• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Davis on D-League: 'I Never Want to Go Back Down There Again' - LOL

December 2 2010 Last updated at 05:45 PM ET
    Ed Davis on D-League: 'I Never Want to Go Back Down There Again'

By Scott Schroeder D-League Blogger | Follow on Twitter: @ScottSchroeder

Ed DavisThe Toronto Raptors assigned lottery pick Ed Davis to the Erie BayHawks for a rehab and conditioning stint last week, but after just two games, he had plenty of opinions about his time in the NBA Development League.

"One, I never want to go back down there again,'' Davis told The National Post of his time in Erie, Pa. "It's a struggle down there. It's rough. I had a five-, six-hour bus ride to Fort Wayne. It's really a struggle. You get in the mindset that you just really want to work hard and not go back down there.''
    "I was in Erie for two or three days, and I was at the Sheraton,'' Davis said of his living arrangements. "Then we practiced at the (Cleveland Cavaliers') facility and then we went to Fort Wayne and we were in sort of like a motel-type thing. It was a bad hotel, or a motel or whatever. It was a struggle in Fort Wayne. It was cold out there. There weren't many places we could eat. I'm just happy to be back here.''
    cont.

Contrast Johnson's opinion of his D-League expeience

When Amir Johnson learned the Detroit Pistons were sending him to South Dakota for a seasoning stint in the NBA Development League, he didn't know what to expect.

"I had never even heard of Sioux Falls," says the 19-year-old Los Angeles native, who first arrived Jan. 8 and is now in his second stay with the streaking Skyforce (27-16).

"It's a nice town, but it's the weather that kills me. When I first got here, it was like a blizzard, and that was something I had never seen before. It was a surprise to me."

Recent hints of spring have stirred another surprise regarding this former high school basketball phenom.

He doesn't want to leave.

The Pistons called early last week and gave him the option of returning to the NBA or staying in Sioux Falls for the rest of the D-League season - including a run at the title.

"I told them I wanted to stay," says the 2005 second-round draft pick, relaxing in a booth at a local pancake house. "In Detroit, I kind of got depressed not playing, because I'm a young guy and I want to show what I can do. I'm having a blast right here, and we've got a chance to finish with a champion
    cont
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 01:16 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Maybe Sioux Falls is much nicer than Fort Wayne?... What's the point if this thread again?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Maybe Sioux Falls is much nicer than Fort Wayne?... What's the point if this thread again?
      I think it's don't spend your vacation in Erie.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

OMG! I think the point is that Amir and Ed are like, totally different people. Like, totally.
        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Hey Buddah...props to you for keeping the forums active!! Not every thread is going to be a homerun but I notice you are diverse on subject matter (cough cough...except for Amir of course). No matter.

Comment

Ed Davis is already a better player then Amir Johnson's last 5 seasons (except this season). When Amir came to this league he was a very raw 18 year old rookie (the last player to leave highschool right to the NBA) who was even more raw then Alabi. It is no surprise that he prefered to play in the D-league where he got some playing time. Ed Davis by comparison is a 21 year old rookie who spend 2 years in college, was a high first round pick and has a very good knowledge of his game and what he needs to do in order to be successful in this league.

By season 2 or 3 Davis will already be a better player then Amir. His big obstacles thus far have been his jumpers away from the post and his free throws.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Okay I will spell it out.

Davis
              ----------
              1. Father played 10 seasons in the NBA
              2. Went to an elite college
              3. Was part of an elite NCAA basketball program for two years
              4. Was a lottery pick
              5. Showing a bit of an elitist attitude.

Rookies should keep their mouths shut if they can't say something postive

Johnson
              ------------
              1. Inner city kid
              2. No college
              3. Late second round pick
              4. Works hard never complains
              5. Has a very positive attitude
              6. Is appreciative sometimes in spades for what the NBA has given him

If Davis can't handle two games in the D-league without complaining how is he going to handle difficult times in the NBA? I wonder.

You can say what you want about Johnson but he is a hard working kid, who doesn't complain, knows his place and is grateful for whatever largesse is bestowed on him.

P.S. He also has a sense of humor that many enjoy. I think he learned a bit from Sheed.

Davis still has some growing up to do. I sense some Bosh attitude in Davis comments.

Just saying since you asked.
              Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 03:59 PM.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

i wouldnt want to live and work in cities smaller than barrie either. and im hardly "priveleged"

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                  i wouldnt want to live and work in cities smaller than barrie either. and im hardly "priveleged"
                  I would think that you are referring to Barrie in Canada.

Population wise Metro Erie PA is bigger than metro Barrie

The point though isn't whether you want to or not.

The points are

1. That when you are a rookie you keep your damn mouth shut to the media if you can't say something positive
                  2. If he complaining about one stinking week in Erie what is he going to say publicly when the Raptors don't give him what he wants?

This episode just raises a "red" or should I say "yellow" flag in my mind as far as Davis' attitude goes.

Maybe playing in Canada isn't good enough for him in his eyes for all the reasons rightly or wrongly that have been discussed on this forum previously on a number of occasions.

The difference between a winner and loser in sports is often more a matter of mental attitude than it is ability.

Like I posted earlier about Kobe. With all his NBA rings he spends whatever extra time in the gym to correct things like shooting mechanics, not just thinking it will work itself out because he has won 5 or whatever it is NBA titles.

Attitude is more important than just ability when it comes to winning at the highest levels.

Davis' public complaints about one stinking week in the D-League send up a "yellow flag" about his attitude.

Everyone else can choose to ignore it if they want.

Just saying.
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    I would think that you are referring to Barrie in Canada.

Population wise Metro Erie PA is bigger than metro Barrie
                    ya i didnt actually check.. i was just going on how much i dislike both of them

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                      ya i didnt actually check.. i was just going on how much i dislike both of them
                      Fine I am sure we all dislike a lot of things that we have to do.

Sometimes however you don't go complaining about it publicly

If your boss, significant other or anyone had you do something for one week you didn't like would you go complaining about it to the media like plastering it all over facebook or Youtube for the world to find out about?

Comment

Now what is Davis going to do if for some reason he has to rehab again over this or the next season?

Do you think he is gong to be very welcome back in the D-League and Erie?

He publicly insulted both of them.

Just plain stupid or else elitist or maybe even both

Comment

If Davis can't handle two games in the D-league without complaining how is he going to handle difficult times in the NBA? I wonder.
                          It wasn't just any two games -- he had his Thanksgiving "dinner" at an IHOP. It may well have been his first Thanksgiving away from home. I can see him not enjoying it.

It also sounds like things were OK in Erie, but not so much when they were on the road in Indiana -- sketchy accommodations and IHOP for Thanksgiving dinner.

Erie news link with some quotes from Bayhawks players and their coach.

"I respect what he said," said Mitchell, who is a rookie forward with the BayHawks. "He's not lying. We did not want to eat at IHOP for Thanksgiving."

"When he was eating IHOP, he was part of the team," the first-year Erie coach said. "He wasn't complaining about it then, but if you go back to the NBA and say, 'Hey, how would you compare your experience in the NBDL to your experience in the NBA,' clearly the NBA is better. He was being honest."

Davis sure doesn't want another taste of the D-League and Larranaga is glad to hear that.

"I told him before he left, 'I hope I never coach you again,' " Larranaga said. " 'Hope you learned enough from this short experience that you're able to become an NBA player.' "

Comment

If your boss, significant other or anyone had you do something for one week you didn't like would you go complaining about it to the media like plastering it all over facebook or Youtube for the world to find out about?
                            my facebook and twitter pages are pretty much my day to day journal of how epic my pooping is. so, ya. complaining about hating where i'd be forced to spend a week probably would happen.

Comment

I hear ya Buddha. I saw the Raps TV segment on Davis in the D league..he was in the hotel room saying "yo wat kinda tv diss? no flatscreen....yo...why is there a fridge on the dresser...like...come on".

Dude lived a life of privilege in an NBA family, obviously staying where "the common folk" stay didnt agree with his bourgeois tastes.

I will say however, that his on court presence is far more tenacious and gritty so far than his whiny bitchy off the court media presence.

I'm interested in Solo's take on D League. Dude comes from a seriously harsh background, and is at least trying hard in the gutters right now. He probably appreciates the opportunity alot more than Big Ed.

Comment

Working...
                              X