Stefanski, Bower, Lindsey and Pritchard all Candidates for Raptors GM Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    I don't think that's it at all. I think the whole point of this is to free up more time. Right now Colangelo is doing two highly demanding executive jobs. I think the new GM will be given a directive and he will then go to work while always answering to Colangelo before anything is triggered. I feel Colangelo will still have a very strong voice and final say but I feel this move is meant to A.) reduce workload and B.) distance publicly distance himself from "front line" decision making and perhaps increase longevity in the organization.
    Agreed. This is essentially what I'm saying. Or was trying too anyway. haha
    I was trying to state it in a way that Pritchard might view the position.

I fully expect the next incumbent to have a very legitimate role.
    However I do not expect that someone to be Pritchard. I just don't see him as being happy answering to anyone, let alone a fellow Executive. He had enough problems with Paul Allen "meddling" in his workings; He will just view BC as just another someone else in his way.

Comment

If we've learned anything from Pritchard its that he's driven by money. He's going to make a lot more money as GM of the Raptors than ball boy for the Pacers.

Comment

Can't say he gives me that special feeling.

Comment

If we've learned anything from Pritchard its that he's driven by money. He's going to make a lot more money as GM of the Raptors than ball boy for the Pacers.
          Only making $200,000 a year with the Pacers ...
          So you're probably right. haha

Comment

LOL, yeah. The thing that trigger his self destruct in Portland was the fact that he was underpaid compared to most GMs in the league and was also making less than the coach who he hired.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Only making $200,000 a year with the Pacers ...
              So you're probably right. haha
              Poor guy only making 200K a year

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                Poor guy only making 200K a year
                Hahah, ya I had to italicize the 'only' part of that ... I felt dirty even just writing it.

Comment

Though Pritchard could have very well have been underpaid as GM of the Blazers, it would've been odd for him to compare his salary to that of his head coach's. NBA head coaches on average make around $3.5 million/year, where as NBA GMs make an average of roughly $2 million.

Bryan Colangelo makes $4 million/year, but he is one the highest paid executives in the league.

Comment

Agreed. This is essentially what I'm saying. Or was trying too anyway. haha
                    I was trying to state it in a way that Pritchard might view the position.

I fully expect the next incumbent to have a very legitimate role.
                    However I do not expect that someone to be Pritchard. I just don't see him as being happy answering to anyone, let alone a fellow Executive. He had enough problems with Paul Allen "meddling" in his workings; He will just view BC as just another someone else in his way.
                    I would look at it this way...Pritchard has now been without a gig for awhile and it would seem a asst. to the gm in Pacerland (consultant I think) is the best he could come up with. I would take the Raptors job if offered just to get some visibility for the desired absolute position he might seek. Then again he might also get that job right here if BC/mlse decided not to renew. Times are tough and he has been portrayed as a bit of a backstabber...not something execs/owners like when hiring someone to share their meeting room with. But the guy smells talent.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I'm sorry, but I don't see it. Why is Pritchard a good candidate? Looking at his history, I don't see any major deals or acquisitions. If anything the controversial resigning of Roy stands out as a problem:

http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._pritchard.htm

I would be looking for a GM that can be a good draft mover and shaker, or a GM that can sign lucrative contracts. I'm not sure I see that with Pritchard. Also he had issues with the ownership in Portland. Who's to say that he wouldn't have the same issues with Bryan and the future owner of the organization.

As for Stefanski - my biggest beef is he resigned AI. That one move makes me think he has no idea what he's doing.

If Bryan is really looking for a "roadie" then he should go after someone that is younger and has less experience. Someone like Lindsey maybe.
                      Pritchard pulled off a tremendous 2006 draft, getting two all-nba players in Aldridge and Roy. The Raptors got a giant steaming bucket of crap. Pritchard's draft added ten wins to the team's total the next season, and nine more wins the season after that. He built that team into a contender. He did make a mistake with Airball Oden, but nobody was questioning that decision at the time.

Comment

iono wrote: View Post
                        Though Pritchard could have very well have been underpaid as GM of the Blazers, it would've been odd for him to compare his salary to that of his head coach's. NBA head coaches on average make around $3.5 million/year, where as NBA GMs make an average of roughly $2 million.

Bryan Colangelo makes $4 million/year, but he is one the highest paid executives in the league.
                        It's not odd at all if he felt his contributions to the team's success we equally as great or greater and that his services were equally as high in demand of higher. You need to put yourself in his mind and what he might have been thinking was "real" at the time and not what you think with a clear mind. He obviously misjudged his market worth and he didn't handle his conclusion very tactfully.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                          Pritchard pulled off a tremendous 2006 draft, getting two all-nba players in Aldridge and Roy. The Raptors got a giant steaming bucket of crap. Pritchard's draft added ten wins to the team's total the next season, and nine more wins the season after that. He built that team into a contender. He did make a mistake with Airball Oden, but nobody was questioning that decision at the time.
                          Following the 2006 draft, The Raptors improved their record by 20 wins (15 more wins than Portland); with Bargnani deserving a good amount of credit.
                          Bargnani also came in Second for Rookie of the Year and earned an All-Rookie Team selection.
                          The following year we finished 6th in the conference and qualified for the playoffs. (And with the exact same record as Portland.)

Not sure how thats them being 'contenders' and us 'stuck with a bucket of crap.'

And most definitely questioned him selecting Oden over Durant. I questioned it quite emphatically actually.

Comment

Don't forget that the only reason Pritchard was able to have those strong draft classes was because Paul Allen went out and bought him a bunch of picks. MLSE isn't known for buying picks. He would have to do more with less in Toronto. That's just one factor to consider.

Comment

Don't forget that the only reason Pritchard was able to have those strong draft classes was because Paul Allen went out and bought him a bunch of picks. MLSE isn't known for buying picks. He would have to do more with less in Toronto. That's just one factor to consider.
                              I'm sure as hell not going to defend MLSE.

Comment

Following the 2006 draft, The Raptors improved their record by 20 wins (15 more wins than Portland); with Bargnani deserving a good amount of credit.
                                Bargnani also came in Second for Rookie of the Year and earned an All-Rookie Team selection.
                                The following year we finished 6th in the conference and qualified for the playoffs. (And with the exact same record as Portland.)

Not sure how thats them being 'contenders' and us 'stuck with a bucket of crap.'

And most definitely questioned him selecting Oden over Durant. I questioned it quite emphatically actually.
                                The improvement in bucket of crap's rookie season may have had something to do with A) huge improvement by Calderon in soph season, B) additions of new players like Nesterovic, TJ Fraud, and Anthony Porker. Bucket of crap spent the season playing back-end-of-the-rotation minutes, and so likely didn't have much impact.

Comment

Working...
                                X