Wolstat: Barbosa wants to stay long term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
    Although I do agree Bayless has problems finishing around the rim, I dont think that is a prerequisite for being a spark plug/6th man off the bench. He is very streaky just like Barbosa and I think he would actually be fine coming off the bench as a 6th man. Although all NBA players, especially younger players, strive to be a starter, Bayless seems to have accepted his role off the bench. He knows he cant complain about starting if he cant get onto the floor. For now he is still in a position where he needs to prove himself. If that means coming off the bench for a couple of years to prove yourself, most NBA players would take that and not complain.

For what it's worth I think within the next 1-2 years we will draft/sign/trade for Derozan's replacement and he will eventually be moved to the bench. Nothing against Derozan, he has shown some flashes over the last few games. On a contending team, which we all hope the Raps are in 2-3 years, I dont see him being more than a 6th or 7th guy, which is still a great role. For now i'm content with him occupying the 2 spot until we find a better alternative
    one thing barbosa brings tht bayless doesnt is vet. leadership.. someone has to be around to provide that. if barbosa can keep his head up a lil more, see whats around him & make a pass or two. hed fit perfectly going forward,only on a good contract though. i agree with most of what u said about bayless, but i think hes only ok with comming of the bench cause he thinks Jose's days are numbered so hell be starting soon enough.. i dont see him being ok with being 6th man.. i believe he thinks hes good enough to start, if not now then very soon... & i just dont see him ever being starter quality.

i also agree with derozan not being good enough to start on playoff team too.. i hope im wrong on that though

besides BC has made it known that barbosa is one of his favorite players so if the money isnt too high i dont see BC letting him walk..

Comment

3 years and $9M would be good for me.

Include some incentives to get it to $12M over 3 years and I think that is very fair.

Comment

Personally I think he is just saying it so he won't get traded. Most players don't want to move somewhere where they have no choice. He was close to opting out of his contract last year to go back to Brazil to play. I think he's really not that interested in staying here. He rather just wait till the offseason.

Ryan Wolstat: Leandro Barbosa walked in to the ACC. I asked him if his Brazilian buddy Nene was signing with Toronto. "No man, it's too cold."

I wasn't a big fan of this comment, I think he should be recruiting guys a bit more.

Comment

I think you're being a little too sensitive. It could have been a joke. He could have been serious and that's what Nene told him. Either way I don't see the problem and I'm unsure how you can draw a line between that and him not trying to talk guys into playing in Toronto. It's not even his job to recruit. Management typically asks players to get involved like that and then it's usually the stars who are out there recruiting guys.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
            Personally I think he is just saying it so he won't get traded. Most players don't want to move somewhere where they have no choice. He was close to opting out of his contract last year to go back to Brazil to play. I think he's really not that interested in staying here. He rather just wait till the offseason.

Ryan Wolstat: Leandro Barbosa walked in to the ACC. I asked him if his Brazilian buddy Nene was signing with Toronto. "No man, it's too cold."

I wasn't a big fan of this comment, I think he should be recruiting guys a bit more.
            Does Denver have palm trees and year round 30 deg. weather? Sometimes I wonder how stuff like that is just put out for consumption....and then consumed. I bet you Denver gets more snow than Toronto and possibly colder. Nene should take up skiing.

Comment

Some news on Calderon & Barbosa

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/NBA-sc...124909561.html

Comment

if they think its cold their a bunch of pussies thats all i can say.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Does Denver have palm trees and year round 30 deg. weather? Sometimes I wonder how stuff like that is just put out for consumption....and then consumed. I bet you Denver gets more snow than Toronto and possibly colder. Nene should take up skiing.
                  I am aware of Denver's climate, but Im concentrating more on our current player feeding the stereotype that Toronto is unbarably cold.

I still think he will walk if we don't trade him. That's all I was saying is that he doesn't really care to be in Toronto but he doesn't want to be moved to location not of his choice for the next couple months. He is not a player that we are going to move forward with. I think there is places we can spend that money on. Unless we get him for a ridiculous price ( Matt's suggested 9 million over 3 years.).

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                    I am aware of Denver's climate, but Im concentrating more on our current player feeding the stereotype that Toronto is unbarably cold.

I still think he will walk if we don't trade him. That's all I was saying is that he doesn't really care to be in Toronto but he doesn't want to be moved to location not of his choice for the next couple months. He is not a player that we are going to move forward with. I think there is places we can spend that money on. Unless we get him for a ridiculous price ( Matt's suggested 9 million over 3 years.).
                    I understand. The igloo myth is an old and tired "joke". This is really a case where a reporter trying to put "news" out there is doing a disservice to journalism by using the tweet medium where context is rarely possible...eg. did LB have a smirk on his face when he said it!

Comment

Barbosa should be traded at the deadline for a young asset and/or a top 20 pick aka Kabongo

Comment

I remember a game last season when he was the point guard, he was very productive, and not just scoring....

I honestly like Barbosa, I really do. He plays hard every night, and is a gel guy, and real professional. I love his attitude and demeanor, and I think if you wan't to be successful in the playoffs, he won't be an impact player, but will be a spark plug, and can help the team take smaller steps to enter a bigger step.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I have also always liked Barbosa going back to his playing days in LA and he is a huge spark plug, and the determination he plays with is inspiring. This year though he seems to have buried his head in the sand more than previous years and forgets he has four teammates on the floor. At a reasonable rate and after we have settled other needs I am open to it, as it helps the blend of experience and youth but not as the first move or two of the summer.
                          All that said I prefer to gain an asset by trading him he will still be available to resign.

Comment

in LA? barbosa used to play for phoenix...

Comment

If a late first round pick gets flipped the Raptors way and if Canadian talent is the flavour of the day, why not pick someone who is NBA ready like Kris Joseph? One of the best players on a very talented team, he's got a jump shot, he is fearless in going to the hoop, and with his athleticism he should be able to transition to NBA man to man defense.

Comment

Im intrigued by Joseph but haven't seen him play much at all. Is he probably declaring this year?
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X