1 - 7. Is it time for a change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 - 7. Is it time for a change?

What do you guys think? with 7 losses in 8 games, 6 straight, is there a change brewing in the horizon?

Should......

Jose start? Jack play 4th quarters? Weems start? Amir start?

I dont know if now is the time to push the panic button and tinker the depth chart, if not, how many more games (losses) do you think we need before changes take effect?

Going into the season many basketball minds better than I on this forum were predicting around a 20 win team. I grant it is half that prediction (ratio wise). It also matters what change. I certainly dont want change for its own sake. Realistically the quickest which can be made and one without requiring another partner is the coach. But what is that going to buy you. Personally I had already conceded this season to be one for assessing what we have in the young players on the roster, taking the expiring contracts, possibily the tpe and the next draft and also making a coaching change before next season begins. No worthwhile coach is likely to take on a midseason reclamation project. For now I am satisfied that the team plays hard and look forward to occasional suprises (hopefully they occur as the season unfolds and the players grow)...like a shot for a win...or Bargnani leading the game in rebounds

Comment

We have a bunch of players who are more or less on the same level. There's not much Triano can do in terms of tweaking starting lineups that will have a great impact, although taking Evans out and playing Johnson could be a good option. Switching the playing time towards Wright over Kleiza could also improve the defense.

These aren't earth shattering changes and aren't going to make the difference between the lottery and the playoffs. The Raptors need to get an understanding of what they have in Davis, DeRozan and Weems. Whatever lineup sheds light on those questions by the end of the season is what I'm for.

While we're on the subject of changes, as much as I think Triano screws up here and there and on the last possession of lose games, even he shouldn't be fired. He's got these guys playing hard and that's the #1 thing you have to judge a coach on. The Raptors aren't accomplishing anything this season, it's best to let things play out and evaluate what we have on our hands. Whoever the GM is next summer will have some options in the market with the TPE. By that time the Raptors should hope one of their younger players shows something special, if that doesn't happen then we're looking towards the draft for hope.

Comment

Was anyone really realistically expecting anything different? As Arsenlist sad, there's really not that much difference in talent. Changing the starting lineup really is going to have a negligible effect.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

With regards to Triano, the best approach would be to let him grow and develop players. Just like NBA players, NBA coaches have strengths and weaknesses, and Triano's strengths (in theory anyway) match what the Raptors are trying to do: develop younger players. He's not the best with the playbook and with in-game management but as said above, he gets the players attacking, playing hard, and they play with confidence if not intelligence. To really judge an NBA coach you need to give them a decent roster and some continuity, Triano has only had glimpses of each. Let Triano finish out the year, evaluate him then and see what the draft brings.

It's time to start seeing what you can get for Reggie Evans, Mr. Colangelo. Or just about anyone else on the roster.

As for changing up the lineups, why bother? Evans is in the starting lineup as Ed Davis' placeholder, and keeping the Calderon+Johnson combo off the bench increases their value. If anything I'd force feed DeRozan more, he's not going to improve without more shots and he needs to get comfortable with the ball in his hands trying to make plays. The more time the kids get and the more consistent their roles, the better.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Was anyone really realistically expecting anything different? As Arsenlist sad, there's really not that much difference in talent. Changing the starting lineup really is going to have a negligible effect.
            You be amazed how some fans here thought this was a 35-40 win team and a possible Play off team !!!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              You kiddin me, the Raps have lost allot of tight games. Its a completely new team, and its going to take a while for them to gel. Every game I watch they look better and more assertive. It looks bad that they are last right now granted, but they are better then their record shows. I can hardly wait till the Raps break out of this slump, gain form, and go on a tear. You haters can go beat off on each others faces when this happens.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                You kiddin me, the Raps have lost allot of tight games. Its a completely new team, and its going to take a while for them to gel. Every game I watch they look better and more assertive. It looks bad that they are last right now granted, but they are better then their record shows. I can hardly wait till the Raps break out of this slump, gain form, and go on a tear. You haters can go beat off on each others faces when this happens.
                Too much Kool-aid???

Comment

This years Raptors is better than last years. I don't mean talent, I don't mean wins. I mean it's a funner team, it's actually interesting to watch, players have been playing with a lot more energy and heart then ever, most of our games were pretty close. Even the blowouts had some great Raptor moments like the epic comeback against Utah... I give it some time, but even if we have a bad season, I'll be happy because I see effort. And if it's enjoyable to watch although some losses just break your heart, so enjoyable season + high draft pick doesn't seem so bad. But I still see the Raptors winning 35 this year.

Comment

Colangelo needs to use that TPE to bring a actual C so Bargs can play PF or Amir needs to start...

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                      Colangelo needs to use that TPE to bring a actual C so Bargs can play PF or Amir needs to start...
                      Amir Johnson needs to start.

Comment

If I had thought during the off-season that Evans was going to start then I would have predicted a high lottery pick for the Raptors. I don't think too many fans thought that at that time.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                          Jose start? Jack play 4th quarters? Weems start? Amir start?
                          personally, i think all of those are solid suggestions.

Comment

Weems, Amir, and Jose all need to start.

If you mean big changes, that will start on Draft Day 2011.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                              Haters? Are we calling people names, now? Changing the starting lineup is going to have very little affect on the outcome of games. I like many of the young players on this team, but it clearly lacks the talent that other teams have.

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                              You be amazed how some fans here thought this was a 35-40 win team and a possible Play off team !!!
                              I saw some of those predictions. I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade at the time, but I wanted to know what they were drinking.

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                              No quick fixes, please. Besides, what actual center would the Raptors be able to get with their TPE that would really make a difference and wouldn't hurt the team in the long run by burdening them with a big salary? New Orleans certainly has stopped looking at trading Okafor now that they're undefeated, and I don't know of any others that a teams are looking to get rid of that the Raptors would want.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X