2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    If the Raptors draft a big man Bargnani is as good as gone. My hope is that they can work something for the #2 pick involving Bargnani heading to Minnesota, while they retain the #5. At that point they're in the drivers seat of the 1st round. They can take a high profile PG or big man with the #2 and #5. They would be able to manipulate the draft to make sure they get what they want at #5. For example, they know the Jazz might look to draft a big man at #3 but we know for sure that the Cavs want one at #4. If the Raptors get the #2 and let it be known they're taking Kanter or Val, which ever guy the Cavs want at #4, then maybe the Cavs flip the script and take Williams #1 overall and grab Knight or Walker at #4. Meanwhile the Raptors could take Irving at #2. See where I'm going with this? With the #2 and #5 picks the Raptors would have a lot of power early in the draft. They could work it to get the two prospects they want or they could use the picks to leverage a trade.

There is a scenario that could play out where the Raptors would land both Irving and Kanter with the #2 and #5. Wouldn't that be crazy? Let's hope that Colangelo stay the frontrunner for the #2 pick and getsit done without having to give up DeRozan or Davis.
    If we could get the #2 pick from Minnesota for a package centered around Bargnani without giving up the #5, then that would be an ideal draft for Toronto. I like your ideal scenario of getting Irving with #2 and Kanter with #5, but it is a long shot for Cleveland to pass on both Irving (with #1) and Kanter (with #4). The reports that have stated that they would prefer Valanciunas over Kanter have said it is because Cleveland would want to partner Valanciunas with Irving due to their Pick n' Roll styles.

If they passed on Irving to take Williams, I think they would then prefer Kanter over Valanciunas.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• It they pass on Irving who's to say they take a big at all at #4?

Comment

If the Raptors draft a big man Bargnani is as good as gone. My hope is that they can work something for the #2 pick involving Bargnani heading to Minnesota, while they retain the #5. At that point they're in the drivers seat of the 1st round. They can take a high profile PG or big man with the #2 and #5. They would be able to manipulate the draft to make sure they get what they want at #5. For example, they know the Jazz might look to draft a big man at #3 but we know for sure that the Cavs want one at #4. If the Raptors get the #2 and let it be known they're taking Kanter or Val, which ever guy the Cavs want at #4, then maybe the Cavs flip the script and take Williams #1 overall and grab Knight or Walker at #4. Meanwhile the Raptors could take Irving at #2. See where I'm going with this? With the #2 and #5 picks the Raptors would have a lot of power early in the draft. They could work it to get the two prospects they want or they could use the picks to leverage a trade.

There is a scenario that could play out where the Raptors would land both Irving and Kanter with the #2 and #5. Wouldn't that be crazy? Let's hope that Colangelo stay the frontrunner for the #2 pick and getsit done without having to give up DeRozan or Davis.
        That would be a great scenario.

I still feel the CLE/MIN/DET deal plays out. It makes a lot of sense for everyone involved especially if DET can get a veteran and/or draft pick (#32 from CLE and Ridnour from MIN, maybe?).

CLE gets Irving and Williams, buys out RIP. They have Jamison, Hickson, Varejao, Harangody, Samuels, and Erden at PF/C already. Not sure Kanter would be what they are looking for.

Minnesota gets 4 and 8. Next a package centered around Bargnani/Flynn to Sacramento and Calderon/Garcia to Minnesota that gives TOR 4 in addition to 5 would be more than feasible in my opinion. Obviously there would be some additional pieces thrown in to make contracts work and more returning to Toronto than just the 4.

A big if, but if ALL that happened, Utah is the wildcard at 3.

Knight may not be available at 4 or 5 but I would not feel bad about walking away draft night with Kanter and Walker.

Comment

Makes sense. Kemba would hurt the guy's draft status.
          Pretty much. It is the same situation as Kemba not going against Jimmer: nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Comment

It they pass on Irving who's to say they take a big at all at #4?
            Very true! If they were to take Williams with the #1 pick it would be to shore up their SF spot which is just awful right now (Joey Graham as starter?). Then at #4 both Knight (assuming Utah doesn't grab him) and Kemba become serious options for them. I guess my mind was a little focused simply on a big.
            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• So what're people's boards looking like for the Raps?

In no particular order: Knight, Walker, Kanter, Leonard, Valuncianas, and maybe Vesely.

All these guys might be fits in different ways, although I hesitate with Vesely more than any because if he's not able to play 3 our clog at the 4 gets worse.

Comment

• ===================================

If we don't draft a PG with our first round pick I hope we get a 2nd round pick for this guy (if he's there).

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Pretty much. It is the same situation as Kemba not going against Jimmer: nothing to gain and everything to lose.
                  I don't think it's like that at all. Kemba is being talked about at the same picks as Knight. Fredette isn't really being talked about in the top ten even.

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  So what're people's boards looking like for the Raps?

In no particular order: Knight, Walker, Kanter, Leonard, Valuncianas, and maybe Vesely.

All these guys might be fits in different ways, although I hesitate with Vesely more than any because if he's not able to play 3 our clog at the 4 gets worse.
                  Vesely is on no board of mine at #5. I'd rather have Burks over him and Burks is more like in 8-12 range in most mocks.

Comment

• Just watching the bit on the score right now about the Kemba/Knight workout. Both seem like great kids. Walker will probably be able to help sooner but I think knight has a brighter future. I like them both, tho. Of the two of them and Kanter I think whoever the raps pick will be a solid piece in the puzzle.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Breakdown on Kanters Game by Draftexpress

Offense

Looks good offensively

Defense

I don't think we can afford to put him next to Barny. Ed yes but, definitely no for Barny

for more on this Kanter Breakdown read this article
                      http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...s-Kanter-3743/
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ESPN Insider article on Jonas Valanciunas Potential in the NBA

This is an NBA Draft that is devoid of big men, so Lithuania's 7-foot, 245 pound 19-year-old, Jonas Valanciunas, has a lot of interest from teams in the lottery. At his age, there is no doubting his intriguing potential, but expecting him to help a team right away is unrealistic.

More critically for teams in position to select him is projecting where Valanciunas' game will be five years from now. It is not inconceivable to some NBA personnel that he could be the best player in this draft by then -- of course the risk is that the NBA executive that drafts him could be fired by then.

Playing Background

Valanciunas has played in virtually every major European junior tournament since he was 16 and he has been one of the continent's most prolific talents. In fact, he has been Europe's Under-16 MVP and its Under-18 MVP in two different summers. He plans to play for Lithuania's European Champions in July's Under-19 World Championships in Latvia. It will be his fifth straight summer representing his country.

This past season, in his first full season in the Euroleague, Valanciunas averaged almost eight points and six rebounds in 15 minutes on 71 percent shooting from the field as an 18-year old. That doesn't sound like much, but only a handful of the Top 25 high school seniors in the United States could realistically accomplish that.

Future Position

Valanciunas may be the best, or more precisely, the only pure low post center at the top of this draft. While his long-time European rival, Enes Kanter, measured out at 6-foot-11 and 260 pounds, Kanter has the skill level play both inside and out and will likely be utilized that way. The young Lithuanian is going to spend most of his eventual NBA career within 10 feet of the rim.

Athleticism

I am a big fan of Valanciunas' athleticism for a young player his size. He runs the court well and jumps well. In addition, he has a reasonable quick second jump around the basket, making him a potentially effective offensive rebounder and shot blocker.

His major drawback at the moment is his lack of NBA-level strength, balance and defensive acumen in the paint. In fact, many times this past season, Valanciunas was manhandled around the basket by older and more mature Euroleague post players. It is the single main reason it will be hard for him to log major minutes right away in the NBA.

Skill Level

While Valanciunas has tremendous offensive potential, it is based more on his athleticism than his skill level. Right now, he scores most of his points off energy plays like offensive rebounds, fast breaks and in the screen-and-roll game, where he gets a running start to the rim.

His lack of strength doesn't allow him to get close enough to the basket to utilize any low post moves yet. And, his passing out of the post is average at this point. But, based on the fact that he is a near 90 percent free throw shooter this season, there is an expectation that an offensive game can be developed as he physically matures. That is critical because he shows, at this point, no propensity for playing on the perimeter.

Attitude and Disposition

Despite his lack of strength right now, Valanciunas is a competitor who did not back down this season as a teenager in a man's league. Even when he was getting beaten up, he played hard and with emotion and showed a mature disposition as he took his pounding. His motor runs at full throttle and he looks like he loves to play.

Best Case Scenario: Pau Gasol

There are athletic similarities between Gasol and Valanciunas but I emphasize here that this is a bestcase scenario. Both were highly successful at the European junior level as both won Under-18 European titles. And, both contributed at the highest level of European basketball as teenagers.

Don't expect for Valanciunas to have the same impact as Gasol did in his rookie season. As the No. 3 pick in the 2001 NBA Draft by the Atlanta Hawks, Gasol was traded to the Memphis Grizzlies for Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Then, as a 20-year old in his first NBA season, he went on to average 17 points and nine rebounds.

If Valanciunas plays in the NBA this coming season, he will be one of the youngest players in the league at 19. However, with a potential lockout looming, it would not surprise me if the young Lithuanian spends another year honing his skills in Europe. While it won't make fans of the team that drafts him happy, it may be the best way for him to mirror what Gasol did in his rookie year.
                        I like him better than Kanter plays hard all the time with huge motor. We could put him next to Barny or ED.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• While he's not my first choice (or second of third...) I could get behind Jonas. The general consensus seems to be at worst, he'll be a serviceable center for years to come. Not too shabby, especially considering how weak this draft is supposed to be.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Breakdown on Kanters Game by Draftexpress

Offense

Looks good offensively

Defense

I don't think we can afford to put him next to Barny. Ed yes but, definitely no for Barny

for more on this Kanter Breakdown read this article
                              http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...s-Kanter-3743/
                              The second video is nothing like what I've seen from him. In the Nike Summit game and the European game I saw he showed excellent rebounding skills and above average defensive skills. If this video is all you've seen from him, I can imagine you'd be hesitant about him. Watching it, it looked like when someone is playing against players who are well below their level, which is backed by this quote from the article:
                              "He played against weak competition there, which was clearly not ideal for his development.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...#ixzz1OkDcUhnl
                              http://www.draftexpress.com"
                              I still like Kanter and think he'd be a perfect frontcourt mate for Davis. He's obviously got a lot of room for growth, but for a guy who has played as little as he has, he's pretty damn polished, which tells me something about him.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                ESPN Insider article on Jonas Valanciunas Potential in the NBA

I like him better than Kanter plays hard all the time with huge motor. We could put him next to Barny or ED.
                                I'd like him better than Kanter if he didn't have two rather major weaknesses. His penchant for fouling and his rather stone-like hands. Big men with bad hands can be a killer, and Valanciunas would average more than 7 fouls per game per 36 minutes. That's more than Amir at his worst. Taking a gamble on Amir wasn't a big deal because they gave up very little to get him. With Valanciunas you're gambling with a 5th pick in the draft. I'm not saying he'd be a bad pick, but I actually think Kanter is a safer pick, quite frankly.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X