Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    there is only one thing that matters in this game, and that is to GET BUCKETS... Rudy Gay GETS BUCKETS
    lol +1

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Then why the ongoing discussion of a minor concussion that caused him to miss one game a year ago? You had a serious head trauma that needed immediate medical attention and had lasting effects. This is not Rudy Gay's situation.

Lets gets something straight here: there was a time when I valued Gay but it is not now. Now would be the ultimate buying low opportunity on him (assuming Colangelo is not an idiot.... ah shit, nevermind) in theory. My value of Gay is Gay > Bargnani + DeRozan. If things don't work out with Gay, at most he is here for 2 years. We know things are not working out for Bargnani and DeRozan and they are here for another 2 and 4 years respectively.
      Again, I don't think any documented concision is minor. Especially for a pro athlete, who suddenly is on a down turn.

I think his entire injury history, and his current performance impacts his present value. These are thoroughbreds, don't compare yourself to them. Every factor should be considered, when determining value.
      Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• I think we need to wait and see. I think things will fall apart and things will be back to normal. No takers for Jose. Poor guy.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
          Again, I don't think any documented concision is minor. Especially for a pro athlete, who suddenly is on a down turn.

I think his entire injury history, and his current performance impacts his present value. There is a thoroughbreds, don't compare yourself to them. Every factor should be considered.
          Concussions happen all the time in sports like hockey and football. Its nothin man, let it go.

Comment

I think his entire injury history, and his current performance impacts his present value. There is a thoroughbreds, don't compare yourself to them. Every factor should be considered.
            I can't compare two basketball induced concussions as cause for minor concern but you can use your experience falling out of a bunk as an example of why a concussion is serious?

Ok. Makes total sense.

His play and contract are issues. Not a freak shoulder injury and a one time concussion.

Comment

• I made my point, I want to buy low, you guys want to prop up Gay for Memphis, whatever, I am not down with the deal as I read it in the news.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I can't compare two basketball induced concussions as cause for minor concern but you can use your experience falling out of a bunk as an example of why a concussion is serious?

Ok. Makes total sense.

His play and contract are issues. Not a freak shoulder injury and a one time concussion.
                Huh?

I will state it again, Concussions are serious in pro athletes. A 2nd documented one at this point will send his value tumbling in the future. Why should this not be a consideration?

EDIT: I think I understand your point, now. LOGIC states that if one person has no problems with concussions, and another does. That doesn't mean they cancel out, the valid logical conclusion is: "Concussions can sometimes be serious."
                Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Huh?

I will state it again, Concussions are serious in pro athletes. A 2nd documented one at this point will send his value tumbling in the future. Why should this not be a consideration?

EDIT: I think I understand your point, now. LOGIC states that if one person has no problems with concussions, and another does. That doesn't mean they cancel out, the valid logical conclusion is: "Concussions can sometimes be serious."
                  The bottom line is that I trust the Raptors medical staff. Regardless of the player, if they pass the tests with a clean bill of health, I don't worry about past injuries. Most players in the league have some sort of injury history and every single player can easily have their value/career derailed with a single injury at anytime. The logic you're applying to Gay can be applied to every player, so therefore the concern is negated with medical clearance.

Comment

• The Raptors medical staff was okay with Jamaine O'Neal, Hakeem, and TJ Ford. I think an entire injury history should always be considered when making a trade.

Especially for a player that will eat up this much salary. (this is primary fodder for negotiations, I am starting to think you guys are trying to help Memphis)
                    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Its not our medical staff. Its just plain old bad luck. We Have an amazing medical staff but we have terrible luck.

Comment

The Raptors medical staff was okay with Jamaine O'Neal, Hakeem, and TJ Ford. I think an entire injury history should always be considered when making a trade.
                        Exactly. I haven't heard any whispers or rumors of Gay's past concussion being cause for any health and/or performance related concerns, so I'm not entirely sure why you're getting so worked up about it.

It would be like me pushing for Lowry to be traded because his multiple ankle injuries are cause for long-term mobility concerns... it's true, but it's such a non-factor that it doesn't really need to enter the discussion at this point in time.

Comment

• Because I am a Raptor fan 1st, and I care about getting the best deal for my team.

Besides, I don't like Gay this year, and don't want to sell myself false hope.
                          Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Its not our medical staff. Its just plain old bad luck. We Have an amazing medical staff but we have terrible luck.
                            Luck is entirely dependent on the predicament you put yourself in, and even more the reason to scrutinize assets that come in to this rebuild.

Comment

Luck is entirely dependent on the predicament you put yourself in, and even more the reason to scrutinize assets that come in to this rebuild.
                              That's a little unfair. I would categorize the injuries sustained by both Bargnani and Valanciunas to be nothing but bad luck. Kleiza's would be fair to categorize as a little more chronic, as would Calderon's history of hamstring injuries.

I agree that some injury trends can be predicted, to a point, but other injuries are nothing but freak accidents that are due to nothing more than the luck of the basketball gods.

Again, regardless of the player, as long as the Raptors medical staff does their due dilligence, I am satisifed. Anything more than that and you might as well consult a psychic!

Comment

• Not in support of this trade as it is listed. Reeks of a GM trying to save his job.

Comment

Working...
                                X