I've seen if he doesn't turn the corner he doesn't do much.
                      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I don't want him. We already have Bayless, plus Bayless is a better defender.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

That is not inappropriate : bottom line is Lin is the starting PG of a sub .500 team, averaging 14.7 pts and 6.3 assists and not ranked any higher than #24 in any individual stat category. If you take this into account, you can claim that he's a younger but less versatile version of Rodney Stuckey (I'm not comparing game style, I'm comparing talent).
                          His numbers before he began playing major minutes are moot. He's been averaging 20 and 8 since he began starting. That would place him in the top 5 for assists and top 15 for points.
                          minks77 wrote: View Post

He's one of the best defenders on the Knicks.
                          Take a look at this:

and this:

http://youtu.be/qlkYuCcY-qk?t=3m49s

Is it Lin's fault that Melo still isn't passing the ball or that STAT is 3 steps slower this year?

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                            His numbers before he began playing major minutes are moot. He's been averaging 20 and 8 since he began starting. That would place him in the top 5 for assists and top 15 for points.
                            He's one of the best defenders on the Knicks.
                            Take a look at this:

and this:

http://youtu.be/qlkYuCcY-qk?t=3m49s

Is it Lin's fault that Melo still isn't passing the ball or that STAT is 3 steps slower this year?
                            Why not include his turnover numbers since Starting as well?
                            Pretty sure it would put him #1 in that Cat as well.

Jeremy Lin in Toronto is a TERRIBLE idea.

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Running the Pick 'n' Roll is something Lin actually does quite well.
                            Unfortunately, giving the ball away to the other team is also something he does quite well.

If people can't stand watching Bayless put up 11 shots in a night, while shooting over 50% from the field, they will DIE when they watch Lin jack up 18 shots a night and hit 35% of them.
                            Last edited by Joey; Thu Mar 15, 2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Lin was overrated and linsanity is dead n gone. Notice how when d'antoni leaves the Knicks win by 40 and Lin played like crap. D'antoni didn't know how to handle multiple stars and especially a guy like melo

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                I don't want him. We already have Bayless, plus Bayless is a better defender.
                                True. You put bayless in the same shoes as Lin a couple of weeks back and he'd be baysanity(lame I know)

Comment

Working...
                                X