Vassilis Spanoulis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vassilis Spanoulis

Anyone know if we're still pursuing him?

I'm a fan of his beard.
    @sweatpantsjer

@sweatpantsjer

Comment

I like him a lot.

Comment

He will never come back to the NBA after the way he was handled in Houston.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Anyone know if we're still pursuing him?

I'm a fan of his beard.
          As a man who likes to wear some chin hair, I agree.

Comment

I like him, but he is on the wrong side of 30 and probably not wanting to come to a team that is not ready to compete yet.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              He will never come back to the NBA after the way he was handled in Houston.
              What happened?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Spanoulis agreed to play for Houston, at a price of $1,944,000 USD gross income per season, for 3 years, passing up on his former team Panathinaikos Athens' much larger offer of €1.6 million euros net income per season, over 3 years, just for a chance of playing in the NBA. Spanoulis made the Rockets' rotation,[33] but eventually, there was a falling out between him and Rockets coach Van Gundy, after Van Gundy benched Spanoulis, after the coach claimed that he had played poorly, citing that rookie players are dangerous for coaches that are in contract years, and that Spanoulis was too turnover prone and lacking in outside shooting touch to be a good fit in Van Gundy's offensive system design. Said Van Gundy about the situation: "(Spanoulis) says, 'I was [Tracy] McGrady back home.' Great. McGrady is McGrady here," .. "I feel badly for him. He feels he was misled. Frankly, he's been his own worst enemy in many ways. Some of it is excuses. His turnovers have been high; his fouls have been high; his shooting percentage has been low. I would rather anybody start out with self-evaluation — what can I do better? — versus lash out and blame. Because I'm not playing him now doesn't mean he won't play in the future or we don't feel he could be a good player. I think he's allowed his disappointment to go to discouragement, which has, at times, stunted his improvement. We'll see. We'll see."[34]
                From wikipedia

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  What happened?
                  Basically, he opted out of a lucrative Euro deal to go play for them after they acquired his rights. They said all the right things about wanting to bring him over and being high on him, but then JVG basically barely played him at all. All he wanted was an opportunity he didn't get...I mean, he didn't handle himself very well as shit happened, but he basically wouldn't have left for the NBA unless he thought he had a guaranteed role on a team. And Houston didn't exactly have stellar PGs, with Rafer Alston being their starter for the year. After the season he basically asked to be bought out so he could go back to Greece, which Houston did by trading him to San Antonio who bought him out. Anyway, he felt totally disrespected because he was basically treated like a 3rd stringer who had to prove himself from day one.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    From wikipedia
                    It should be noted the guy Van Gundy chose to start for the whole year was Rafer Alston....who led their team in minutes. He was not a good shooter (a streaky 3 pt shooter who couldn't do anything else really), and he was also turnover prone. When that's the guy being not just being played ahead of you, but you only see the court in 31 games, I'm sure it totally destroys your confidence and motivation....

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                      I like him, but he is on the wrong side of 30 and probably not wanting to come to a team that is not ready to compete yet.
                      You're assuming what his goals in coming to the NBA would be; NBA championship may not be the primary goal. For most players NBA championship is not the primary goal. Money is the primary goal.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        You're assuming what his goals in coming to the NBA would be; NBA championship may not be the primary goal. For most players NBA championship is not the primary goal. Money is the primary goal.
                        True, and he will get more money in Europe that he will in the NBA right now, and play on a winning team.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Well then tell me what he's being paid right now per regular season game over there and what's his total annual salary?

Comment

Google says he made 2.6M Euro in 2012, which is about 3.3M USD. Parker made $4M as a Raptor, and that was 7 years ago. I could see Spanoulis being tempted with a similar $4M/yr contract to come to the NBA. Just not sure if he's worth it though.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Google says he made 2.6M Euro in 2012, which is about 3.3M USD. Parker made $4M as a Raptor, and that was 7 years ago. I could see Spanoulis being tempted with a similar $4M/yr contract to come to the NBA. Just not sure if he's worth it though.
                              Many of the Euro contracts are not taxed as heavily as in the NBA as well, so that widens the gap.

I am not saying he wont come over, I am saying that I doubt Toronto is going to offer him a big enough contract to make him sign on with us to maybe make the playoffs?
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X