Bill Simmons Is Consistently...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Simmons Is Consistently...

Out of touch when it comes to the Raptors. I think this is a stupid idea by Bill Simmons but it should make for good conversation:

Trade Steve Nash to Toronto.

Admittedly, Nash doesn't have much market value right now. He's 39 years old, his body is breaking down in a variety of ways, he seemed a step and a half slow last season, he's a turnstile defensively, and he's making $9.3 million in 2014 and $9.7 million in 2015. Other than that, he's pretty enticing. But you know where he's still a hero? CANADA! What would be better than Nash finishing his career on Canada's only NBA team?

Now here's where you say, Wait a second, the Raptors just hired Masai Ujiri from Denver. That dude is a shrewd mf'er — he'd never trade for Nash. Au contraire! Thanks to Rudy Gay's onerously onerous deal, DeMar DeRozan's extension, the cap-clogging quartet of Landry Fields, Marcus Camby, Tyler Hansbrough and Steve Novak (nearly $20 million combined in 2014-15) and a few other commitments, Toronto can't become a free-agent player until the summer of 2015 ... right as Nash's deal is expiring. So why not bring him aboard as their feel-good Canadian basketball ambassador?

Do you realize trading for Nash would immediately become one of Canada's five greatest NBA moments ever? Since Toronto and Vancouver were added as expansion teams in 1995, here's that list right now:

Highlight No. 1: Vince Carter wins the 2000 Slam Dunk Contest.

Highlight No. 2: The Raptors come within a missed Vince jumper of advancing to the 2001 Eastern finals.

Highlight No. 3: Kobe scores 81 points against the Raptors. Hey, at least they were part of history.

Highlight No. 4: The Grizzlies move to Memphis (so Vancouver doesn't have to watch them anymore).

Highlight No. 5: Actually, we're done. You want to know what the greatest running Canadian NBA moment is? Every time Vince comes back to Toronto, they boo him lustily for four quarters. It's the only real Canadian basketball tradition they have. I'd say they need to rent a basketball ambassador. Call me crazy.

Anyway, here's my offer: Nash for Linas Kleiza's expiring contract and Aaron Gray's expiring contract. I can't do better than that. I'M GIVING YOU CANADIAN BASKETBALL HERO STEVE NASH FOR TWO SCRUBS!!!!!! Take him! I'm putting a ribbon on him, including a Labatt hat and everything! Just call this trade into the commissioner's office already.

(By the way, I just downgraded the Lakers' 2014-15 salary cap to $0.00.)
    Source: Grantland

To bring in Nash now would serve no purpose. If the team wanted him to be "an ambassador" they could offer him a job when he retires? He looked really old this year... I don't want him to come and die for the Raptors. I thought he would go out like Stockton but it's probably gonna get ugly this year unfortunately.

What an idiot. Does he not realize that we tried this before and it failed miserably? The #1 priority for Nash, at his age, should still be to win a championship... that's why he chose LA and not us. Why would it be any different this time around?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I would do Nash for Kleiza and Gray...no cap room anyway, and no flexibility until 2014/2015
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I thought he was going to suggest trading DeRozan or some valuable player for Nash, and I was ready to go off on him. Kleiza and Gray... that actually wouldn't be horrible, especially if the contract of Camby and/or Richardson could be unloaded in another trade(s). In that case, the money would be almost even (Q-Rich dumped) or even in the Raptors favor (Camby/both dumped). Nash would be an expiring contract next offseason/season too...

I doubt it's a very realistic idea, but it's definitely thought provoking.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          What an idiot. Does he not realize that we tried this before and it failed miserably? The #1 priority for Nash, at his age, should still be to win a championship... that's why he chose LA and not us. Why would it be any different this time around?
          He has no say in a trade.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            I would do Nash for Kleiza and Gray...no cap room anyway, and no flexibility until 2014/2015
            He's not going to be anything like the Nash you want to remember. The wheels are going to fall off this year.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              He has no say in a trade.
              Point taken... regardless, I see this turning into a Jamaal Magloire type situation.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                Not like he's gonna win one with the Lakers...

Comment

So we get a back up veteran point guard (position of need for us) for two expiring deals... maybe... Could we send Camby instead of Gray?
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

As a Backup? Why not? Julyan Stone would be our insurance, and Ive gone through seasons of John Lucas/Telfair Ukic/Solomon and the such, I can handle Stone picking up the injured minutes.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Well T Ross won dunk contest too..

Comment

I'm for it...but, I don't want Nash here while we're shit. Just let him stay in LA
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Never liked him. He bases everything on numbers. Instead of the impact a player has on the court, by just being on the court. I hope Rudy has a breakout year so we can shut him up!
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I thought the OP was going to complete the opening sentence with...well let me:

Bill Simmons is a twat.

I hope you all realize he is tweaking our noses. He's been known to do that ...frequently. It's the off season so he is trying humour in the piece and get some nasty notes in reply on his site.

Hey Bill, go tweet Doc Rivers some more or were you afraid of getting sued for some things you said recently about his business in Boston?

ps...he claims to be also a Laker brown noser now that he lives there.

Comment

Bill Simmons writes for the laughs. Americans will laugh at the article. Have you ever seen him on the show (I can't remember what it's called), he never has anything useful or new to add to any conversation.

He is however right about the highlights.. I can't think of many more than the ones he has listed.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Working...
                              X