Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Is LeBron James THE Greatest Athlete Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Or you know, when a guy is already making $_____ (I don't even want to guess what LeBron is making in a year these days when you add endorsements) like LeBron is, there is pretty much no incentive to play a second sport.

Something to keep in mind...athletes made much less money on endorsements until the 90s. Branding is not nearly the same as it was when guys like Deion and Bo played multiple sports, and those guys were 2 very popular athletes. Even just making a second pro sports paycheck would probably have been hugely significant for them. Now? The 2nd paycheck would be basically meaningless to LeBron, and the risk of doing damage, either to his body or his image, and the impact that could have on his brand, is much too great to bother, I think.
    ya that post was just meant as a joke. realistically i agree with you, which brings me to my second (more serious) point

in today's day and age, the priority of an "athlete" has shifted from competition to compensation.

do players care more about winning championships, or about the impact a championship would have on their brand?

Comment

To say that lebron can do what Vincent "Bo" Jackson did if he gave effort is a wishy washy statement.

The fact that Bo played football as a "hobby" and was great at it with out having to work out to keep in shape speaks volumes.

Comment

Theguywhoneverlies wrote: View Post
        To say that lebron can do what Vincent "Bo" Jackson did if he gave effort is a wishy washy statement.

The fact that Bo played football as a "hobby" and was great at it with out having to work out to keep in shape speaks volumes.
        But LeBron was being scouted heavily by the NFL before he officially said he was going to play basketball. To say he can't do what Bo did is also kind of a wishy washy statement.

*also...wtf? Bo didn't work out to keep in shape? Is that why his careers were sidetracked by hip injuries? And I would argue that baseball was his hobby, considering he was a far more dominant football player until his hip injury.
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Mar 22, 2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X