Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vick signs $100M contact with Eagles... Are you happy for him?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vick signs $100M contact with Eagles... Are you happy for him?

So back in 2004 at the pinnacle of the first Michael Vick craze(pre-dog killing saga) Vick signed $130M, ten year deal. Unfortunately for the Falcons and all those abused and killed dogs, Vick turned out to have some issues with animal cruelty. He was caught and punished by serving time in jail, having his $130M contract voided and losing out on millions more in endorsement money. Fast forward to 2009. Donvan McNabb, who is a class act, pulled some strings and got Vick a gig as a 3rd string QB in Philly. Unfortunately for McNabb, Vick's play in practice impressed the Eagles to the point where they kicked their franchise QB to the curb and felt more than covered moving forward with Kolb and Vick. Then came the 2010 season. Kolb gets rocked early on in the season, is forced to miss some games and Vick goes on to pretty much dominate the league. The Eagles then put the franchise tag on Vick and only a season after dealing their franchise QB they turn around and dealed their envisioned franchise QB of the future (Kolb) to the Cards. That brings us to this:

The National Football Post has learned that Michael Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed on a new six-year contract through 2016 for $100 million.

Vick, who was carrying a Franchise tag Cap number of $16.2 million, will have his Cap number for 2011 reduced to $14.4 million.
    Source: NationalFootballPost.com

Yahoo is reporting that there is "approximately $40 million guaranteed" on this new contact.

Wow. From sensation, to most hated athlete in America to sensation yet again. Does he deserve this? Do you look at him now the same way as before the whole dog fighting fiasco? Has he fully redeemed himself? Are you happy for him?

I couldn't be happier for Vick to be honest.

I was really disappointed after hearing about all the Dog fighting BS, but the man is an Elite level Athlete and an Elite level Football player.

Michael Jackson was a great musician. Not a child Rapist.
    Tom Cruise is a great Actor. Not a Religious Freak.
    Tiger Woods is the GREATEST golfer of all time. Not a Sex Addict.
    Michael Jordan is the GREATEST Basketball player of all time. Not a Compulsive Gambler.
    Kobe Bryant is a Champion. Not a Rapist.
    And Michael Vick is one of the most Unique, Gifted QBs Football has ever seen. Not a Dog Killer.

We pay to see them as professionals, and the best at what they do, do what they do best.
    If they just so happen to have hobbies that I don't approve of, well, I don't pay to admire them as Flawed Human Beings.
    I pay to admire them as Extraordinarily Gifted entertainers.

Comment

Mike Vick is not the most gifted QB the league has even seen. Tell that to Brett Favre, John Elway, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Hell, add in Aaron Rodgers while you're at it because as biased as I am on Rodgers, he has the numbers and the hardware to backup my claim.

Being able to run really fast doesn't make you the most gifted QB of all time. If he makes it deep into the playoffs he's going to have to beat teams with his arm.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Mike Vick is not the most gifted QB the league has even seen. Tell that to Brett Favre, John Elway, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Hell, add in Aaron Rodgers while you're at it because as biased as I am on Rodgers, he has the numbers and the hardware to backup my claim.

Being able to run really fast doesn't make you the most gifted QB of all time. If he makes it deep into the playoffs he's going to have to beat teams with his arm.
        Unique was the key word in what I was saying about Vick.
        He is one of the most UNIQUE QB's to ever play the game. Just so happens dude is talented as f*ck.

And I also said "One of" not "the".
        Relax Apollo haha
        Last edited by Joey; Tue Aug 30, 2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

What? No Troy Aikman on that list? What a farce!!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Unique was the key word in what I was saying about Vick.
            He is one of the most UNIQUE QB's to ever play the game. Just so happens dude is talented as f*ck.

And I also said "One of" not "the".
            Relax Apollo haha
            I want to see him win a ring or prove he can at least get to the dance. No doubt he's fun to watch. I tell you one thing, he's not going to cement his legacy with the greats by running the ball and exposing himself to punishing hits all the time. He needs to settle down into the pocket and master that. Running needs to become an after thought to punish teams, not the basis of his whole game... That is unless he doesn't mind retiring early and not collecting all that fat contract. Let's not forget he's 30.

Mack North wrote: View Post
            What? No Troy Aikman on that list? What a farce!!
            The main thing I don't like about Cowboys fans is that everything has to be about the Cowboys.

Comment

Michael Jackson was a great musician. Not a child Rapist.
              Tom Cruise is a great Actor. Not a Religious Freak.
              Tiger Woods is the GREATEST golfer of all time. Not a Sex Addict.
              Michael Jordan is the GREATEST Basketball player of all time. Not a Compulsive Gambler.
              Kobe Bryant is a Champion. Not a Rapist.
              And Michael Vick is one of the most Unique, Gifted QBs Football has ever seen. Not a Dog Killer.
              The difference between Vick and the rest of them is the whole "proven guilty in a court of law" thing

but i have a soft spot for dogs. So i wish nothing but the worst in life for Vick. Testicular cancer for starters would be nice.

Comment

Is it wise to give someone who's 31 who relies on their athletic ability a 100 million contract? How good is that contract gonna look in 3 years time when he's 34?

Comment

I keep wanting to insert drawings of dogs by Hitler and relate it to how we somehow should not care about actions in life by artists or athletes, but end up deleting my posts.

Comment

I also wondered what Tim's wife was thinking about the religion discussion with her background in comparative religion, but I'm not sure he follows these threads. Wait, let me call him:

BARGNANI DEFENDED REALLY WELL TODAY!

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                      BARGNANI DEFENDED REALLY WELL TODAY!
                      HAHAHA

Look in the Sky... the Tim Signal!!

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        I keep wanting to insert drawings of dogs by Hitler and relate it to how we somehow should not care about actions in life by artists or athletes, but end up deleting my posts.
                        This is actually a great analogy, Euro:

Does one need to know of the autracities Hitler commited, for one to admire his art work?

Its a beautiful painting; regardless of the Monster that created it.

Comment

Does one need to know of the autracities Hitler commited, for one to admire his art work?
                          same goes for tom cruise.

he made a good movie once. 1983. The Outsiders. It's all been downhill since then

Comment

This is actually a great analogy, Euro:

Its a beautiful painting; regardless of the Monster that created it.
                            If Hitler painted you a beautiful family portrait would you hang it with pride above your mantle for all to see?

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                            same goes for tom cruise.

he made a good movie once. 1983. The Outsiders. It's all been downhill since then
                            Me and my fiance watched "Knight and Day" not too long ago. It came out last year. We liked it. It was pretty funny for a romantic comedy I was dragged to see. He's been in many movies worth watching and I do not think he's ever been known as the second coming of Marlon Brando or anything to begin with. Anyway, Tom Cruise hasn't committed any crimes, he just did very poorly in broadcasting a fake public image of himself and happens to practice in something that most of us think is kind of goofy. Vick was the ring leader of animal torture and killings and now he's a hero. It is funny that is easily forgiven overnight when on the flip side, a guy like Pete Rose hurt no one and he will be vilified for life.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Me and my fiance watched "Knight and Day" not too long ago. It came out last year. We liked it. It was pretty funny for a romantic comedy I was dragged to see. He's been in many movies worth watching and I do not think he's ever been known as the second coming of Marlon Brando or anything to begin with. Anyway, Tom Cruise hasn't committed any crimes, he just did very poorly in broadcasting a fake public image of himself and happens to practice in something that most of us think is kind of goofy. Vick was the ring leader of animal torture and killings and now he's a hero. It is funny that is easily forgiven overnight when on the flip side, a guy like Pete Rose hurt no one and he will be vilified for life.
                              I'm not hating on Tom.. i just think the majority of his movies range from crap to mediocre... and the only standouts, aren't standouts because they're good movies... they're the awesomely campy ones (Top Gun, Cocktail, Risky Business)

The lone exception being The Outsiders. What a fantastic movie that was.

Comment

Working...
                              X