ROUND 1 - Raptors vs Nets + The Refs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Hey chris...... you read much? or do you just pick out the parts you like and go from there?

weak sauce
    Prove this 8-0 foul call stuff.

I see 3-1 until the intentional fouls started in the 4th.
    and 23-19 for the game.

Either back it up or stop spouting bullshit.

Comment

There were zero defensive fouls called against Brooklyn until the game was out of hand

Zero defensive fouls, in an entire quarter, called against a physical team

Very suspect
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

[IMG] [/IMG]
        Zach Lowe doesn't like our whining.

Comment

Conspiracy theories offer easy answers by casting the world as simpler and more predictable than it is. Their popularity may pose a threat to societal well-being
          http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...racy-theories/

people who harbor conspiracist thoughts are also more inclined to paranoid ideation and schizotypy, a mild form of schizophrenia.
          LMAO!

Comment

The Flight MH370 case study.

Comment

jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
              [IMG] [/IMG]
              Zach Lowe doesn't like our whining.

I think he's also referring to the Cathal Kelly article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle18088734/

Whining about calls is fine (to an extent), but claiming a bias or conspiracy is silly and makes the fan base look bad since it seems we're all getting painted with the same brush. Which sucks because no one was paying any attention before, and now it seems like they're only focusing on the whining.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

There are conspiracies of planned events, in which a small cabal group themselves around a dingy table by the light of a dimly lit bulb, and determine who will take what specific actions to accomplish the common nefarious aim.

Then their are conspiracies of attitude, culture and values in which it is okay to ignore fouls committed by star players, to whistle relative newcomers to the league for minor and ignorable infractions in a different context, and to in which it is believed that it benefits the league when big market and popular teams with easily recognizable players make it to the finals.

To think that the first is applicable in the case of the Raptors is indeed silly. To think that the second case is not applicable is naive and ignores documented reality.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  There are conspiracies of planned events, in which a small cabal group themselves around a dingy table by the light of a dimly lit bulb, and determine who will take what specific actions to accomplish the common nefarious aim.

Then their are conspiracies of attitude, culture and values in which it is okay to ignore fouls committed by star players, to whistle relative newcomers to the league for minor and ignorable infractions in a different context, and to in which it is believed that it benefits the league when big market and popular teams with easily recognizable players make it to the finals.

To think that the first is applicable in the case of the Raptors is indeed silly. To think that the second case is not applicable is naive and ignores documented reality.
                  This is where San Antonio steps in and throws the theory out the window. They're neither a big market, nor a ratings driver, yet they've been the best team (in any sport) for basically 20 years.

I agree that star calls happen. There's no denying that. But to say that star calls happen to help TV ratings, is just as paranoid as a fake moon landing.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    This is where San Antonio steps in and throws the theory out the window. They're neither a big market, nor a ratings driver, yet they've been the best team (in any sport) for basically 20 years.

I agree that star calls happen. There's no denying that. But to say that star calls happen to help TV ratings, is just as paranoid as a fake moon landing.
                    It's just frustrating because of the impact it can have on outcomes, even if it's inadvertent with no intent to manipulate.

For instance, in game 1 KG gets a block on Jonas that may have been a foul. Then Jonas gets a clean block that is called a foul. That's a possible 4 pt swing because of a future HOFer getting a call over a youngster (even though the youngster outplayed him all game).

A 4 pt swing could well be critical to the outcome of a basketball game. And it can happen just because, well, officiating is very screwy and pretty terrible in the NBA.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

The refs were fine...if you want an example of biased reffing watch the Charlotte-Miami game

Game one had 12 fta for Charlotte and i think 26 for Miami

Al Jefferson did not attempt a FT.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        It's just frustrating because of the impact it can have on outcomes, even if it's inadvertent with no intent to manipulate.

For instance, in game 1 KG gets a block on Jonas that may have been a foul. Then Jonas gets a clean block that is called a foul. That's a possible 4 pt swing because of a future HOFer getting a call over a youngster (even though the youngster outplayed him all game).

A 4 pt swing could well be critical to the outcome of a basketball game. And it can happen just because, well, officiating is very screwy and pretty terrible in the NBA.

I couldn't agree more. But that human element will always be there (until we replace refs with droids )

Comment

I couldn't agree more. But that human element will always be there (until we replace refs with droids )
                          I should've gone into engineering

Comment

And I accept the human element in terms of error. Just wish the errors had nothing to do with the name on the back (or even the front) of the jersey.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              And I accept the human element in terms of error. Just wish the errors had nothing to do with the name on the back (or even the front) of the jersey.

But it works like this, you see Kevin Durant make swish after swish after swish, then you see him shoot an airball and your thought process is "he must've been fouled" because what happened goes against the norm. Guys like Durant, Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, etc. build up a reputation as being able to make shots, so when they don't you give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a 50/50 call every time. Of course it's not right but it's just how our mind's operate.

If we were playing pickup and you hack me 4 times in a row while I'm shooting the 5th time I miss most people are going to think you fouled me.

Again if we had played a great game and lost because of bad calls that's one thing, but playing like shit and complaining about a 3-1 foul disparity in the 4th quarter is idiotic.

Comment

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...nets-referees/

Tim Donaghy was on The Jeff Blair Show and basically said the refs are programmed to favour one team over the other. I don't know how credible he is after the whole betting scandal but still gives interesting insight on how refs are prepared for playoff games

Comment

Working...
                                X