No announcement yet.

Game day: Tor @ okc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still fell asleep watching this game, missed the 4th. I am not a real fan though. I like beating these real teams or breaking a streak just for the blip on the NBA radar they give us. As a long time Raptors fan I have given up on a tank. These are the Toronto Raptors we are dealing with, they cant even tank right especially with other teams tanking harder, better, faster, stronger.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
      See this is the thing.

When this team starts tanking, then I will prefer losses.

But this team is not tanking right now, to wish them to lose would be ones own prerogative and not the prerogative of the team. Until that is accepted, you will only be forcing yourself to be miserable in a winning season, and since those are rare, it seems likely that the misery sustains (like when your prized draft pick turns out like Anthony Bennett).

I just feel bad for those that go through 5-6 losing seasons, and then the seasons where we can actually win and have fun (no championship, oh, well) they still wish to be miserable.
      It is the memory if 2006-2008 and the knowledge it is likely to occur again as is

Comment

• hateslosing wrote: View Post
        Good teams have role players step up in close games. No one is arguing that Salmons is going to be our guy every night but successful teams always need guys who aren't their stars to have big games. Tonight it was Salmons, tomorrow it could be Psycho T or Ross but having one of our role players step up and make shots late in the game is not a bad thing; it's a sign that this team is starting to play winning basketball.
        If Fisher, a 39 year old vet, led OKC back into the game at the end you wouldn't say that OKC was unsustainable, you'd say that OKC put the ball in the hands of their Vet and he delivered. While Salmons is not Fisher (or even close), he is a vet and is one of our role players and I think you can only look at him stepping up as a positive in terms of our development.
        You can't argue that this team looks miles better since the trade. The record isn't great yet but it's a hell of a lot better than I would have predicted weeks ago.
        Good point.

Difference though is those role players play off stars.

Toronto was running ISOs for John Salmons.

Also talent in this year draft vs. last year is night and day.
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Dec 23, 2013, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          agree with most of this. too early to tell about bennet.
          Definitely too early to tell, but could you imagine if after a successful tank, Wiggins comes out of the gate in a similar fashion? How would that make the pro-tankers feel? 3 more tanking season to roll the dice on a another star?

My point is really, just enjoy it when we beat the best team in the NBA. Otherwise, what are you enjoying in Raptor ball? especially those who wish to dump the team for draft picks... even the player development angle becomes void, and I really want to know why they still watch.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
            We'll lose tomorrow and then win the next 3.
            where you going, 7 game win streak
            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
            No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

...loving masai, seems like a value investor to me...
              This.

Have faith Matt. Just because we can see no path out of the wilderness doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

Comment

• the joy is so real
                yall should hop off the tank now
                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                  the joy is so real
                  yall should hop off the tank now
                  Hey LM, I love every Raptors win. Wife and I were cheering big time.

Just that, like Matt says, I remember what happened last time.

I'm willing to go with the flow. Can't change anything or affect anything so I choose to hitch my wagon up to Masais' team and let him do the heavy pulling. the man has been magic so far. That's good enough for me.

Comment

agree with most of this. too early to tell about bennet.

loving the new look raptors. happy we got vasquez. i also hope we can send salmons off at the deadline. amir making me eat crow right now. i was a big supporter of ed and wanted amir gone but he has stepped it up huge.

right now the only trade i think they will make is the lowry trade. the closer to the deadline the better for masai. he can hopefully get a large lead on the division competition, make the trade and still have the team make the playoffs. i'm guessing that the raptors never have a contract go into an offseason not guaranteed to be coming back to the raptors. no bargaining wars for our own players.

loving masai, seems like a value investor to me. you can never know the future and he so far has made all moves with that in mind.
                    so you want to go into the playoffs with no lowry. how exactly does that make sense. thats pretty much the WORST of both worlds.

Comment

• Good game.
                      Not sure what to make of the end result.
                      Withstanding a rally wherein Westbrook can't miss a shot and beating OKC on the road is a good sign of progress.
                      Hell, it's probably the most mature and calm win this squad has put together in at least a couple years.
                      ...But Durant wasn't Durant and OKC was on a back-to-back with San Antonio as well...so...

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                        Definitely too early to tell, but could you imagine if after a successful tank, Wiggins comes out of the gate in a similar fashion? How would that make the pro-tankers feel? 3 more tanking season to roll the dice on a another star?

My point is really, just enjoy it when we beat the best team in the NBA. Otherwise, what are you enjoying in Raptor ball? especially those who wish to dump the team for draft picks... even the player development angle becomes void, and I really want to know why they still watch.
                        i'm confused. so you're only allowed to be positive about the current lineup? but if new blood comes in, you decide to be absolutely negative about it? how does 'player development angle become void' just because you say it will? what if wiggins/parker/whoever come out guns ablazin' for utah/some other team and they get catapulted right past the raptors who won't have anything to show for this entire year minus a short little playoff run that goes nowhere? do you really think we're going to be extending all the sacramento players past this season?

basically, why would you pissed about having more value assets (either for growth or trade) at the cost of very little?

Comment

• I think the only time I'll flip out is if Masai goes out and tries to get a piece to improve our playoff chances (which is very unlikely). I'm going to enjoy every win and ride the streak. I love the fact that the team is responding in light of the threat of being dismantled. As fans I think we're missing this narrative.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            I think the only time I'll flip out is if Masai goes out and tries to get a piece to improve our playoff chances (which is very unlikely). I'm going to enjoy every win and ride the streak. I love the fact that the team is responding in light of the threat of being dismantled. As fans I think we're missing this narrative.
                            100%

Nevermind the logic of building a team and tanking, if you're disappointed with these wins you are missing the punchline.

Comment

• Shrub wrote: View Post
                              100%

Nevermind the logic of building a team and tanking, if you're disappointed with these wins you are missing the punchline.
                              Flip side:

If you're happy with these wins you've missed the last 5 years

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Flip side:

If you're happy with these wins you've missed the last 5 years
                                Or, I haven't forgotten that sports are entertainment in the heat of my rabid championship lust.
                                Maybe it's that.

Comment

Working...
                                X