X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The annual "15 pounds of muscle" watch

This year it's Andrea:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ogical-stress/

(Background: http://www.slamonline.com/online/blo...r-musclewatch/ )

Another 15 pounds on Andrea is not something I want to hear unless it is accompanied by his speed and agility have also increased or he lost 20 pounds of fat.

Comment

Hopefully that is the weight of the new chip on his shoulder he needs to bring to play at a higher level !

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Another 15 pounds on Andrea is not something I want to hear unless it is accompanied by his speed and agility have also increased or he lost 20 pounds of fat.
        “I’m really happy that he’s come into camp in great shape, 15 pounds heavier, stronger but he’s playing at that high level that we saw last year,” Casey said.
        As long as it's not 15 pounds of fat (which it doesn't sound like according to Casey), I'm okay with it. We all keep saying that Andrea is soft anyways, so maybe he's gotten a lot stronger and will actually use that new strength in his game. We'll see come the season-opener or even the pre-season.

Comment

15lbs of muscle is a lot in that time frame. He must be dumping lots of whey in that Primo.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            15lbs of muscle is a lot in that time frame. He must be dumping lots of whey in that Primo.
            Last year he looked like he struggled in the post up, and to me it looked like he just didnt have the power in his legs to move the bigger guys. Working your legs hard is an easy way to put on some muscle mass without sacrificing speed and agility. To me his upper body looks marginally larger and I personally dont want to inspect under his shorts.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              The article only said "15 pounds heavier." Thread title is misleading.

You are absolutely right though. Nobody adds 15 pounds of muscle unless they are 'roiding it huge. In fact I would find it hard to credit a bodybuilder with adding 15 pounds of muscle between the end of the season and now.

Comment

I don't think 15 pounds is that much considering the last game of the season for the team was April 26th and his was the 8th. That's just short of 6 months since he's played so even if he took 3 months to rest and do nothing (He's put on weight naturally by not working out) 5 pounds of muscle for 3 straight months is not out of this world. His weight isn't a concern for me it's his health and his fitness.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                  I don't think 15 pounds is that much considering the last game of the season for the team was April 26th and his was the 8th. That's just short of 6 months since he's played so even if he took 3 months to rest and do nothing (He's put on weight naturally by not working out) 5 pounds of muscle for 3 straight months is not out of this world. His weight isn't a concern for me it's his health and his fitness.
                  Have you ever trained hard enough to put on 3lbs of muscle in a month? Then follow that up with intensive training for five more months to make it 18?

Comment

not to be a downer, but you ill informed fans are forgetting one scenario. The weight gain was unintentional, and was put on (and not lost) when he was recovering from his injury.

I don't think it's in bargnani's best interest to put on any weight, especially when he looked his most explosive at the beginning of last season at his lightest. Anyways we will see if he has lost any speed soon enough.

personally, I think the only person who should be happy about the weight gain is ED.

Comment

Some of that could easily be attributed to his body naturally maturing into a man's body. Look at any big man when he's 20 vs 26, and except for the "skinny as a rail" guys, there's a big difference almost always.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                        not to be a downer, but you ill informed fans are forgetting one scenario. The weight gain was unintentional, and was put on (and not lost) when he was recovering from his injury.

I don't think it's in bargnani's best interest to put on any weight, especially when he looked his most explosive at the beginning of last season at his lightest. Anyways we will see if he has lost any speed soon enough.

personally, I think the only person who should be happy about the weight gain is ED.
                        Douchey post of the month: Start your reply with 'You ill informed fans'

Comment

Something else to consider is the quality of the weight. I'm not 7 feet but I am 6'7"-8". I started working out seriously again in May of this year. First few weeks in I went from 250 down to 245. I was pleased because I had let myself go relative to the shape I was once in. Then I weighed in about 4-5 weeks in and I was back to 250. Then weighed in after 2 months and I was 255. I was feeling pretty down until I looked at the pictures I had taken on the 22nd of each month. There was a huge difference in appearance. As everyone knows muscle does weigh more than fat. I do hope Andrea has added good weight versus a summer of grandma's pasta.

Comment

15 lbs is a lot for the average human being to gain in 6 months. But for a 7 footer who "naturally" weighs 240 lbs, 15 lbs represents a small proportion.

If John Lucas said he gained 15 lbs, I'd be like, "Goddamn!". But it isn't nearly as impressive for the likes of Andrea, Jonas, Bynum, Howard, etc.

Lastly, we're not quite sure if we're talking about a 6 month, or twelve month window. They might be comparing Andrea's current weight to his 2011 preseason weight.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post

the best part of this is he is wrong...he gained the weight by being in the weight room and lifting since he wasn't playing
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X