Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're not getting Durant, how do we build a contender then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kopite91 wrote: View Post
    I think the Raptors in 2016 will be what the Suns were this summer aka a team that's young, has a couple stars, a good supporting and a lots of cap space. Enough to give max salary to one dude and maybe even two if Ujiri does his job well. But like Phoenix, Toronto will have little to pitch for Kevin Durant... therefore Masai will have to gamble a bit and roll the dice on the development of Ross and Valancuinas. If we can make major forays in the Eastern Conference the new couple seasons, there might be that chance of us signing a bigtime player.
    Technically the suns didn't have any stars. If the raps keep following the same path they've been on since December 8th they should be better than the suns this year (suns didn't make the playoffs, I'd like to think that in 2016 the raps would have a chance to make the playoffs if they were a western conference team).

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Apparently Durant grew up watching the Bullets now... not the Raptors ... damn ...
      "I grew up watching the Bullets/Wizards. I grew up taking the train to that arena, all the time, to watch Georgetown, the Bullets, the Washington Mystics. That whole city is a part of me. It's in my blood. I love going back home, seeing my family and playing there, but I love Oklahoma City, too."
      Source

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
        Apparently Durant grew up watching the Bullets now... not the Raptors ... damn ...
        By 2016 he will be an Oklahoma City Thunder fan since 1962.

Comment

not sure why everybody keeps saying there's no chance Durant signs with the Raps in 2016.

The team just signed an arguably Top 5 player in his free agent class, made the playoffs the year before and took a veteran team to 7 games, brought back its core with young guys oozing of potential and a fan base that goes nuts with every regular season win. i mean, common, give the Raptors credit. its not like they still have players named Sow or solomon. the team is deep and proven that they can win. the team is headed in the right direction. and they have money to spend once Durant becomes available.

if durant sees the team is constantly winning, getting into the playoffs with potential to be a contender, why not?
          because he grew up in washington? common now. jordan was born in ny and he never even considered playing for the knicks. magic grew up in michigan and hated the pistons. not everybody is going to follow the Lebron route. He has a history with the Cavs, Durant has no history with the Wizards.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
            not sure why everybody keeps saying there's no chance Durant signs with the Raps in 2016.

The team just signed an arguably Top 5 player in his free agent class, made the playoffs the year before and took a veteran team to 7 games, brought back its core with young guys oozing of potential and a fan base that goes nuts with every regular season win. i mean, common, give the Raptors credit. its not like they still have players named Sow or solomon. the team is deep and proven that they can win. the team is headed in the right direction. and they have money to spend once Durant becomes available.

if durant sees the team is constantly winning, getting into the playoffs with potential to be a contender, why not?
            because he grew up in washington? common now. jordan was born in ny and he never even considered playing for the knicks. magic grew up in michigan and hated the pistons. not everybody is going to follow the Lebron route. He has a history with the Cavs, Durant has no history with the Wizards.
            because there are tons of teams that qualify as that.

and a lot that are closer to being a contender, and a lot with more proven track records.

washington is in pretty much the exact same spot as the raptors except they made the 2nd round last year and are Durant's hometown.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
              The most entertaining and likely (imo) path to a contender:

1. Get as close to a contender as possible.
              2. Maintain flexibility.
              3. Sustain that play over years.
              4. Hope for a breakthrough from a development, coaching, drafting, free agency perspective that pushes you over the top.

In the end, you have to get lucky to win a championship, and I think that's as good a path as any. Plus it's more fun to watch a competitive team try and make that leap year in year out, than to watch the tank-contend cycle.

What it comes down to is that there is NO surefire way of winning a championship, any number of things outside of your control can derail a meticulous strategy.
              In agreement. There are so many factors to consider. It is not out of the realm of possibility that we could go to NBA finals next year. JV is the key--if he continues to progress like the end of last season. Also if TR goes MIA in playoffs JJ could prove highly valuable.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                I really don't think Durant is going to sign here, it just doesn't make any sense. Pretty much every major market team will have significant cap space that year, as well as many other teams in the league. Signing Durant is a pipe-dream.

Now with that in mind, how do we build a title contender?
                This is how you build a contender.

Comment

and a lot that are closer to being a contender, and a lot with more proven track records.

washington is in pretty much the exact same spot as the raptors except they made the 2nd round last year and are Durant's hometown.
                  Washington's frontcourt is iffy. Nene , Hump, Blair and Gortat are hanging on by a string. Add Paul Pierce and by 2016 Wiz could be bad. They went all in for 2015 and they were barely over .500 last season.

Comment

A ton of teams are opening up cap space for 2016. A ton. "We've got cap space, a promising core, and a franchise KD kind of likes!" sounds like it describes several teams already.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                      A ton of teams are opening up cap space for 2016. A ton. "We've got cap space, a promising core, and a franchise KD kind of likes!" sounds like it describes several teams already.
                      The only teams that have a good chance will be top two each conference. Outside chance top four. That means only 8 teams have a chance and not all will have cap space or the upside. Teams outside the top four seeds have no chance.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        The only teams that have a good chance will be top two each conference. Outside chance top four. That means only 8 teams have a chance and not all will have cap space or the upside. Teams outside the top four seeds have no chance.
                        Really? Tell that to LeBron.
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

I'd respectfully disagree. 'Melo, Bosh, and Lebron all just shunned teams with better records for teams with worse records (or about to have worse records, in Bosh's case), for a variety of reasons. KD will believe he'll be able to take a number of decent teams over the top, not only the top couple seeds.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                            I'd respectfully disagree. 'Melo, Bosh, and Lebron all just shunned teams with better records for teams with worse records (or about to have worse records, in Bosh's case), for a variety of reasons. KD will believe he'll be able to take a number of decent teams over the top, not only the top couple seeds.
                            Melo went for the money. Bosh resigned to a city he likes. LeBron went back to the first city who drafted him and his home city. If Durant has to choose between OKC or a non- top 2 team he'll go back to OKC and make the max. Taking less money for a non - top team makes little sense.

Comment

Melo went for the money. Bosh resigned to a city he likes. LeBron went back to the first city who drafted him and his home city. If Durant has to choose between OKC or a non- top 2 team he'll go back to OKC and make the max. Taking less money for a non - top team makes little sense.
                              how is 'KD going back to his home city" ala lebron outside the realm of possibility? especially with the wizards on the rise and arguably way closer to contending than the cavs were before lebron re-signed.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                                how is 'KD going back to his home city" ala lebron outside the realm of possibility? especially with the wizards on the rise and arguably way closer to contending than the cavs were before lebron re-signed.
                                Isn't but he never played for Washington as a pro. LeBron returning is different than Durant. Durant has no relationships with the Wizards as a player.

Comment

Working...
                                X