15th man- Backup Centre or 3rd PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    How about using Amir and Tyler where they fit best, at PF and not at C? Lou Williams is a much better PG than either of those guys are at C. Lou Williams is also a better PG than Hayes is at C. You see where I'm going with this? The dropoff at backup C is far more extreme than the drop off to 3rd PG. Lou Williams is a better backup PG than anyone we saw in summer league. With Kendall Marshall out of the picture I don't see us picking up anyone we could reasonably give minutes to at PG ahead of Lou Williams. I see plenty of guys I'd give minutes to at C ahead of Hayes.
    Very good point. At this point I don't know what we should do. Keeping the spot opened and waiting until we absolutely have to fill that spot makes sense. But after reading your post it probably makes more sense to fill the center spot after all.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
      I still get the feeling that Mr. Ujiri is going to make one more move.
      Any moves will have to wait until Norgueira's staus has been resolved, probably this week. It seems at least three other top European teams are after him. A good sign for the Raptors, but not for his availability next season.

Comment

2 year deal to Oden with a team option in year 2? If our training staff could get him healthy enough for 15 minutes a game he'd be a steal. Fits with the high risk/reward players at the 3rd string slot.
        That's actually a pretty interesting option. It's also a weird risk. It's high in the sense that he could end up not being a contributor at all. It's low in the sense of cost, and the fact that we already have a platoon of decent bigs even if we lack a true backup C. I mean, it is a depth option, so the risk isn't really that high, is it? I'd be fine with it.

I would be cool with this. Although looking at the other thread on the Raps salary cap situation, I'm also cool not doing anything at the moment to wait and see if other options become available, even in the sense of clearing some room.

Comment

its gonna be a pg, and most likely Marshall if he accepts cheap contract

Comment

brosoverhoes1 wrote: View Post
            most likely Marshall if he accepts cheap contract
            Marshall was picked up off waivers by the Milwaukee Bucks. The only way he comes to Toronto would be via trade, which cannot happen until 30 days after the beginning of next season.

Comment

If Bebe is available to us we're not going after another backup C - there is simply no sense in having four centers on the roster (Jonas, Hayes, Bebe and backup), not when Jonas should be getting thirty minutes a night, Hayes and Bebe 12-14 combined and the remainder being taken up by a power forward in small-ball lineups.

Our fifteenth player should be a point guard, and the reason Masai hasn't filled the role yet is twofold:

1. He's going to bring Kabongo and a couple others to training camp and let them battle out for it; and
              2. He's keeping an eye on Phoenix to see if Tyler Ennis becomes available.

Comment

Considering that we don't have much to spend left, I'd rather just play Bebe than getting some crappy center to play. Let's just pick up a decent 3rd string PG from SL and call it an offseason.

Comment

Def don't need another C. Third string PG is much bigger need, but not a huge need with Williams. Prob be a training camp thing. I could see Kabongo getting an unguaranteed deal for the feel good Canadian story.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I'd like Deandrea Kane
                    Myself (March 2014):
                    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                      If Bebe is available to us we're not going after another backup C - there is simply no sense in having four centers on the roster (Jonas, Hayes, Bebe and backup), not when Jonas should be getting thirty minutes a night, Hayes and Bebe 12-14 combined and the remainder being taken up by a power forward in small-ball lineups.

Our fifteenth player should be a point guard, and the reason Masai hasn't filled the role yet is twofold:

1. He's going to bring Kabongo and a couple others to training camp and let them battle out for it; and
                      2. He's keeping an eye on Phoenix to see if Tyler Ennis becomes available.
                      Very good point. In the podcast on the homepage Zarar and the boys made a good point. Masai probably isn't going to bring in a decent back up center because if he does that Casey is for sure not going to play Jonas the amount of minutes he should. Jonas needs to be getting thirty minutes a game and if you have some veteran big man backing him up that actually has skill (unlike Hayes) Jonas will not see those kind of minutes. Also Masai and Casey have referred to 3rd string point guard as a need way more than backup center so I highly doubt they try and fill that position. If Bebe can come over I think they're going to stick with Jonas, Bebe and Hayes.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                        Very good point. In the podcast on the homepage Zarar and the boys made a good point. Masai probably isn't going to bring in a decent back up center because if he does that Casey is for sure not going to play Jonas the amount of minutes he should. Jonas needs to be getting thirty minutes a game and if you have some veteran big man backing him up that actually has skill (unlike Hayes) Jonas will not see those kind of minutes. Also Masai and Casey have referred to 3rd string point guard as a need way more than backup center so I highly doubt they try and fill that position. If Bebe can come over I think they're going to stick with Jonas, Bebe and Hayes.
                        Good point. So should we be worried about James Johnson and Lou Williams getting all of Ross's minutes?

Comment

Good point. So should we be worried about James Johnson and Lou Williams getting all of Ross's minutes?
                          Casey and his stupid rotations make me sick

Comment

Possibly. The only reason I say no is because Lou Williams can't play small forward and Johnson is more for the bigger guards and small forwards that Ross can't handle. Most of the shooting guards and small forwards in this league Ross can handle. Also Ross fits beside Derozan much better than Johnson because Ross can shoot the three, Johnson cannot. I guess that's where Lou might take his minutes but you don't want Derozan playing Small Forward too much and also Lou and DD aren't good defenders. You would want someone who can play defense beside both of them. So Ross still might not get the minutes he should but I think it will be better than last year.

Comment

Possibly. The only reason I say no is because Lou Williams can't play small forward and Johnson is more for the bigger guards and small forwards that Ross can't handle. Most of the shooting guards and small forwards in this league Ross can handle. Also Ross fits beside Derozan much better than Johnson because Ross can shoot the three, Johnson cannot. I guess that's where Lou might take his minutes but you don't want Derozan playing Small Forward too much and also Lou and DD aren't good defenders. You would want someone who can play defense beside both of them. So Ross still might not get the minutes he should but I think it will be better than last year.
                              You make sense but Casey doesn't. Ross will get playing time because Casey doesn't hate him like Johnson or Fields. Lowry, Lou and GV will be the problem.

Comment

I never thought about this until now, but that makes a lot of sense. Casey would definitely play the back up big over JV, and that in turn would hinder his growth.

Kabongo would be a great fit for the 15 spot.
                                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X