No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see how Kyrie Irving plays coming back from injury before we annoint him our saviour?

Personally, I'm a fan of Sullinger. The kid is a bull in a china shop, playing big minutes as a freshman on a team that is undefeated so far to date. That's impressive.

Comment

• EverythingBlaxx wrote: View Post
      Developing Perry Jones at the SF spot would be the best look for the Raptors going forward. And what makes you think that Sonny Weems will get another contract here at the end of the year? The only reason I can see Colangelo even making him an offer is because Kleiza just had microfracture surgery. We really have to strengthen the team at the wing positions, in all these years, we still haven't done anything to replace Vince and T-Mac
      I am not convinced that Perry Jones' future in the NBA is as a Small Forward, I truly see him as a Mobile 4 man like Andre Blatche, KG. He has good form on his shot but has range only to 17 feet, given his dominant frame and mobility he is only and average rebounder and does not get the blocks and steals you would expect. I like his upside, but I don't want to draft a guy that is nto a small forward and try and turn him into one. Remember what we did to Andrea early, in and out of the lineup at 3 different positions, and we still have people that think he should play the 3.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• I don't want the team to pass on the best player available, draft based on need and then end up with a dud when they could have had a stud. Trades can be made later to make the pieces fit. Always take the best asset available.

Comment

• Frankthetank wrote: View Post
          i like terrence jones around the 3-5 pick. He looks like the real deal at the 3 position. WHich in my oppinion is our weakest position. Kleiza and wright aren't considered quality threes. Point guard is a position of need for a big time athete, we have one highly skilled point in Caledron and a semi atheletic bayless. So either we get a rose/westbrook style point guard or we go with another position.
          I like terrence jones as well.

Comment

• KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
            ^ ur talking about calderon right?..lol
            Most certainly am. Not sure whats funny about that...

Let's explore:
            Calderon's hitting 41% of his 3's for the season.
            Since December 1st he has averaged 11 assists per game.
            Not to mention averaging over a steal per game, and 45% from the field.

Sounds pretty DAMN solid to me for a starting PG.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
              I am not convinced that Perry Jones' future in the NBA is as a Small Forward, I truly see him as a Mobile 4 man like Andre Blatche, KG. He has good form on his shot but has range only to 17 feet, given his dominant frame and mobility he is only and average rebounder and does not get the blocks and steals you would expect. I like his upside, but I don't want to draft a guy that is nto a small forward and try and turn him into one. Remember what we did to Andrea early, in and out of the lineup at 3 different positions, and we still have people that think he should play the 3.
              Not sure of the last time I heard someone suggest Bargs play SF, but I probably would have laughed at them.

I think Perry Jones will likely end up getting put at PF like you suggested, only to spend his entire career being Jeff Green.
              Could be flourishing and blooming at SF where he was a Speed, Height, Reach advantage over most opposition.
              His 17' Range can very easily be expanded.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Not sure of the last time I heard someone suggest Bargs play SF, but I probably would have laughed at them.

I think Perry Jones will likely end up getting put at PF like you suggested, only to spend his entire career being Jeff Green.
                Could be flourishing and blooming at SF where he was a Speed, Height, Reach advantage over most opposition.
                His 17' Range can very easily be expanded.
                I agree about Green being more of a 3 than a 4, but I don't think he would be an all-star on the wing, I see Green as a Luol Deng very good, but not quite a star. Jones is a little different as he has great length for a 4 and is not undersized like Green. As for expanding his range, how has that worked for DeRozan so far? Jones is averaging 12.5% from the college 3, I don't see him becoming a threat from NBA 3 any time soon.

As for Bargs as a 3 I am with you, I laugh every time I see someone mention that, but even tis year I have read post on other forums that want as a 3, hell some people have mentioned Amir developing as a small forward.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

As for expanding his range, how has that worked for DeRozan so far?
                  Look at Derrick Rose, Shannon Brown and even Monta Ellis as perfect examples.
                  Derozan has done quite commendably at extending his range thus far. Considering he's still 21 years old and has now pretty consistently (arguable, but still) hit the 20 foot jumper.
                  I think if you look at guys like Rudy Gay, Gerrald Wallace and Josh Smith as well, they all came in with VERY spotty long range jumpers but have now made it a fairly consistent weapon within their arsenal. I wouldn't not pick a guy just because of an iffy jumper. Now if his work-ethic to improve said jumper is lacking, THAT is where the problem lies.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Look at Derrick Rose, Shannon Brown and even Monta Ellis as perfect examples.
                    Derozan has done quite commendably at extending his range thus far. Considering he's still 21 years old and has now pretty consistently (arguable, but still) hit the 20 foot jumper.
                    I think if you look at guys like Rudy Gay, Gerrald Wallace and Josh Smith as well, they all came in with VERY spotty long range jumpers but have now made it a fairly consistent weapon within their arsenal. I wouldn't not pick a guy just because of an iffy jumper. Now if his work-ethic to improve said jumper is lacking, THAT is where the problem lies.
                    Rose shot 33.7% from 3 in his one year at Memphis
                    Shannon Brown shot over 35% over his 3 years at Mich ST.
                    Ellis in his first NBA season shot 34%

I am not saying Jones can't or will not become a good shooter with range, I am saying that it should not be a main focus on his development as he has other things he brings to the table.... as a power forward!
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• What does it even matter if he can hit threes? I think people in Raptorland greatly overrate the three ball because it's been such an important piece to this mediocre franchise for so long... The kid got talent and there are no indications that he is incapable of learning.
                      Last edited by Apollo; Mon Feb 7, 2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Someone who can hit the three would be nice but I want a very strong perimeter defender and a rabid rebounder at the 3 spot on this team more than anything else.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Someone who can hit the three would be nice but I want a very strong perimeter defender and a rabid rebounder at the 3 spot on this team more than anything else.
                          Wait a year for Michael Gilchrist. Or try to swing a deal for Brewer.

Comment

• I am warming back up to Barnes, he has a huge game vs. Duke on Wednesday, I think it will tell us where he is in his development.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I am warming back up to Barnes, he has a huge game vs. Duke on Wednesday, I think it will tell us where he is in his development.
                              I watched the game vs. North Carolina State (C.J. Leslie). At the time itw as his best game of the year (25pts) but I came away from it thinking, "He is a spot up shooter." Everything I had read about him before was how he could create his own shot off the bounce in addition to shooting. I'm hoping he gets it together and that game vs. Duke is going to be a good one.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                I watched the game vs. North Carolina State (C.J. Leslie). At the time itw as his best game of the year (25pts) but I came away from it thinking, "He is a spot up shooter." Everything I had read about him before was how he could create his own shot off the bounce in addition to shooting. I'm hoping he gets it together and that game vs. Duke is going to be a good one.
                                In High School he was a can't miss slasher. Could get past anyone.. I think now he is just adjusting to actually having to think on offense and use his talent to get past people and not rely on the fact they are just not as talented.
                                The fact that he has shown an ability to knock down the open jumper is a huge plus as it basically seperates him from the MANY other slashers coming into the NCAA. Once he gets tired of jackin' shots he'll fall back on his bread and butter, and show his real potential as a multi-dimensional wing. Hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X