No announcement yet.

Losing is a slippery slope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My personal sentiments are that Barea has no room to speak. He chose a long term deal with a perennial lottery team over taking a one year deal with the defending champs.He got what he signed on for.

Comment

I am not worried about a losing mentality as long as Casey is coaching. More ping pong balls please

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        And it didn't get the Raptors in to the top 3 either - despite finishing 3rd worst.

The top 3 teams will not be 1, 2, and 3. Hopefully the Raptors get one of the top three picks like NJ (#3) and LAC (#8) did last year.... of course, those teams traded their picks. Lesson here: always top 3 protect your pick!
        Utah (via NJ) was #6 in the draft order when they won the 3rd pick. I do agree.. let's hope the Raps win a spot in the top 3. #1 would be outstanding, but I'd settle for #2 or #3

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Utah (via NJ) was #6 in the draft order when they won the 3rd pick. I do agree.. let's hope the Raps win a spot in the top 3. #1 would be outstanding, but I'd settle for #2 or #3
          Right on with Utah/NJ..... a slip on my part.

I would love top 3. One of MKG or Beal would be great. As would trading down if one of those guys will still be around 5/6 and another team wants to get Drummond or Robinson while giving up an asset. Have I mentioned Wesley Matthews lately (sarcasm on my part, I mentioned him a few times)? Love that guy.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            LOL, I honestly didn't remember until you mentioned it.

Either way, that loss didn't seem to affect anyone during training camp.
            Winning this game will be a bitter pill to swallow - probably leading to an erosion of the fan base long term.
            A win is a twisted dagger in the hearts of the fans hopes and dreams for the future!! The promise of great things to come is the only reason to be a fan of this team. One hurtful win after countless losses will also leave a stain of mismanagement and resentment on the organization.

Comment

If the Raps lose tomorrow night, any fan should say thanks for a season of growth and defying expectations. A season going in the right direction. 40% of our starting lineup are D Leaguer's...not back ups...not even back ups to back ups. The outcome from the game is immaterial. But, if by chance, it lets us be fifth worst rather than 6th, that's more of a glass half full than ending on a winning note. Yes, teams can always jump up in the draft but that can happen to anyone and as a whole, those are the exceptions and most teams pick in the order they finish. I hope nobody's going to ask me for a reference on that one
              Last edited by Jclaw; Tue Apr 24, 2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Draft wrote: View Post
                Winning this game will be a bitter pill to swallow - probably leading to an erosion of the fan base long term.
                I think that's exaggerating things.

Comment

A win is a twisted dagger in the hearts of the fans hopes and dreams for the future!! The promise of great things to come is the only reason to be a fan of this team. One hurtful win after countless losses will also leave a stain of mismanagement and resentment on the organization.
                  LBF? Is that you?

lol

I understand the frustration but where did finishing 3rd worst land the Raptors last year?

A bottom 3 record does not guarantee a top 3 pick.

Comment

I disagree with this. All of it.

Comment

LBF? Is that you?

lol

I understand the frustration but where did finishing 3rd worst land the Raptors last year?

I think if we end up with the 5th pick again this year, we'd all be relieved.

Comment

LBF? Is that you?

lol

It is my belief that the declining fan base is a direct result of the perception that the team will never be able to win anything. They need to show the remaining fringe fans they can win with a loss the last game or risk further alienation!

Comment

It is my belief that the declining fan base is a direct result of the perception that the team will never be able to win anything. They need to show the remaining fringe fans they can win with a loss the last game or risk further alienation!
                          So yes? haha

Cheer up, buttercup! At least wait until May 30th and we find out where the Raptors draft before doomsday prophecies are declared.

And fringe fans stopped caring about a little over a year ago. They'll be back when the Raptors are pushing for a playoff spot. Hopefully that will be next year. To realistically answer that question we'll have to see what happens at the draft and in July.
                          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Apr 24, 2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Okay let's put this in perspective. If the Hornets win two against GSW and HOU (slim chances, but poissible), and SAC wins one against OKC or LAL (very slim, but possible), and if Cleveland wins against WAS and we lose, we would have an opportunity to be in a 4 way tie for the 3rd,4th,5th,and 6th picks. Chances are this doesn't happen and we have a good chance of being tied for the 5th and 6th pick with Cleveland.

If we win we have a chance of being tied with GSW for 7th or 8th.

I really don't see the upside in winning this last game at all. Who cares about one win in a losing season when you have a better chance of grabbing a player you want in the draft. Yes, there is a chance of moving to the top 3 via the lottery but the odds are not good.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                              Okay let's put this in perspective. If the Hornets win two against GSW and HOU (slim chances, but poissible), and SAC wins one against OKC or LAL (very slim, but possible), and if Cleveland wins against WAS and we lose, we would have an opportunity to be in a 4 way tie for the 3rd,4th,5th,and 6th picks. Chances are this doesn't happen and we have a good chance of being tied for the 5th and 6th pick with Cleveland.

If we win we have a chance of being tied with GSW for 7th or 8th.

I really don't see the upside in winning this last game at all. Who cares about one win in a losing season when you have a better chance of grabbing a player you want in the draft. Yes, there is a chance of moving to the top 3 via the lottery but the odds are not good.
                              Not only that, but the lower they finish the season, the lower they have the potential to fall. Being in a tie for 5th worst with Cleveland guarantees a top-9 pick. Being in a tie for 7th worst with Golden State means they could potentially pick as low as 11th! One game could easily mean the difference of 2-6 places in the draft, statistically speaking.

Comment

It's a sad commentary about your love of basketball or hometown support when a WIN leads to the erosion of a fanbase.

Comment

Working...
                                X