No announcement yet.

Amir Johnson - legit starting PF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me he's clearly the best performance to contract player on this team, and that includes the rookies.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      His numbers have proven otherwise as a starter.

Although PAST performance is a GOOD indicator of FUTURE performance, it is never perfect. Does anyone see Amir averaging 14 pts and 9 rebs a game for the duration of a season?
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        Although PAST performance is a GOOD indicator of FUTURE performance, it is never perfect. Does anyone see Amir averaging 14 pts and 9 rebs a game for the duration of a season?
        This year he is averaging 10 pts and 7 rebs in 26 minutes. Extend that to 35 minutes and there is your 14 and 9.

Comment

Amir is truly in #beastmode! Whether he's our starter or first big off the bench, I want him to stick around for a long time. Great attitude and proper hustle everyday...

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
            Assuming he stays out of foul trouble (and don't get me wrong thats a huge question mark) I think he can.

Last 3 years as a starter, per 36, he averaged approx 10, 12 and 16pts with atleast 9 rebounds each of those seasons.

Problem is, except for this year, he's only managed to stay on the floor (for one reason or another) for around 26 min a game as a starter.

Comment

Amir has been my favourite Raptor for the last few years, however he is not very consistent. He had an outstanding game yesterday no doubt, but Amir also disappears in a lot of games. Not sure if you remember that stretch last season when he wasn't mentally ready for some reason or another.

I want my starter to be consistent. A good starter for now, but not for the long term.

Comment

Reminds me of Antonio Davis

Comment

THING TO REMEMBER

Just because a person CAN start doesn't mean they should.

Think of it like this.

Landry Fields starts at the 3 position, he gives you 30 minutes a game and is a solid player. Then you go to your bench...you pull out youth (rookie mistakes) experience (banged up vet) or the D - League guy so for 18 minutes a game you have an inferior product. Now Rudy Gay comes in and gives you way more than Landry Fields but that does not negate Landry Fields contribution. Now you have a better player going to your bench that CAN start. Now he is playing against the second unit of other teams and instead of worrying about holding a lead we are extending it. Now we can hold a rookie such as Terrence Ross accountable for mistakes and push him in practice every single day. When you look at teams around the league that are successful, for instance The Heat, if Dwayne Wade goes down....Ray Allen is on the bench. DEPTH separates you from fringe playoff contender to legit championship contender.

Now back to us. Amir Johnson CAN start, and will likely play 30 minutes a game most nights, but why settle for that, when you will get the same thing from him off the bench. Gasol or Millsap or whoever we target are simply more talented. But you don't lose much in the way of contributions. Now Quincy Acy can be held accountable and brought along slowly. JV can be held accountable as well.

I think we see how hard he plays, how much heart he has we think this man DESERVES to start. But that is thinking with the heart and not the head. If we actually want to make some noise and the cheque book is open, Amir is not the best we can do even though he is one hell of a guy
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

TWO WORDS - PAUL MILLSAP

twiiter - @otiswolf1

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Reminds me of Antonio Davis
                      I disagree. Amir (bless his heart) has no "back to the basket" game. He is also maybe 60 pounds lighter. (No time to research). Amir 's game is quick reaction to offensive boards, and being faster then the other PF's that play his position. We've done it before. Keon Clark. Amir needs more weight, but he is a "starter."

Comment

I would think he is the 1st big off the bench, but plays just a bit less than a starter, 25-30 mins? Right now though, I would look at getting a partner for JV to have in the paint, or our future PF, as well as looking at a backup PG bcuz Lucas can't stay like this forever...

Comment

simple answer Yes... amir is a Legit Starting PF... but hes no were near an elite starting PF

Comment

Hey guys, how 'bout JJ Hickson? We hear a lot about the big names like Gasol, Jefferson West, Smith and Millsap, but I think he would be a great fit as our starting power forward. He's a free agent this summer.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                              simple answer Yes... amir is a Legit Starting PF... but hes no were near an elite starting PF
                              Thats true but idk if we need an elite PF at this stage. I think we roll with amir and try and move bargs for a backup pg and pf. If the opportunity presents itself, then we should trade for an elite PF but we shouldn't make it a priority.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                Thats true but idk if we need an elite PF at this stage. I think we roll with amir and try and move bargs for a backup pg and pf. If the opportunity presents itself, then we should trade for an elite PF but we shouldn't make it a priority.
                                +1. Amir has earned it too with his solid play, numbers definitely back it up. He's playing like an elite one that's for sure.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X