Amir Johnson - legit starting PF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Hey guys, how 'bout JJ Hickson? We hear a lot about the big names like Gasol, Jefferson West, Smith and Millsap, but I think he would be a great fit as our starting power forward. He's a free agent this summer.
    A guy like HIckson scares the shit out of me. No meeting his potential for years. Finally starts to last year in a contract year. Signs a modest contract with a player option and blows up. Scary, scary shit right there.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      A guy like HIckson scares the shit out of me. No meeting his potential for years. Finally starts to last year in a contract year. Signs a modest contract with a player option and blows up. Scary, scary shit right there.
      I remember a situation we had like that... Jose Calderon. Oh wait, Jose is playing amazing once again, in his contract year..

Scary, scary shit man..
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Jose is playing amazing once again, in his contract year..
        Yup, that wasn't a coincidence. It's something not many people talked about when attempting to argue that trading him was a bad idea.

CONTRACT YEAR people!!!

Comment

Contract Year players scare the sh!t out of me to.. can't fall into that Hedo trap again (although who other than Bryan didn't see that coming a mile away)?

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Why can't Amir be are starting PF?
            Amir's biggest issue is consistency. Although he has been better in the last couple of months, historically he has too many "off" nights.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              Amir's biggest issue is consistency.
              Have to agree with that, Amir can have great nights but he just can't sustain starter quality minutes with his production. Sac-Town is in a bit of a powerforeward problem, they've got like 6. They're probably gonna have to trade somebody and someone like T.Rob or Jason Thompson are just as likely a candidate as DMC, though i think there is no way for toronto to land DMC.
              "If thats what you say bruh"- Russel Westbrook

Comment

I cant believe im saying this but im kinda excited to see what Bargnani will be able to do with the 2nd unit tomorrow night. What the 2nd unit sorely lacks is a scorer, so if Bargnani is put in a situation where his only job is to score, it might do wonders for the team.

Lucas/Ross/Fields/Bargnani/Gray. 3 defenders, 2 scorers. 2 rebounders. Looks solid.

Oh sorry, to answer the question, no, i dont think Amir is a legit starter. He can fill in at times, but not as a regular starter.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                  I cant believe im saying this but im kinda excited to see what Bargnani will be able to do with the 2nd unit tomorrow night. What the 2nd unit sorely lacks is a scorer, so if Bargnani is put in a situation where his only job is to score, it might do wonders for the team.

Lucas/Ross/Fields/Bargnani/Gray. 3 defenders, 2 scorers. 2 rebounders. Looks solid.

Oh sorry, to answer the question, no, i dont think Amir is a legit starter. He can fill in at times, but not as a regular starter.
                  Noooooooo!!!! Bargnani's sole purpose is to play well to improve his trade value. That's it.

Comment

What about Kenyon Martin? He's a FA and we need a veteran big

Comment

Give Bargs a chance to if he fails then johnson gets the job. I don't think h'll be a great PF, but h'll get the job done.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Noooooooo!!!! Bargnani's sole purpose is to play well to improve his trade value. That's it.
                        hahahaha im just curious to see if he can give the 2nd unit a lift. maybe he'll accept within himself that he really cant be a starter and cant do any better than an off the bench guy.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          But this year he's shown he can hit that long jump shot. As long as he's given the five seconds he needs to get it off.
                          Amir makes 35% of his field goal attempts from 16-23 feet; the same percentage as last year.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Amir%20Johnson

Considering these are mostly uncontested shots and teams are still giving him that wide open look, I'd say he has not shown the ability to hit that shot.

I wish there was a site that would show the breakdowns for wide open, open, contested, and strongly contested but I have to find any.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            Amir makes 35% of his field goal attempts from 16-23 feet; the same percentage as last year.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Amir%20Johnson

Considering these are mostly uncontested shots and teams are still giving him that wide open look, I'd say he has not shown the ability to hit that shot.

I wish there was a site that would show the breakdowns for wide open, open, contested, and strongly contested but I have to find any.
                            I also don't want Amir starting and taking those shots. If that's what we're counting on him to do, we may as well start Bargnani; at least teams defend and gameplan against him, opening up the court for other players. The biggest problem with Amir (and Gray) starting, is that he doesn't demand the respect/attention from opposing teams, allowing them to double-team Gay/DeRozan/Lowry more often. I want an upgraded starting PF who will play in the low post, back to the basket, drawing the occasional double-teams (ie: a traditional PF). I am happy to keep Amir as a backup PF, but not as the team's long-term starter, especially if he tries to become a mid/long-range jumpshooter - we have more than enough of those!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I want an upgraded starting PF who will play in the low post, back to the basket, drawing the occasional double-teams (ie: a traditional PF).
                              Gasol fits this description quite nicely.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Gasol fits this description quite nicely.
                                How about Kevin Love? hahahha

Comment

Working...
                                X