Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME THREAD: Will We Win against the wily WSH Wizards without Wall? (Lowry's back!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt confusing JV with the JV picked after him in the 2011 draft
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      Vesely could never do that.
      He probably could, and has.

Comment

imaginelino wrote: View Post
        I think he has a better environment here to develop into one than what there is in New York. He seems to be in position and in control and moves well without the ball, his shot hasn't been dropping, but its pre season so..
        agreed. playing with melo doesn't reward people for cutting hard to the basket. he was rewarded well today for great off ball plays by landry.

Comment

side note wanted to mention how impressive the 17 assists our 3 pgs racked up tonight

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            side note wanted to mention how impressive the 17 assists our 3 pgs racked up tonight
            Yeah, our point guards were extremely good tonight. Love our depth, especially cause all three guys can play the 2-spot.

JV, Lowry, Fields, and Derozan was extremely pleasing to see. Demar has gotten significantly stronger, and you can tell with the way he is playing down low. Basically the starting unit was good to watch, except for Andrea.

Now that this team is playing a different offensive system, and much better talent, I'm starting to think this team can win without Andrea more and more. Am I the only one feeling that? Toronto came out looking for Demar, and Andrea was rarely ran for offensively. Not to mention Andrea doesn't work hard unlike the other 11 guys ready to play...
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Yeah, our point guards were extremely good tonight. Love our depth, especially cause all three guys can play the 2-spot.

JV, Lowry, Fields, and Derozan was extremely pleasing to see. Demar has gotten significantly stronger, and you can tell with the way he is playing down low. Basically the starting unit was good to watch, except for Andrea.

Now that this team is playing a different offensive system, and much better talent, I'm starting to think this team can win without Andrea more and more. Am I the only one feeling that? Toronto came out looking for Demar, and Andrea was rarely ran for offensively. Not to mention Andrea doesn't work hard unlike the other 11 guys ready to play...
              I disagree with that. the only reason DD can post up like that is cause Bargnani is out there spacing. This team needs AB to produce to win games.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                I disagree with that. the only reason DD can post up like that is cause Bargnani is out there spacing. This team needs AB to produce to win games.
                Okay, but doesn't necessarily mean Demar can't get to the rim without Andrea on the floor. Talk about spacing all you want, no doubt it's important, but it's a mindset. Spacing just makes it easier for him. With Andrea being so ineffective offensively so far, I don't see a reason why Demar can't be successful without Andrea. Now that the team is talented, and overall more shooters, Andrea doesn't need to be on the floor for Demar to post up.

Comment

Raps vs. Wiz Post-Game Analysis

http://raptorsongame.blogspot.ca/201...-2012-pre.html

"WI-HICKTORY BABY!" (Victory baby) - Jonas Valanciunas.

Raptors win over Washington 104-101.

Summarize: This game marked some significant things tonight. Which were all positives. Lowry's debut, Fields' true ability, JV against a defensive big man, and more. This game was different than every other game last season, and our first 3 games. First of all, it clearly was a game where Toronto went off to a great start, but started falling short defensively. Now, that could be a matter of fatigue, and still getting into the flow, (Being Lowry, JV, and Bargs still fairly unconditioned), but again, 30+ points in a quarter is unacceptable, especially for a team that prides on defense. This was the first time where, all our key players are healthy - In my opinion, I don't see Ross a key player. Yet - and we looked to have some good chemistry and connection on the floor. Overall, this game didn't have a great feel to it necessarily, being the game seemed like there were more than 29 turnovers overall. Also, Toronto shot a whole 50% from the field for the game, which is a good sign for Coach Casey and his hard work put forth to the offensive end. Toronto also put a huge emphasis on points in the paint with 50, but, so did Washington with 50 as well.

3 Standouts:

Landry Fields - 15 points, 1 steal, 2 assists, 3 rebounds.
                  Kyle Lowry - 14 points,4 assists, 3 steals, 3 rebounds.
                  Jonas Valanciunas - 8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 steal.
                  Honorable Mention = Jose Calderon - 12 points, 8 assists, 2 steals.

Nice Moves:

Valanciunas with the double pump-fake, and slam.
                  Lowry finding a cutting Fields on a reverse slam.
                  Derozan with the drive and slam off JV screen.

Defensive Standout:

Kyle Lowry/Jonas Valanciunas - These two were extremely impressive on this side of the ball. Not only did the stats show it, but by watching the game, it was obvious. Valanciunas did a wonderful job of changing shots, and making it hard for the Wizards big men to get good offensive possessions. Jonsd will only continue to get better with his post defense, as long as he is playing fundamentally. Lowry at the point of attack, really made it easier on the bigs tonight. Lowry was able to keep both A.J Price, and Shelvin Mack in front of him, and the he seemed to change the dynamics of the defense of the team. It seems different knowing that the penetration won't always be there every night.
                  Offensive Standout:

Demar Derozan - I know JV, Lowry, and Fields should probably be here, but I was very impressed by a number of things. He made up his mind tonight, that he is ONLY attacking the rim, and that's the type of mindset he should have, whether he got stronger or not. But, his ability in the post really popped things out at me. His post offense has improved, his finishing has improved, his strength no doubt has improved, and looks like a different player. If he can continue to attack and get to the free throw line, him averaging an EFFICIENT, 16 points per game and 5-6 free throw attempts a night, not to mention to continue getting in the passing lanes. He'll earn a nice contract. I'm a huge Derozan homer by the way, so don't be surprised if I'm trying to defend him.
                  Toronto Positives: Well, Kyle Lowry seems to have filled in his role very well. Not to mention, he has been up to par with the expectations of being a big time player for us. Defensively, offensively, he has met my expectations. No doubt come regular season he will start impressing us more and more. I was very pleased as well with the point guard depth, statistically wise, the guards were great. Lowry - 14 points, 6 assists, 3 steals, 3 rebounds. Calderon - 12 points, 8 assists, 2 steals. Lucas III - 5 points, 3 assists, 3 rebounds. Not to shabby! Derozan, JV, and Fields with very solid games. This team's depth and talent was a sure see in tonight's game.

Toronto Negatives: The game was sloppy at times, and that again comes to offensive execution. Last season, when the team wasn't executing or getting great shots at the hoop, it translated into "c'mon go in" type attitudes. Where, at some point, defensively, they were just gonna get tired. That was a factor in the early stage of the game. Only pre-season, and a team being ran by a brand new point guard, who has not played a game with yet, did pretty darn well in acclimating to him.
                  The huge negative, or in this case, disappointment, was Andrea Bargnani. Goodness gracious he was just invisible tonight, he got 6 rebounds (Solid for him actually), and scored 7 points on 2-7 shooting. Not exactly efficient numbers. The one thing that I notice more and more, is that the team is fading from trying to get him involved early, turning it into plays for Demar. Now, I want to make a point, it really looks like this team is good enough to win without Andrea, but, he will be important come regular season.
                  To add insult to injury, Andrea suffered a left calf contusion in the 3rd quarter, and did not return. Fortunately, he was only "kicked." Nothing related to last season.

Overall, solid win, offense still needs work, and continue to try and get Lowry, JV, Fields, and other new faces working/connecting with one another.

Comment

I thought the second unit looked really good in the first half. Jose's shot wasn't dropping but after getting down 10 they did a real nice job of locking down on d and finding guys with movement. Amir was drilling that 18 footer from the top of the key, Ed was making his presence felt and Jose was even setting screens! Also thought double A looked real good.
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Where's Leo's pet phrase "how many times have u blocked a jump shooter out on the perimeter?" lol, this team may actually make him work this year.
                      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Okay, but doesn't necessarily mean Demar can't get to the rim without Andrea on the floor. Talk about spacing all you want, no doubt it's important, but it's a mindset.. .
                        No. Actually it is a definable and measurable quantity.

If there is 8 feet separating two defenders, then DeMar can find his way through them to get to the basket. If there is 4 feet separating two defenders, he can't. We saw this last year over and over when he would get stripped, or get called for an offensive foul. Having a different mindset doesn't give you the power to somehow miraculously slip pass a big body.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          No. Actually it is a definable and measurable quantity.

If there is 8 feet separating two defenders, then DeMar can find his way through them to get to the basket. If there is 4 feet separating two defenders, he can't. We saw this last year over and over when he would get stripped, or get called for an offensive foul. Having a different mindset doesn't give you the power to somehow miraculously slip pass a big body.
                          Totally agree; but we don't want Bargnani to (just) be a spacing device.

Comment

Adriana Galimberti: Lots of traffic outside the Raptors locker room tonight: Anthony Parker, agent Warren LeGarie & Bon Jovi leaving the LR with Bryan Colangelo Twitter @Gal_Adri

Amir Johnson: HA! @bonjovi loves the raptors #bigup Twitter @IamAmirJohnson

Comment

Okay, but doesn't necessarily mean Demar can't get to the rim without Andrea on the floor. Talk about spacing all you want, no doubt it's important, but it's a mindset. Spacing just makes it easier for him. With Andrea being so ineffective offensively so far, I don't see a reason why Demar can't be successful without Andrea. Now that the team is talented, and overall more shooters, Andrea doesn't need to be on the floor for Demar to post up.
                              I think a lot of Barg's quietness during the preseason is just the coach trying to get other guys established, because he already knows what bargniani can do. They really aren't running plays for him at all. Come season time, I'm sure the'll go back to using him effectively

Comment

Not sure if this has been discussed here, but why wasn't Terrence Ross playing yesterday?

Comment

Working...
                                X