No announcement yet.

Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Based on the report, the Raptors would be sending Calderon, a young Raptor prospect & a future pick. I'm speculating that the young prospect is DeRozan. The article suggests that Memphis wants a less expensive small forward to plug into Gay's position. Add in Alan Anderson -- who fits the description perfectly.

From a Memphis stand-point, unloading Gay for DeRozan, a player who has similar production this season + Anderson (who seems like a Memphis type of player) + a future pick is enough.

If this is the case, then I wouldn't mind having Rudy Gay in the line-up. It makes the most sense to me, at least.

Keep in mind that we are not allowed to trade consecutive firsts. Assuming the Raptors continue winning at their pace (which is right around .500), we will miss the playoffs --> OKC gets the first rounder for 2013 --> we keep our 2014 pick --> Memphis receives 2015 pick.

The idea is developing a core of Lowry, Ross, Gay, Davis and Valanciunas, with Fields and Amir as primary role players. This still leaves us with the option of using the amnesty on Kleiza or Bargnani (should we not be able to find a suitor for Primo).
    Last edited by torch19; Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:44 AM.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
      Based on the report, the Raptors would be sending Calderon, a young Raptor prospect & a future pick. I'm speculating that the young prospect is DeRozan. The article suggests that Memphis wants a less expensive small forward to plug into Gay's position. Add in Alan Anderson -- who fits the description perfectly.

From a Memphis stand-point, unloading Gay for DeRozan, a player who has similar production this season + Anderson (who seems like a Memphis type of player) + a future pick is enough.

If this is the case, then I wouldn't mind having Rudy Gay in the line-up. It makes the most sense to me, at least.

Keep in mind that we are not allowed to trade consecutive firsts. Assuming the Raptors continue winning at their pace (which is right around .500), we will miss the playoffs --> OKC gets the first rounder for 2013 --> we keep our 2014 pick --> Memphis receives 2015 pick.

The idea is developing a core of Lowry, Ross, Gay, Davis and Valanciunas, with Fields and Amir as primary role players. This still leaves us with the option of using the amnesty on Kleiza or Bargnani (should we not be able to find a suitor for Primo).
      Apparently, core pieces being moved are Davis, Calderon, 2nd Round Picks.
      The expectation is that Memphis acquires a cheaper wing/small-forward from a third team, the very same team that Calderon possibly goes too.

Legion Sports posted a possible deal of Pierce to Memphis, Gay to Toronto, Davis + Calderon to Boston.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Apparently, core pieces being moved are Davis, Calderon, 2nd Round Picks.
        The expectation is that Memphis acquires a cheaper wing/small-forward from a third team, the very same team that Calderon possibly goes too.

Legion Sports posted a possible deal of Pierce to Memphis, Gay to Toronto, Davis + Calderon to Boston.
        Memphis wants to shed Gay's contract. Pierce's contract is just as expensive as Gay's, so this doesn't make sense for Memphis.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
          Memphis wants to shed Gay's contract. Pierce's contract is just as expensive as Gay's, so this doesn't make sense for Memphis.
          Pierce's contract is only guaranteed for $4-5M next season.

Comment

• By far the best news I'm heard:

In a proposed deal, Memphis would likely receive another young Raptors player and a future draft pick, sources said. The Grizzlies have unsuccessfully tried to pry Raptors rookie Terrence Ross as part of the deal, sources said. Toronto has deemed Ross untouchable in these talks.
            http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--gr...033758281.html

The Grizzlies seem to be the team driving the discussions is a good sign as well especially when Ross is untouchable:

The Grizzlies have inquired with multiple teams over the past several days, searching for a willing partner to facilitate a three-team deal, sources said.

Comment

• I have to say, the front article scared the crap out of me when I learned that a draft pick is involved. Colangelo always overpays. I'm still for this trade but if that future pick is a first round pick, I...
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

• Ross=Untouchable. thank you BC

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                  I have to say, the front article scared the crap out of me when I learned that a draft pick is involved. Colangelo always overpays. I'm still for this trade but if that future pick is a first round pick, I...
                  It could be a 2nd round pick.... right? right? Right? Ugh, probably not.

There will have to be some serious explanation on the parameters of the pick.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                    I have to say, the front article scared the crap out of me when I learned that a draft pick is involved. Colangelo always overpays. I'm still for this trade but if that future pick is a first round pick, I...
                    I don't know how a first rounder can be included. The Lowry pick pretty much makes it impossible for Toronto to include a pick.

Here is how that pick works for OKC (via Houston):

2013 first round draft pick to Oklahoma City
                    Toronto's own 2013 1st round pick to Oklahoma City via Houston (Top-3 Protected and 15-30 Protected in the 2013 Draft, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2014, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2015, top-1 Protected and 15-30 protected in 2016, top-1 protected and 15-30 Protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft. [Houston-Toronto, 7/11/2012 and then Houston-Oklahoma City, 10/27/2012]

So the pick cannot be used until after 2018 unless the Raptors fail to make the playoffs one time and don't win the lottery. The Raptors do not have another teams first rounder either, so if Memphis wants a 1st round pick it would have to be from a 3rd team.

*EDIT: I guess it could technically work if Memphis is okay with a guaranteed non-lottery pick. So that if the Raptors make the playoffs between 2013-2018 then the pick is there's. Not sure if Memphis would want a non-lottery pick though.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      By far the best news I'm heard:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--gr...033758281.html

The Grizzlies seem to be the team driving the discussions is a good sign as well especially when Ross is untouchable:
                      I read that quote about Ross being untouchable this morning and just had a sigh of releif. I was starting to get the feeling BC was after Gay like Captain Ahab was after Moby Dick. Glad he's maintaining some common sense. Having a hard time beleiving nobody could use Calderon's services or his expiring contract.

Comment

• Let's get this done BC!

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I don't know how a first rounder can be included. The Lowry pick pretty much makes it impossible for Toronto to include a pick.

Here is how that pick works for OKC (via Houston):

2013 first round draft pick to Oklahoma City
                          Toronto's own 2013 1st round pick to Oklahoma City via Houston (Top-3 Protected and 15-30 Protected in the 2013 Draft, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2014, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2015, top-1 Protected and 15-30 protected in 2016, top-1 protected and 15-30 Protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft. [Houston-Toronto, 7/11/2012 and then Houston-Oklahoma City, 10/27/2012]

So the pick cannot be used until after 2018 unless the Raptors fail to make the playoffs one time and don't win the lottery. The Raptors do not have another teams first rounder either, so if Memphis wants a 1st round pick it would have to be from a 3rd team.

*EDIT: I guess it could technically work if Memphis is okay with a guaranteed non-lottery pick. So that if the Raptors make the playoffs between 2013-2018 then the pick is there's. Not sure if Memphis would want a non-lottery pick though.
                          I believe the Raptors could send them a "first allowable pick".

I am not 100% certain though.

Comment

• I'm not down with the Gay/DD comparisons.

Sure, right now, there are some statistical similarities - actually a lot - but their games are different. Gay would provide a much different look on defense and is much more polished/skilled offensively and can create his own.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I'm not down with the Gay/DD comparisons.

Sure, right now, there are some statistical similarities - actually a lot - but their games are different. Gay would provide a much different look on defense and is much more polished/skilled offensively and can create his own.

Would you be down with both of them playing for the Raptors? I feel like their games wouldn't compliment eachother very well but I could be wrong

Comment

• Im pretty sure the deal will go down as losing Calderon +Davis +Anderson and maybe 2nd round pick a lot of this deal is seeming more and more likely, before Memphis wanted too much but Raps really want Gay, glad Ross is off the table.

heard the report about the 3rd team wouldnt be surprised if its Dallas and in return we get Gay and Arthur for our trouble well worth it imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X