• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

toronto fans are never happy.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
      toronto fans are never happy.
      i just want to see that buzz around town. Everyone cheering on the raps and people everywhere wearing raptors jerseys, and a sold out crowd at the ACC. also my friend keeps making fun of the raptors saying that we suck and we'll never make it to the playoffs. I just want to rub it in some peoples faces.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
        would you guys be happy if our team improved we aquired a great pick and we ended up grabbing 8th seed? i wouldn't care if we get eliminated in the first round. Atleast we get some respect from around the league and people will stop making fun of this team. And also free agents will be more interested in coming here.
        You don't get respect by simply making the playoffs. And I still make fun of the Canucks here in Vancouver because, even though they make the playoffs, they never do anything once they get there. I'm not one of those people that would be happy with simply making the playoffs. I view what the Raptors did when Vince was at his best as a failure.

And free agents don't want to come to first round playoff teams any more than they want to come to lottery teams. Free agents want to go to contenders.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

That's alot of if's so let me add one more. If there is a season. Barring a major miracle and a major heist job with some trades I don't expect much more from these guys than what we already got.
          Deadallus

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            And free agents don't want to come to first round playoff teams any more than they want to come to lottery teams. Free agents want to go to contenders.
            ..... and get paid.

I'm not always sure of the order of priority but I think it has something to do with age and previous amount of money made.

Comment

The goal should always be the best you can do and let the chips fall where they may.

Personally, if I had a choice of making the playoffs or not - I make the playoffs. If they play their best ball of the season at the end of the year, anything can happen. See DEN, GSW, MEM as examples of 8th seeds that have knocked off number 1's.

If I had the choice of not making the playoffs barely versus another 20-odd win season and high pick, I take the high pick hoping they were at least competitive.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                The goal should always be the best you can do and let the chips fall where they may.

Personally, if I had a choice of making the playoffs or not - I make the playoffs. If they play their best ball of the season at the end of the year, anything can happen. See DEN, GSW, MEM as examples of 8th seeds that have knocked off number 1's.

If I had the choice of not making the playoffs barely versus another 20-odd win season and high pick, I take the high pick hoping they were at least competitive.
                I think the question is whether you TRY to make the playoffs, in the sense that you go after veterans who will help you reach that goal. I say absolutely not. If the Raptors continue along the same path and make the playoffs, great, but I don't think they should go out of their way to make them next year.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

i just want to see that buzz around town. Everyone cheering on the raps and people everywhere wearing raptors jerseys, and a sold out crowd at the ACC. also my friend keeps making fun of the raptors saying that we suck and we'll never make it to the playoffs. I just want to rub it in some peoples faces.
                  a rule of thumb, that you'll figure out sooner or later.. no matter how good shit is, toronto always finds something to cry about

Comment

well i decided to post this new thread cause there hasn't been much talk about the team next season. How many wins will we have? What players will we aquire through Free agency, Trade and Draft? But the main question is, Will We make it to the playoffs? IMO if everything goes right(i.e we draft Irving/williams/kanter trade bargnani and bring in a Veteran C) then we'll make it to the playoffs with the 7th or 8th seed.

One of the things we really need to address this off season is our 3 pt shooting. We went from one of the best 3 pt shooting teams to the worst. If Derozan comes back shooting 30+% from behind the arc, JJ improves his 3pt shot to the low 30's, bayless comes back with a polished shot and we bring in another wing player(i.e Affalo or chandler) then we'll be among one of the best again.
                    With what they have right this minute, no but if they add the right piece in the off-season it's very possible but impossible to decide on now.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I think the question is whether you TRY to make the playoffs, in the sense that you go after veterans who will help you reach that goal. I say absolutely not. If the Raptors continue along the same path and make the playoffs, great, but I don't think they should go out of their way to make them next year.
                      thats what i mean't. If we continue with the rebuild and bring in some pieces and play some good ball and end up making the playoffs it would be great. Our players will get some playoff experience

Comment

Yeah I agree. Shouldn't force your way to an 9th seed with veterans but hopefully the youngens get there on their own. Even watching the Pacers this year in the playoffs, I think they learned a lot from their experience and could make a (small) leap next year in the standings.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

thats what i mean't. If we continue with the rebuild and bring in some pieces and play some good ball and end up making the playoffs it would be great. Our players will get some playoff experience
                          Depends who those good pieces are. If you bring in players who are in their late 20's (i.e. in their prime or just going down) while paying them big money, I don't think that is a good recipe for success nor will it be good for the franchise long term.

The guy I'd like to see them take a run at is Al-Farouq Aminu on the Clippers. Through rumours and NBA chats with analysts the common consensus (as much as I hate following the herd) is the Clippers are looking for a SF who is able to contribute NOW. I think in their minds the development of player days and acquiring young talent is done. They want to start to compete in the playoffs. Given what they have, I don't think that is unreasonable if injuries do not continue to be an issue.

Comment

Depends who those good pieces are. If you bring in players who are in their late 20's (i.e. in their prime or just going down) while paying them big money, I don't think that is a good recipe for success nor will it be good for the franchise long term.

The guy I'd like to see them take a run at is Al-Farouq Aminu on the Clippers. Through rumours and NBA chats with analysts the common consensus (as much as I hate following the herd) is the Clippers are looking for a SF who is able to contribute NOW. I think in their minds the development of player days and acquiring young talent is done. They want to start to compete in the playoffs. Given what they have, I don't think that is unreasonable if injuries do not continue to be an issue.
                            a verteran C is what we need. someone in his early 30's or late 20's. Oden or Dalambert come to mind

Comment

a verteran C is what we need. someone in his early 30's or late 20's. Oden or Dalambert come to mind
                              Late 20's in my mind is 28 next season. I guess we have a difference of opinion here. The veteran C will most definitely help in the short term, but how is a C who will be well in to their 30's by the time DD, ED, Bayless, new draft pick are in their mid-20's?

The hardest thing to do as a GM, in my opinion, is resist what may be GOOD NOW for what may be GREAT LATER.

As an aside, the only C I can think of that might fit the bill is Varejo. He is 28 but his game does not rely on athleticism. So I give him a maybe.

Comment

What they need to do is mold their own veteran center(s). Paying big money for a guy around 30 is no good to a team far away from doing anything significant. Good teams looking to take the next step add people like that to help them win now.

Comment

Working...
                                X