2012 Off-Season Report Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I'd say fields is an improvement over JJ. He'll end up being the much better player
    I hope you're right.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I'd say fields is an improvement over JJ. He'll end up being the much better player
      Agreed. as much as I love JJ, I have a feeling I'll love Fields even more. Shoots better, better bball IQ, same or better defensively (minus the blocked shots)

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
        Agreed. as much as I love JJ, I have a feeling I'll love Fields even more. Shoots better, better bball IQ, same or better defensively (minus the blocked shots)
        and his girlfriend is hot

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Matt how often do you hear tell of a significant move at the end of July and heading into August? I graded the off-season as a 70%. There were a lot of interesting young free agents that the Raptors could have went after. This was the off-season I think they should have capped out.

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... under no circumstances was this the summer to cap out

we are finally taking the right steps...now is not the time to sign bloated contracts and spend big

...6 new pieces have come in. Lets see what gels this season...shoot for 40 - 45 wins and let the league
          see us on the way up. We are not signing ANY INTERESTING free agents after a 23 win season...at least not without breaking the bank
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... under no circumstances was this the summer to cap out

we are finally taking the right steps...now is not the time to sign bloated contracts and spend big

...6 new pieces have come in. Lets see what gels this season...shoot for 40 - 45 wins and let the league
            see us on the way up. We are not signing ANY INTERESTING free agents after a 23 win season...at least not without breaking the bank
            If the Raps had gotten an established, upper tier wing I would disagree.

But because they did not, I do agree with your sentiments.

It might actually be better this way, assuming that elite wing is eventually added, because it gives an opportunity to see how the other pieces fit.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

^

Comment

I'm of the opinion that one of our most trade-able pieces is Ed Davis, and he really hasn't shown his potential yet. If you prescribe to the "buy low, sell high" theory than you just can't ship Ed out yet. I've seen him in a number of trade suggestions as somewhat of a throw in.. A guy that puts a deal over the top. We just throw him in thinking, "Meh, Ed Davis." The problem is, I would guess that the whole league feels that way about him. I wish we could showcase him a little this year and make a team that's holding a player like, say, Igoudala, a little more interested in what we have to offer.

Comment

We will see. I think for now I would argue Fields / LK is perhaps marginally better than JJ/LK .. but I think the characterization of that position as give or take equal to last year is pretty realistic.

Fields will still be our fifth starter (like JJ was) in terms of talent / contribution to the team. Hopefully hes able to be a better fit if he finds his shot again. If not .. I like we will find LF is eerily simlar to JJ (only he costs us 3x the price!)

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                    We will see. I think for now I would argue Fields / LK is perhaps marginally better than JJ/LK .. but I think the characterization of that position as give or take equal to last year is pretty realistic.

Fields will still be our fifth starter (like JJ was) in terms of talent / contribution to the team. Hopefully hes able to be a better fit if he finds his shot again. If not .. I like we will find LF is eerily simlar to JJ (only he costs us 3x the price!)
                    2.2x the price.

I think Fields last year is better than JJ.

If Fields returns to (or fingers crossed!) exceeds his rookie year form, he is without question a much better option than JJ - even at 2.2x the price.

Comment

75%

Love Lowry, perfect addition at a good price.
                      Remember watching Fields in his rookie year and thinking "why do we never get finds like that, he's awesome (in an unspectacular way)".
                      Feel like BC did a good job of improving and adding the right guys but was, like many, hoping for a big splash. I love Iggy and think he's perfect for this team so those rumours had me excited.
                      Have no opinion on Ross, can't help but think Drummond was a hugely missed opportunity but really wanted Barnes. Will just have to see how Ross fits I guess.

I like that we now have 3 starter positions filled and good players in Demar/Ross/Fields (hopefully) and still have good flexibility going forward. I want to see a perennial playoff team being built and I think that's happening.

Comment

Superchunk wrote: View Post
                        75%

Love Lowry, perfect addition at a good price.
                        Remember watching Fields in his rookie year and thinking "why do we never get finds like that, he's awesome (in an unspectacular way)".
                        Feel like BC did a good job of improving and adding the right guys but was, like many, hoping for a big splash. I love Iggy and think he's perfect for this team so those rumours had me excited.
                        Have no opinion on Ross, can't help but think Drummond was a hugely missed opportunitybut really wanted Barnes. Will just have to see how Ross fits I guess.

I like that we now have 3 starter positions filled and good players in Demar/Ross/Fields (hopefully) and still have good flexibility going forward. I want to see a perennial playoff team being built and I think that's happening.
                        Imagine a JV/Drummond front court in 3 or 4 years...

But he is a project, and for a team that wants to start winning sooner rather than later, he would not have been the right choice. I like Drummond in Detroit. They are going to rebuild around him and Knight and a few years down the line, they could have some talented players all taken through the draft.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                          Imagine a JV/Drummond front court in 3 or 4 years...

But he is a project, and for a team that wants to start winning sooner rather than later, he would not have been the right choice. I like Drummond in Detroit. They are going to rebuild around him and Knight and a few years down the line, they could have some talented players all taken through the draft.
                          Dont forget about Monroe. If Drummond can fit in at C, Monroe is going to be a perennial all-star.

Tesla wrote: View Post
                          and his girlfriend is hot
                          HUGE fan of your RR name hahahaha

Comment

Quito wrote: View Post
                            Dont forget about Monroe. If Drummond can fit in at C, Monroe is going to be a perennial all-star.
                            Oh for sure. They have made a bunch of great decisions with picks in the past few years. Didn't Greg Monroe grab like 19 rebounds vs. the Raps one of the last games? I think him and Drummond will thrive together with Monroe playing the 4.

Comment

I put 70%. Offseason isn't over yet but this poll I'm sure will get re-created later on and we'll vote again. Right now it's 70%. The team is better than last year but also even more inexperienced. Casey got his shooters and now he has some rookies to work and teach. If Landry Fields doesn't happen and we get someone for like $4M per, then it vaults up to 90% but for now it a black mark to an otherwise pretty good offseason. (This is based on Landry Fields' short career.. if he proves otherwise that he is worth that contract of his, then feel free to put up another poll).
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Quito wrote: View Post

HUGE fan of your RR name hahahaha
                                Thanks, just paying my respects

Comment

Working...
                                X