Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Barnesgate" Ends - Signs 2-Year Deal With Lakers (Update: Pg. 23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marz wrote: View Post
    This is the part I don't get. The Raptors offered Kleiza, a RFA, an $18M contract. 7 days later the Denver Nuggets don't match. So therefore, Kleiza is a Raptor. How can we then tell Denver that we want to sign-and-trade for Kleiza? He's no longer theirs! Unless there's some way to tear up the contract, and redo the whole process... but if that's the case, why didn't Dallas or Chicago do the same thing with Gortat or Reddick? Did Orlando absolutely hate everything on their rosters that they refused to SNT?
    I don't know if Kleiza is a Raptors player yet

To my knowledge

1. He hasn't passed the physical yet?
    2. The league has not approved the contract which I believe that they don't do until after a player passes the physical?.

Whether the Raptors can rescind the offer at this point I don't know.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      I don't understand how anyone can "print" these stories to begin with.
      The media cycle is 24/7 and the pressure to beat your competition with a story is immense. It always has been but now the window for getting the story out before your competition is very small.

So even sites like ESPN and Yahoo will print a story as actually happening if their so called experts say so. Since the so called experts are only human and some are not even experts mistakes can and do happen.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• Is this a goof?

Comment

This is the part I don't get. The Raptors offered Kleiza, a RFA, an $18M contract. 7 days later the Denver Nuggets don't match. So therefore, Kleiza is a Raptor. How can we then tell Denver that we want to sign-and-trade for Kleiza? He's no longer theirs! Unless there's some way to tear up the contract, and redo the whole process... but if that's the case, why didn't Dallas or Chicago do the same thing with Gortat or Reddick? Did Orlando absolutely hate everything on their rosters that they refused to SNT?
          the way i understand it, the raptors & kleiza can mutally agree to rescind the signing, as long as it isn't officially official (and i have no idea where they are in that process - d.smith is saying that it was 'official' as of saturday, but he also said the barnes deal was pretty much 'done' - without, as tim mentions, taking 10 GD seconds & reviewing the CBA. but hey, he's only the president of the prof. basketball writers of america, why is it his responsibility to question what he's told, he's not a journalist or anyth...oh, wait.)...ok, end rant.

so, if the raps & kleiza rescind the signing, denver retains his rights - doesn't really mean anything for them. the raps can then try to work a S&T, offering a future (2nd rd) pick & a portion of the TPE from the bosh S&T to denver in exchange for kleiza. if this happens, the raps would retain the MLE and be free to waste it on a psycho like barnes, who'd be playing for his 8th team in 9 seasons. YAY! y'know, when a talented, gritty, defensive-oriented athletic player hops from team to team with the frequency of a cheap AM radio (nod to classic SNL), there's A FUCKING REASON. it's because he's CRAZY. but hey, let's go get him, he'll do a fantastic job of helping the raps compete JUST ENOUGH to fool the retards who line MLSE's pockets into thinking the raps have a chance to squeak into the playoffs. ah, the treadmill, such a fun ride to nowheresville.
          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            The media cycle is 24/7 and the pressure to beat your competition with a story is immense. It always has been but now the window for getting the story out before your competition is very small.

So even sites like ESPN and Yahoo will print a story as actually happening if their so called experts say so. Since the so called experts are only human and some are not even experts mistakes can and do happen.
            This sort of thing happens too frequently though. If a simple fan figured it out in about two seconds (who's not even a big fan of the Magic), then why didn't anyone catch it? Of course, why didn't anyone catch this before millions of dollars were spent manufacturing and marketing it...
            http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...927329,00.html
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

This sort of thing happens too frequently though. If a simple fan figured it out in about two seconds (who's not even a big fan of the Magic), then why didn't anyone catch it? Of course, why didn't anyone catch this before millions of dollars were spent manufacturing and marketing it...
              http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...927329,00.html
              Because it generates hits. Who cares if the story falls flat? Credibility is no longer a premium in this industry. So long as you're "close enough", you're fine.

Comment

Because it generates hits. Who cares if the story falls flat? Credibility is no longer a premium in this industry. So long as you're "close enough", you're fine.
                +1

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                  the way i understand it, the raptors & kleiza can mutally agree to rescind the signing, as long as it isn't officially official (and i have no idea where they are in that process - d.smith is saying that it was 'official' as of saturday, but he also said the barnes deal was pretty much 'done' - without, as tim mentions, taking 10 GD seconds & reviewing the CBA. but hey, he's only the president of the prof. basketball writers of america, why is it his responsibility to question what he's told, he's not a journalist or anyth...oh, wait.)...ok, end rant.

so, if the raps & kleiza rescind the signing, denver retains his rights - doesn't really mean anything for them. the raps can then try to work a S&T, offering a future (2nd rd) pick & a portion of the TPE from the bosh S&T to denver in exchange for kleiza. if this happens, the raps would retain the MLE and be free to waste it on a psycho like barnes, who'd be playing for his 8th team in 9 seasons. YAY! y'know, when a talented, gritty, defensive-oriented athletic player hops from team to team with the frequency of a cheap AM radio (nod to classic SNL), there's A FUCKING REASON. it's because he's CRAZY. but hey, let's go get him, he'll do a fantastic job of helping the raps compete JUST ENOUGH to fool the retards who line MLSE's pockets into thinking the raps have a chance to squeak into the playoffs. ah, the treadmill, such a fun ride to nowheresville.
                  You kidding me? How do you expect the Young Gunz to get any better when there's nobody pushing them within the team? Barnes is for surely a nut job, but this is exactly the kind of guy we need to instill some attitude into this team. Its sounds to me like your completely writing the capability of these young guys off, but they could very well be the biggest surprise in the league. If BC pulls off a Barnes signing, wow! But ya your right lets get robbed of our dignity, pile up a terrible season, maybe get a good draft pick, and show our young guys that we don't care about winning. Cool.

Comment

• Nick wrote: View Post
                    You kidding me? How do you expect the Young Gunz to get any better when there's nobody pushing them within the team? Barnes is for surely a nut job, but this is exactly the kind of guy we need to instill some attitude into this team. Its sounds to me like your completely writing the capability of these young guys off, but they could very well be the biggest surprise in the league. If BC pulls off a Barnes signing, wow! But ya your right lets get robbed of our dignity, pile up a terrible season, maybe get a good draft pick, and show our young guys that we don't care about winning. Cool.
                    i wasn't talking about you specifically, but i guess if the shoe fits...

Comment

• Nick wrote: View Post
                      You kidding me? How do you expect the Young Gunz to get any better when there's nobody pushing them within the team?
                      i dunno, i guess i figured they'd push each other. if they're relying on a guy who'd be a) playing for his 8th team in 9 years, & b) is insane to provide adequate motivation, they've got bigger issues.

Nick wrote: View Post
                      Barnes is for surely a nut job, but this is exactly the kind of guy we need to instill some attitude into this team.
                      i'm not totally averse to the IDEA of a matt barnes - i like what he brings to the court - but there are simply too many question marks around him that it doesn't make sense for this team RIGHT NOW. barnes is a cog in the wheel of a contending team, not a rudder for a rebuilding one.

Its sounds to me like your completely writing the capability of these young guys off, but they could very well be the biggest surprise in the league.
                      yes, they could. but that would/could be the case with or without barnes.

If BC pulls off a Barnes signing, wow!
                      you're right - WOW! how exciting, all these moves, all these new players. it sure ain't boring. WOW! i wonder if laker fans are complaining about how boring a summer kupchak has provided them?

But ya your right lets get robbed of our dignity,
                      uh, that ship sailed a while ago.

pile up a terrible season,
                      we're well on the way...

maybe get a good draft pick,
                      that BC trades away...

and show our young guys that we don't care about winning. Cool.
                      so, the way to show they 'young guys' that they care about winning is to remain a perpetual treadmill team? you think they aren't aware of how teams that intend to truly compete are built? you think they don't look around the league & see that the teams that compete/contend year-in & year-out are the ones that practice stability & patience?

look, i really don't have much issue with obtaining barnes for what amounts to nothing. i just don't think anyone should believe that he's some kind of tonic that will make them an actual competetive team. if he does come to TO, it's for the $$, and it's likely to be on a short-term deal, so he's going to be looking to maximize his opportunity to earn one last decent contract. on a contending team, that's not a big deal, but on a rebuilding one, it is.
                      Last edited by yertu damkule; Tue Jul 20, 2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

[Sigh] Can you imagine if All The President's Men took place today? It would take about five minutes.

"You've got an unnamed source telling you the President's involved in the Watergate break-in? Let's print it!"
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

[Sigh] Can you imagine if All The President's Men took place today? It would take about five minutes.

"You've got an unnamed source telling you the President's involved in the Watergate break-in? Let's print it!"
                          Actually, the value of printing that in an era like today where everyone can do some pretty crazy research, is that there would probably be 500 investigators who'd want to be the first to bust out with legitimate info. So, rather than leaving the investigation in the hands of two reporters, by cracking the story before there's really a story, it gets a significantly larger number of people involved in the investigation.

To continue, i can see two immediate outcomes of this. The first is that more people would become more knowledgeable about the Watergate break in. The second is that there would not be as much credibility in whatever "final reports" were produced. This may have lead to a reality where Nixon might not have been compelled to step down.

One final thought: the idea that Nixon stepped down kinda allowed for "closure". Nixon stepping down, scandal over, everyone goes back to their normal lives. If he didn't step down, outrage continues, perhaps the future course of American politics changes and Jimmy Carter rides two consecutive terms riding a wave of anti-Nixon and anti-republican senitment. Reagan doesn't get his two terms, Bush Sr. loses his eight years of vice-presidency, and in general, world peace is declared.

Either that or the Soviets capitalize on American disenchantment and we'd all be behind the Iron Curtain at the moment.

Comment

If Afghanistan and Iraq taught me anything in this day in age it's that really bad stories tend to get suppressed until there's no hiding it or somebody leaks information.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              If Afghanistan and Iraq taught me anything in this day in age it's that really bad stories tend to get suppressed until there's no hiding it or somebody leaks information.
                              They get suppressed, but only in the mainstream. The biggest value of modern social media (coming from someone with no facebook page, no twitter account, and, truth be told, no cell phone) is its ability to get people ahead of the game, where, by the time when it comes that "there's no hiding it or someone leaks information," any admission comes way too late. Ie, the admission is not a revelation (like Nixon's bomb when he basically admitted he was, despite his cries to contrary, a crook), but a pressure release vale of sorts.

Social media will eventually bring us to a point when its no longer adequate for the powers to simply admit. they must begin processes of action or accountability.

Go Raps!

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                                i dunno, i guess i figured they'd push each other. if they're relying on a guy who'd be a) playing for his 8th team in 9 years, & b) is insane to provide adequate motivation, they've got bigger issues.

i'm not totally averse to the IDEA of a matt barnes - i like what he brings to the court - but there are simply too many question marks around him that it doesn't make sense for this team RIGHT NOW. barnes is a cog in the wheel of a contending team, not a rudder for a rebuilding one.

yes, they could. but that would/could be the case with or without barnes.

you're right - WOW! how exciting, all these moves, all these new players. it sure ain't boring. WOW! i wonder if laker fans are complaining about how boring a summer kupchak has provided them?

uh, that ship sailed a while ago.

we're well on the way...

that BC trades away...

so, the way to show they 'young guys' that they care about winning is to remain a perpetual treadmill team? you think they aren't aware of how teams that intend to truly compete are built? you think they don't look around the league & see that the teams that compete/contend year-in & year-out are the ones that practice stability & patience?

look, i really don't have much issue with obtaining barnes for what amounts to nothing. i just don't think anyone should believe that he's some kind of tonic that will make them an actual competetive team. if he does come to TO, it's for the $$, and it's likely to be on a short-term deal, so he's going to be looking to maximize his opportunity to earn one last decent contract. on a contending team, that's not a big deal, but on a rebuilding one, it is.
                                Nice bball ineptitude man, you must work for the Raps PR department.

Comment

Working...
                                X