The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    Tsk, tsk...now thats not a particularly nice beginning!

JJ has been around the league for awhile and has had his way with many a player. Actually Landry F. handled him fairly well and Ross too at times. Anderson from what I hear is not too swift on the defensive end so I am not too sure about the proposition and giving up on AJ to move up to get him especially if Lowry re-signs and Greivis & Nando as well.
    I think we spent so many years laughing at Joe Johnson's ridiculous contract that we forgot that he's actually very good. I was reminded of that fact during the series.. it was just like, wow I totally forgot about this guy.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
      That was his second post on RR. "you're stupid". Very memorable.
      In fairness to him, your first reply to him was to tell him to "stick with browsing", which is just as insulting as calling you stupid.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
        I think we spent so many years laughing at Joe Johnson's ridiculous contract that we forgot that he's actually very good. I was reminded of that fact during the series.. it was just like, wow I totally forgot about this guy.
        Oddly enough Joe was probably one of the better value contracts on the Nets. He's the only one who actually had a good year, and he clearly carrier them all series against us. I follow the Hawks too so I've been a Joe Johnson fan for a while. He has the perfect old man game that will let him play at a high level late into his career.

Comment

• I'm not fond of Anderson, but that's just my opinion.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• that kid, from the Colorado highlites just looks a little slow to me, but, he also seems like he has a good basketball mind. Scary pick really as a guy like that could be a bust, or he could be Paul Pierce.

Comment

• Let's refrain from making moves to beat one team. It's how we ended up with Jason Kapono (to beat New Jersey's double on Bosh), and Jermaine O'Neal (to help handle Dwight Howard).

We don't need a player to specifically stop Joe Johnson. We just need to continue to improve the overall talent on the roster.

Comment

• truuth2 wrote: View Post

my bad, maybe he isn't that good.
                I think he looks good....a couple years of proper workouts, a stronger core, stronger legs, this kid will be a diamond in the rough.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                  In fairness to him, your first reply to him was to tell him to "stick with browsing", which is just as insulting as calling you stupid.
                  Sure, it's fair. All is fair in these forums.. just terrible timing for him. Okay, I'm stupid for thinking the rationale behind trading the team's best defender for an oft-chance of drafting a rookie is bad. What makes it good?

Even if the kid is good, it doesn't make it worthwhile to trade Amir Johnson on the reaction of hoping we can stop Joe Johnson next time. This type of deal would only make sense if Brooklyn and Toronto were the only two teams in the NBA, and the reality is Joe Johnson probably can't be guarded every night anyway.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

• well with that way of thinking....it is stupid, JJ would eat this kid for dinne rnext year hhahaha

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                      that kid, from the Colorado highlites just looks a little slow to me, but, he also seems like he has a good basketball mind. Scary pick really as a guy like that could be a bust, or he could be Paul Pierce.
                      Yup, pretty much. Could be a total bust, or could be a real gem. Though I don't know if Pierce is the right comparison (other than they both don't play fast). If he's available at 20, at least he has to be a real possibility.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Let's refrain from making moves to beat one team. It's how we ended up with Jason Kapono (to beat New Jersey's double on Bosh), and Jermaine O'Neal (to help handle Dwight Howard).

We don't need a player to specifically stop Joe Johnson. We just need to continue to improve the overall talent on the roster.
                        I don't know how the line of thinking came to Anderson can stop Johnson...That's foolish. Anderson's weak point is most likely going to be his D. He's still an intriguing prospect though, and having a ball-mover playing at a non-PG position can present interesting options for the rotation.

Comment

• I would not trust handing any key defensive assignments to Anderson, from what I've seen. UCLA was usually hiding him on the least-skilled post-player. I'm not totally adverse to drafting Anderson (although admittedly he's low on my list, even at 20), but bringing him in with the expectation of solving any of our defensive problems at SF is a bit off the mark.

Jerami Grant is probably the best guy in the draft for filling that need. Similar measurements to Anderson, but way more athletic, much better foot-speed and lateral quickness, shot-blocking instincts, better defender on both perimeter and post. Of course, he offers little in the way of offence at this point. But if you're looking for an off-the-bench defensive stopper / hustle guy, I don't think there's a better choice.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                            I would not trust handing any key defensive assignments to Anderson, from what I've seen. UCLA was usually hiding him on the least-skilled post-player. I'm not totally adverse to drafting Anderson (although admittedly he's low on my list, even at 20), but bringing him in with the expectation of solving any of our defensive problems at SF is a bit off the mark.

Jerami Grant is probably the best guy in the draft for filling that need. Similar measurements to Anderson, but way more athletic, much better foot-speed and lateral quickness, shot-blocking instincts, better defender on both perimeter and post. Of course, he offers little in the way of offence at this point. But if you're looking for an off-the-bench defensive stopper / hustle guy, I don't think there's a better choice.
                            I feel ya on the defence, but wonder if his soft as hell body is an issue thus far, on offence, this guy has some serious smarts, and some SERIOUS vision.

I kinda like watching his highlites.

again, REALLY tough call on guys like this. he will kill a coach/gm, or make one look like a genius.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Let's refrain from making moves to beat one team. It's how we ended up with Jason Kapono (to beat New Jersey's double on Bosh), and Jermaine O'Neal (to help handle Dwight Howard).

totally agree. theres too many reactionary posts about how we need so and so to beat the nets. unless i'm mistaken, theres 29 other teams to worry about.

Comment

• Oh yeah, I love the passing highlights. In some ways it reminds me a little of the situation around Kendal Marshall: awesome passing and feel for the game, good size for his position, but questionable athletic ability, defense, and jump shot. And for that first year there was a question about whether Marshall was going to be a bust, but now is starting to look pretty solid. Granted, Anderson is a far less conventional player than Marshall, but just some of the same strengths and weaknesses, and it wouldn't surprise me for them to have a similar career trajectory.

Comment

Working...
                                X