Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TRADE: Turkoglu For Barbosa and Jones (Update On Pg. 29)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe we should have traded the TPE for Tyreke Evans or Stephen Curry...

Come on.

Have you heard of looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Be pleased we just dropped our two longest contracts and our two worst defenders, and gained flexibility in 2011-2012.
    Balding Spalding - NBA Analysis and Coverage

Comment

• What do you guys have against Belinelli. He's a 24 year old SG who can shoot, pass, handle the ball, run the offense, drive and play defense. Yes, he's inconsistent, but it's definitely worth keeping 1 more year until his contract expires to see if he can put it together. He's currently he most skilled SG the Raptors have and his playmaking skills will be needed more than ever now that Turkoglu and Calderon are on their way out.

I certainly hope it's either Banks or Evans that are going. Their losses would be felt and you're not going to end up regretting trading either of them.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
        What do you guys have against Belinelli. He's a 24 year old SG who can shoot, pass, handle the ball, run the offense, drive and play defense. Yes, he's inconsistent, but it's definitely worth keeping 1 more year until his contract expires to see if he can put it together. He's currently he most skilled SG the Raptors have and his playmaking skills will be needed more than ever now that Turkoglu and Calderon are on their way out.

I certainly hope it's either Banks or Evans that are going. Their losses would be felt and you're not going to end up regretting trading either of them.
        I am a big fan of Beli but my problem with him is that he does not realize that his fade away 3 shots with the defender in his face are killer for his game.

If Beli took little more conservative shots, then he would be a great addition to any team. Right now, he is just too inconsistent to get minute.

Hope he can change the way he plays but I have a feeling that he will not which is too bad. He has a great court vision.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
          What do you guys have against Belinelli. He's a 24 year old SG who can shoot, pass, handle the ball, run the offense, drive and play defense. Yes, he's inconsistent, but it's definitely worth keeping 1 more year until his contract expires to see if he can put it together. He's currently he most skilled SG the Raptors have and his playmaking skills will be needed more than ever now that Turkoglu and Calderon are on their way out.

I may be wrong about this, and I'll understand if people disagree with me, but my problem isn't just that Beli is inconsistent. It's that he's a shoot-first guy AND he's inconsistent. Last season, it killed me watching players like Wright and Beli kill rallies by deciding they were going to play the hero.

Barbosa can offer everything Beli can, as well as the work ethic he picked up from his friend Nash in Phoenix. If we can spare a 2, and we can, I'd rather lose Beli and keep the strong relationship DeRozan and Weems have built.

Comment

• Any chance that Triano tries to give Belli some minutes at the PG spot? We all know he shows some stretches of good passing and the ability to run the pick-and-roll, so if Triano can somehow harness this and limit his "hero-shots" then he and Barbosa can split some of the back-up PG duties. Thoughts?

Comment

• JYFelony wrote: View Post
              Any chance that Triano tries to give Belli some minutes at the PG spot? We all know he shows some stretches of good passing and the ability to run the pick-and-roll, so if Triano can somehow harness this and limit his "hero-shots" then he and Barbosa can split some of the back-up PG duties. Thoughts?
              Could Happen, depends on how Bellinelli shows up to practice everyday. Every sign points to Bellinelli getting rare minutes this year but if he just impresses all the coaches during practice/injuries to either Weems or DeRozan would also give him a chance. Its really either up to him or luck if he plays at all this year.

Comment

• Like Tim has mentioned, Belli is still young at 24 and he has the necessary tools to become a great role player. Yes, he may be inconsistent but it looked to me that he tried to force his offense with the limited playing time. I say give him one more year and more PT then it'll be fair to be more critical of his game.

Comment

• Raptor Cowboy wrote: View Post
                  What exactly do you think a trade exception gets you? It gets you a player that teams are willing to salary dump.
                  how is that relevent to my post about boris diaw not being anything like lamar odom...

show me where i said anything about the TPE or go back and learn how to read

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I love this trade from a salary perspective, but view it as a temporary solution personnel-wise, which I am fine with. My only concern is that the Raps would be left with 4 SGs (DeRozan/Weems/Barbosa/Belinelli) and just 1 legit PG (Jack), unless they plan to use Barbosa as the backup PG... more deals in the works??
                    I think Barbosa is more than capable playing back up PG. Remember how effective he was as backup to Nash until Dragic came.

Comment

• Wow. Colangelo criticism has to be placed in neutral. Finally, some moves that make sense. Excellent. Why couldn't he have done something like this least year? Two guys who defend and rebound and a high octane combo guard for the bench... AND he has the TPE still to use.

Comment

• My thoughts long-term:

Raptors have Chandler expiring this year for $13 million and Diaw, Barbosa and Belenelli for about $20 million next year.

Depth Chart

C Chandler
                        PF Barganani
                        SF Diaw
                        SG DeRozan
                        PG Jack/Barbosa

Bench

C/PF Johnson
                        C Alabi
                        F Kleiza
                        F Davis

F/C Dorsey
                        SG Weems
                        SG Belenelli
                        PG Jack/Barbosa

1. I'm thinking that Colangelo has to either flip Chandler before his expiring is up or sign him long term.

2. Need to acquire an elite guard with the TPE.

Comment

• the BIG deal - what is missing

Depending on how Dwayne Jones' years of service are calculated he is due as much as $990k. From what I can tell:

9.80 .. Turkoglu
                          FOR
                          7.10 .. Barbosa
                          0.99 .. Jones

Total $8.09 * 1.25 = $10.11 (so this trade works)

9.00 .. Calderon
                          5.08 .. Evans
                          0.99 .. Jones
                          FOR
                          12.75 .. Chandler
                          9.00 .. Diaw

Total $15.07 * 1.25 = $18.84 (short $2.91 so trade doesn't work)

Where are the missing salary$ coming from? Is it as simple as $3 million cash from the Raps to the Bobcats?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            I didn't watch Bobcats games but I've watched many Suns games and a player doesn't change over night but the system may not fit him. Do you remember a guy named Hedo Turkoglu?
                            defensively boris isnt that good...
                            its not like in phx he was a good defender... if anything in charlotte larry brown tried to teach him how to be a better defender and just couldnt.

i dont see how the hedo turkoglu referece is relevent here but to answer your question yes i remember hedo as well as some of the other players who played for the raps last season ?

your point ?

Comment

• BTW, although this trade is failing the trade-checker, once you consider the Suns' TPE, it works:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2eqfrjr

In this case the Raptors would not have to use their own TPE.

Comment

• Coojma wrote: View Post

1. I'm thinking that Colangelo has to either flip Chandler before his expiring is up or sign him long term.
                                Why? He's playing for his next contract and he buys them a year to see how quickly Davis can develop.
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                                X