The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    Yeah and as WJF and WMCJ just mentioned.. the BPA is usually the guys in the top 5-6 of the draft, not in the 15-20 range typically. That's usually when teams draft based on need or for role players that can help bolster the bench. You don't hear about players being picked 17 or 18 that shouldn't have because the guy at 19 was the BPA.
    Honestly the most obvious situation I remember where a team failed to take BPA was still relative to needs....

Joey Graham...drafted before Granger or Green....How did Babcock decide to do that? Granger was the best player, and Green had the highest ceiling. He tried the safe pick (Graham had no physical or character concerns) and it was totally useless....sigh.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Honestly the most obvious situation I remember where a team failed to take BPA was still relative to needs....

Joey Graham...drafted before Granger or Green....How did Babcock decide to do that? Granger was the best player, and Green had the highest ceiling. He tried the safe pick (Graham had no physical or character concerns) and it was totally useless....sigh.
      But Joey did have the most muscles out of the 3
      That's why Babcock picked him I guess?
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
        I think we still need depth at the SG. We have Ross and Demar playing SF/SG in the starting line up, and then we have Salmons (Team option next year), And Fields. Right now we have to play Vasquez with Lowry and Salmons just to fill the PG and wing spots. Fields has one year left. Plenty of room for Nik.
        I don't think we have to.

I think Casey chooses to.

Comment

The thing with granger was his knees.

That is why he slid and it eventually became a truth in his career.

Igoudala shunned for Arujo still infuriates me and I think is the biggest BPA mishap.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
            Draft 2012
            Selected guard Evan Fournier (20th overalll pick), forward Quincy Miller (38th overall pick) and center Izzet Turkyilmaz (50th overall pick).

I think somthing can be learned from the last draft Masai was involved in. We are likely picking at 20,37 and 59 so I think we might end up with a similar philosophy.

His only other pick was Faried at 20 in 2011 so for what it's worth I think he's a good enough talent evaluator. Possibly evolved as a gm since then since it's been almost 2 years since his last pick. Just pointing out this could perhaps be the template he could potentially follow again

BPAat 20
            Highest upside pick at 37
            And euro stasher at 59
            Well, the Fournier pick was not BPA. It was kind of a gamble pick with a guy who had decent upside, and because the Nuggets had a bit of a need in terms of developing a SG player. A lot of their wings were natural SFs (Chandler, Gallo, C. Brewer), and they hadn't yet made the Iguodala trade.

BPA would have been Sullinger. Sullinger was a top 10 (if not top 5) talent who fell because of physical concerns.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              The thing with granger was his knees.

That is why he slid and it eventually became a truth in his career.

Igoudala shunned for Arujo still infuriates me and I think is the biggest BPA mishap.
              Oh I know he had concerns...and I know because Green was a cocky high school kid there were concerns there too....but man...Joey Graham? I know he had a great last year at college, but he was nothing special at all until his senior year (as a 5-year senior).

*Funny how Babcock's big draft blunders seem to involve drafting college seniors who he thought would be safe picks. And both were 5-year seniors because they transferred from crappy little colleges.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Mar 31, 2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                But Joey did have the most muscles out of the 3
                That's why Babcock picked him I guess?
                Maybe Babcock thought he was participating in the NHL draft that year?

Comment

Or football, getting a tight end?

Comment

• Andrew Wiggins has decided to enter the NBA Draft.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      Andrew Wiggins has decided to enter the NBA Draft.
                      Well.. good luck to him.

Comment

• Of course you take the BPA. If you look at this roster, we need depth everywhere. We are discussing player we like and how they would fit with this team.

Comment

• With Graham, Babcock was envisioning another Ron Artest.

Zach Randolph did not take a long time to become a very good player. He was that in his 2nd yr and was becoming dominant in his 3rd pro season.

However the examples cited mostly show why BPA's drop and that is red flags. Knee injuries (Granger, O'Bannon) character/attitude issues (Randolph) , assertiveness/IQ issues (Drummond, and IIRC Rudy Gay). Some teams consider the red flags larger than others and there becomes a point where a player drops that just the ability or upside makes those red flags negligible.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Or football, getting a tight end?
                            Both Rafa and Joey would've made pretty decent tight ends
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I think we all agree, graham was a massive muscle freak. I personally still like him, but would have picked granger onstead
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Wasn't Joey a PF that the Raps tried to convert? Is drafting a player and then converting them to a new role a bad idea 9 out of 10 times?

Comment

Working...
                                X